Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM   #4921

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonynwa View Post
Hacks all of them - why they didnt use widescreen is beyond me
Realistically though, Lynch and Whedon were just using the standard ratio for TV at the time -- it wasn't necessarily an artistic choice. Lynch has used widescreen for all his film work.

Some directors seem to genuinely prefer academy though - or at least think it is more suitable for their work - like Andrea Arnold. And some others use it achieve a period effect (e.g. Wes Anderson).
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #4922

Nov 2010
Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
Realistically though, Lynch and Whedon were just using the standard ratio for TV at the time -- it wasn't necessarily an artistic choice. Lynch has used widescreen for all his film work.

Some directors seem to genuinely prefer academy though - or at least think it is more suitable for their work - like Andrea Arnold. And some others use it achieve a period effect (e.g. Wes Anderson).
Kubrick is an interesting example. He would shot academy ratio and then manipulate the image from there. People to this day argue over the "correct" aspect ratios for some of his films.
What did the Director of Photography of the X-Files (season 1-3) really say about 16:9:

"QUESTION: How do you see television changing?
BARTLEY: I could take a month to answer that question. Things are always changing, and they are also staying the same. We shot The X Files in Super 35 format and framed for 4:3.
We protected for 16:9, because we knew it was coming. We also do that on Lost."
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #4923
Expert Member

May 2009
Default New Royalty Free Songs?

Did anyone else notice that in the new HD Netflix streaming version of "Beyond the Sea" that the Sinatra Bobby Darrin title song played at Captain William Scully's funeral has been replaced by a French language version? I wonder how many other songs (which Fox would otherwise have to pay royalties for) have been replaced in the new HD Netflix copies? Anyone noticed anything similar to this?

I'm sure there are bound to be other examples of this sort of thing. One possibility that comes to mind immediately where royalties might be involved is the Vandals song "Live Fast, Diarrhea" that plays at the end of "D.P.O." (I'm not sure if that episode is HD yet, haven't checked) I imagine that if Blu-rays of this series are ever released, that the same altered tracks we hear on Netflix would be used. So, if you care about this sort of thing, hold on to those original DVDs!

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; Yesterday at 07:35 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM   #4924

Jul 2011
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
Did anyone else notice that in the new HD Netflix streaming version of "Beyond the Sea" that the Sinatra title song played at Captain William Scully's funeral has been replaced by a French language version? I wonder how many other songs (which Fox would otherwise have to pay royalties for) have been replaced in the new HD Netflix copies? Anyone noticed anything similar to this?

I'm sure there are bound to be other examples of this sort of thing. One possibility that comes to mind immediately where royalties might be involved is the Vandals song "Live Fast, Diarrhea" that plays at the end of "D.P.O." (I'm not sure if that episode is HD yet, haven't checked) I imagine that if Blu-rays of this series are ever released, that the same altered tracks we hear on Netflix would be used. So, if you care about this sort of thing, hold on to those original DVDs!
I didnt notice that myself, but if they replaced "wonderful, wonderful" in s4's Home episode, i'll freak!
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #4925
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bBop87 View Post
I didnt notice that myself, but if they replaced "wonderful, wonderful" in s4's Home episode, i'll freak!
Yes, that's an even better example! I would hope that Fox paid what ever they needed to to retain the original Mathis song, as it would profoundly change the feel of the episode to lose it, as would swapping it with a crappy cover by someone else.

Apparently this isn't a problem! See Benh911f's reply below.

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; Yesterday at 07:38 AM. Reason: Incorrect assumption
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #4926

Nov 2011
Boston

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that in the new HD Netflix streaming version of "Beyond the Sea" that the Sinatra title song played at Captain William Scully's funeral has been replaced by a French language version? I wonder how many other songs (which Fox would otherwise have to pay royalties for) have been replaced in the new HD Netflix copies? Anyone noticed anything similar to this?

Wow just checked the Beyond the Sea part, that's really terrible that they would do that. And the original in the show is Bobby Darrin, not Frank Sinatra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bBop87 View Post
This is hopefully safe, since it's a cover version, and not Johnny Mathis.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #4927
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post
Wow just checked the Beyond the Sea part, that's really terrible that they would do that. And the original in the show is Bobby Darrin, not Frank Sinatra.
Oops! You're right, it was Darrin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post
This is hopefully safe, since it's a cover version, and not Johnny Mathis.
Ah, good to know! My memory was that it was Mathis. Sounds like it will be intact.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #4928
Expert Member

May 2009

I guess another episode to look at would be "The Post-Modern Prometheus" as it has several Cher songs, which she apparently originally gave Carter permission to use. Hopefully what happened in "Beyond the Sea" was just Fox penny-pinching some early episodes.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #4929

Jul 2011

Have there been any updates on this, like a complete series collection? I'd bet the farm it will come out when the 6-episode revival hits Fox next year. But then, it didn't happen for 24, so no guarantees.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #4930

Apr 2012
Bumf*ck Nowhere, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver31 View Post
I wouldn't buy it in it's 4:3 format I prefer widescreen always have, I'm sure many others feel the same and as has been said before people want to fill there screen, I think the screen shots look amazing and if that's a sample of the quality and framing we'll get on blu-ray I'm happy with that.
Actually, it was stated with heavy incredulity.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #4931

Jul 2014

Quote:

Ah, good to know! My memory was that it was Mathis. Sounds like it will be intact.
Wasn't it going to be sung by David Nutter before they got a soundalike? Apparently Mathis flipped out when he heard the context of the song in the episode & refused to let them use his version. A blessing in disguise I guess in terms of music rights.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #4932
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Eww, music replacement would definitely be a turn-off in a complete BD set. Maybe they will pay for the music there without paying for it on streaming.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #4933
Expert Member

Oct 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Eww, music replacement would definitely be a turn-off in a complete BD set. Maybe they will pay for the music there without paying for it on streaming.
If it's on the DVDs it'd be on the BRs I'm sure. Likely just a streaming rights issue.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #4934
Expert Member

May 2009

Here is a list of music used in The X-Files, taken from outside sources:

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/List_o...utside_sources
Thanks given by:
Josh of the Decade (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #4935
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava_Lander View Post
If it's on the DVDs it'd be on the BRs I'm sure. Likely just a streaming rights issue.
It will depend on how the contracts were written, if there's specific wording or a time limit, then there may be issues, hopefully there won't be any or they get resolved for the BDs. Something like Quantum Leap has different audio in different territories because of the different rights holders to the music and the technicalities of the contracts and usage of those rights.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #4936
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It will depend on how the contracts were written, if there's specific wording or a time limit, then there may be issues, hopefully there won't be any or they get resolved for the BDs. Something like Quantum Leap has different audio in different territories because of the different rights holders to the music and the technicalities of the contracts and usage of those rights.
Yep, it can get very complicated. Here's some more info about synchronization royalties if anyone's interested:

http://www.newindustrytips.com/tag/s...ion-royalties/
Thanks given by:
Josh of the Decade (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #4937

Mar 2012
Nomadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post

Oh I'm sure. My response was a sarcastic one to someone claiming 4x3 was an unviable format since 1953
Protecting is not the same as framing.

"Choose to serve one construct and at times you must impair the other" - David Simon
"We shot The X Files in Super 35 format and framed for 4:3" - John Bartley
"I'm imagining that they'll be released in 4:3" - Chris Carter
"The fabulous episodes of BUFFY...were shot in the TV 4:3 ratio" - Joss Whedon
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists