Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Rambo 1-3 Box Set (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Sword in the Stone (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #761
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Something wrong with pale Asians?
Well, no, of course not. But there is something wrong with bleaching a character's given skin tone. As you can see from this screenshot, Mulan did not in fact have a pale skin tone.

Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #762
Special Member

May 2010
Colorado, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
YOU GUYS!!

The only reason she really didn't like the dress was because it restrained her movement whiel she was trying to shoot, and the reason she rejected her mother's notion of femininity had more to do with the inclusion of an arranged marriage and that being bound to "duty".
Am I the only one who thinks that Merida just... wasn't.. ready?

I mean she clearly says it. She isn't completely against the idea of an arranged marriage, she is just not yet ready to give up all her adventures and free time. She never said that she completely disagreed with the idea of marriage. And Yes, I can see her point. She is 14 years old! She just wasn't ready.

Look at this scene:
[Show spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAMogS92Uw

"The Princess is not ready for this" But then she says that she "might never be ready for this" out of anger.
But what gets is what she later says:
"I'm just not ready".
You can tell from her voice how sincere and burdened she is and her facial expression shows her fear of disappointment and abandonment. Trust me, from a person who has disappointed and disagreed with their parents about many things, including the idea of an arranged marriage, that felt really sincere and heartfelt.
This is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. The music is perfect, the voices are amazing, the animation is breathtaking. I always discover something new after watching it. I have seen it many times, and I am not yet ready to stop watching it.

This movie is just perfect.

Quote:
So Merida dolling up with makeup and pretty glittery dresses? That's totally in character for her.
I agree with you on this. But what bothers me the most is that she just doesn't fit in. She looks too different to be put in that line. I mean Rapunzel looks like a princess. Heck, all of them were meant to look like princesses. I don't see them as being real humans of flesh and bone. They seem like characters created for an animated movie to fit into a little girl's imagination. Whereas, Merida looks like a someone who could be a real human. Her hair is way too wild to fit into the princess profile. He dress isn't all that royal-grand-gown (?) like the other princesses. She just looks normal compared to all of them. It's ironic, that the one princesses that people don't want to associate that title with is actually the only realistic one!
Now I am ok with them adding her to the line, and yes, the small waist did get my attention but to me that character will always be associated with the movie she was in. And honestly, I think she has a bigger behind/waist (I don't know what to call it and I don't know female anatomy that well) than Nicki Minaj.
That's what I always thought.

Quote:
Though of course, I'll agree it's a bit problematic to consider they have actually changed her face.
In my honest opinion, they made her less attractive. Her face is just too weird. I don't know.. I think it's just her eyes. They don't look like her. She suddenly has black eyelashes. She had red ones in the movie, I just checked. And I hate to say anything about the color, but her skin is way too bright compared to her original CGI.
[Show spoiler]

It's just like what you said about Mulan.
Her hair on the other hand, is normal. I mean, how can you translate that much hair from CGI to 2D? They needed it to be less complicated and what we got was surprising, in a good way. And I also like how they give little curly strands all around her head.

And BTW, people complaining about Merida's waist, go look at Ariel. That girl is practically anorexic thin!

Over in the DVDizy forum, member enigmawing altered her design.
[Show spoiler]

It looks different and it looks better but my remarks on improving it are:
-Eyes
-Skin tone
-waist/hip?

Glitter is alright with me because Elinor would just do it! Thought I would have preferred a patter. It would have fit with that time setting.
Disney should just use the design they had for the limited edition doll. It's perfect. The sword, the bow and arrow, the fur cloak. All that.

Now, I don't know if anyone has brought this up.. But what are the chances that disney just converts all of them to CGI?
I remember walking into a disneystore (UK i think) a few years ago and seeing merchandise of Ariel that had her in CGI form. It wasn't that bad.

And why is it so hard to translate a face from CGI to animated? Rapunzel just looks bad! I mean, she practically has Ariel's face but bigger eyes yet she looks different from Ariel. Why? Get The Keane family to draw out a 2D version of those characters!

There! My rambling and opinion on this whole matter! Now back to studying for my Stats final...
"In every age,
Family is king
and the bravest journeys,
are never taken alone."
-Brave.

Last edited by taei; 05-15-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #763
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

The way I see it? She's a little bit older and more mature now. She'd be into those sort of things at this age and changing her look as all teenagers tend to do through their formidable years. I don't see any harm whatsoever.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #764
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
The way I see it? She's a little bit older and more mature now. She'd be into those sort of things at this age and changing her look as all teenagers tend to do through their formidable years. I don't see any harm whatsoever.
Oh boy, there goes fuel dumped directly on the fire!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #765
Special Member

May 2010
Colorado, USA

Disney Won't Alter Princess Redesign of Brave's Merida
"In every age,
Family is king
and the bravest journeys,
are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #766
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Oh boy, there goes fuel dumped directly on the fire!
Yup... I agree... hot stuff!

[Show spoiler]I bet that you didn't think that I could make this situation any worse.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #767
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Yup... I agree... hot stuff!

[Show spoiler]I bet that you didn't think that I could make this situation any worse.
LOL! I've already headed for the hills, as I saw a 2for1 sale on pitchforks in the village.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #768
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
LOL! I've already headed for the hills, as I saw a 2for1 sale on pitchforks in the village.

I needed that laugh!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #769
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:

I needed that laugh!
Now if the Disney purists ever unite with the Lucas bashers....have you seen the trailer for World War Z? Okay I'll stop now.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #770
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

When I put this disc in my BD player last night at around the 0:01:15 mark it skipped and I have no idea why as I just received this from the DMC, took out the disc, look brand spankin new, no marks of any kind, wiped it with a microfiber cloth and it worked fine after that but I just thought that was weird.
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
"If thatís true, if you donít know who I am, then maybe your best courseÖ would be to tread lightly."
Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #771
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
When I put this disc in my BD player last night at around the 0:01:15 mark it skipped and I have no idea why as I just received this from the DMC, took out the disc, look brand spankin new, no marks of any kind, wiped it with a microfiber cloth and it worked fine after that but I just thought that was weird.
This is one of the Pixar titles with a lossless audio track/semless branching combination that interacts poorly with certain players.

As a workaround, disable bitstreaming on your player (choose PCM playback). Alternately, check for a firmware update for your player. Monsters U and finding Nemo reportedly are prone to the same problem.

Last edited by thebard; 11-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #772
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

I'm sure Merida would look like that when she's a bit older. I don't care (SINCE SHE'S ANIMATED). lol
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #773

Oct 2013

Does the Futureshop Exclusive Metalpak have DMR points? I ask since it's not listed on their site.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #774
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blu Ray Knight View Post
Does the Futureshop Exclusive Metalpak have DMR points? I ask since it's not listed on their site.
Mine did. Looking for a copy? I have one and am willing to go cost + shipping on it. 😉

Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #775

Oct 2013

Quote:
Mine did. Looking for a copy? I have one and am willing to go cost + shipping on it. 😉
No thank you. I prefer to buy new when I have the option to. Thanks for the information about the code.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #776
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blu Ray Knight View Post
No thank you. I prefer to buy new when I have the option to. Thanks for the information about the code.
It is new and still sealed.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America