Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #221
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Vocally she'll never be as terrible as Taylor Swift or Katy Perry
I think they're all "on par" with one another. The thing is that Madonna CAN sing, like they all can. However, performers are usually too concerned with dancing to sing properly. There's no way to dance THAT much and sing properly.
An OT release of the Star Wars Trilogy is the "gay marriage" of home video: the dark side keeps fighting against it, saying that only a small amount of people really want it. However, in no way will it affect their love and enjoyment of their current "situation."
And the good side realizes that it will make millions of people happy and society will only benefit from it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #222
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Vocally she'll never be as terrible as Taylor Swift or Katy Perry

Oh gawd.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #223

Aug 2012

So... what is next to Madge on Blu since its pretty established Girlie isn't coming anytime soon? MDNA Tour? Desperately Seeking Susan for her movies?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
You can't process live vocals that much beyond reverb etc unless you are putting an actual effect on the whole vocal.
Which is exactly what I am saying.

It's just that they change, frequently, since as I think everyone knows, Madonna's shows (even more so than other artists) are planned down to the second. Everything is kept in a computerized sync. The musical versions of the same song are the exact same length performance to performance. Variations can occur in pauses, such as waits for applause (which is why such a system needs manual intervention), but the actual music and vocals are of identical length (any variation is in silent pauses).

Doing this, it's rather simple to not use auto-tune per se, but apply predetermined effects in rapid succession. For a completely made up example:

I made it through the wilderness/Somehow I made it through/Didn't know...
(Effect 1------------------------->Effect 2------------>Effect 3->Effect 1....)

A crude mock up, but that's what I am talking about. Although, yes, you can auto-tune to a certain extent "live" at this point with an almost imperceptible delay, it's not about that - it's about replicating the audio experience of the studio track. Madonna doesn't have a problem singing off-key that needs correction, it's more of producing the same sound quality as one gets on an album in an arena show.

This processing would happen before the vocal hits the sound board for the final outgoing mix, which is why dedicated machines are required and operated/overseen by someone other than the person at the board who is responsible for balancing the overall sound.

It's all actually rather genius - it's not a knock on Madonna at all. She herself has argued she is a performance artist and not simply a "singer" - and I don't think that's a pejorative in the least.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #225
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Trust me. As someone who has heard the live soundboard tracks from her recent tours, there is absolutely NO auto-tuning going on.

To try and get this thread back on (some semblance of) track, look for the MDNA tour in 3rd/4th quarter this year.
An OT release of the Star Wars Trilogy is the "gay marriage" of home video: the dark side keeps fighting against it, saying that only a small amount of people really want it. However, in no way will it affect their love and enjoyment of their current "situation."
And the good side realizes that it will make millions of people happy and society will only benefit from it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #226
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Trust me. As someone who has heard the live soundboard tracks from her recent tours, there is absolutely NO auto-tuning going on.
I'd agree. I don't think anyone is auto-tuning anything. Auto tune is not the only available effect.

Unless she has a vocal modulator implant in her throat which produces filters and effects on command, it's being done before the sound is even hitting the soundboard. ;-)
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #227
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
I'd agree. I don't think anyone is auto-tuning anything. Auto tune is not the only available effect.

Unless she has a vocal modulator implant in her throat which produces filters and effects on command, it's being done before the sound is even hitting the soundboard. ;-)
Right but, again, she doesn't use effects for only certain parts of songs. They're either there for the whole song (Die Another Day) or they're not.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #228

Nov 2012

sometimes i come back to this forum, to see if there is something new about GS, and i allways leave this forum sad

i hope it happens in this lifetime
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #229

Aug 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipie View Post
sometimes i come back to this forum, to see if there is something new about GS, and i allways leave this forum sad

i hope it happens in this lifetime
"I hope it's in this life, I hope it's in this lifetime." - Madonna
My Criterion Collection: http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Complete Movies/TV Collection: http://oc.mymovies.dk/facebook-500576541

My Movie/Music/TV Reviews Blog: http://sjreviewseverything.tumblr.com/
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #230
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorail91 View Post
"I hope it's in this life, I hope it's in this lifetime." - Madonna
Yes...because let's compare a cure for AIDS with a Blu-ray of this concert.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America