Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.44
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #501

Mar 2014

The Warner Archive releases seem to be on a different track from the seemingly bigger sellers. I've got to imagine that at some point the main Warner company will release Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Band Wagon, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at least, since those got 2-disc special editions previously.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #502
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Id love the Philadelphia Story, the FBI Story, The Mortal Storm. Village of the Damned , Them, The Thing from Another World and Time After Time as well...
Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #503
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

I would really love a KLUTE release that is a well done transfer such as the one Performance has rec'd. It even has a higher than usual bit rate than most standard WB Blu releases. (not that it means anything)
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #504

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubunkey View Post
I always thought that the "Archive Collection" was meant to encompass any and all movies/shows that someone would want to Archive not a collection of only classic films? If WAC released only "classic movies" they would never make money. They have to release what the market dictates. I myself would love a Blu of The Learning Tree but I don't see it happening
Warner BD Archive is not releasing enough movies in order to justify so broad a scope. Only one movie per month?! That's a joke. Even lowly Twilight Time is doing 5 per month now, and they're not worried about including TV shows from 2008 in order to fill their quota. They can press 3000 (which is about 3x more than the minimum feasible) copies and sell them for twice as much and (eventually) sell them all. There's no reason Warner can't do the same. A limited edition a la TT would sell copies by making people by sooner rather than later.

Warner is literally thousands of viable classics in their vaults and they should be focusing more on those, just as they have with their highly successful DVD Archive program. But until they break the shackles of having to press discs (and all the constraints that go along with it, such as minimum pressing requirements) and start releasing burned discs (and/or offer limited editions of x copies like TT does) then this program is not going to go very far.

Last edited by bruceames.; 04-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #505

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
Warner BD Archive is not releasing enough movies in order to justify so broad a scope. Only one movie per month?! That's a joke. Even lowly Twilight Time is doing 5 per month now, and they're not worried about including TV shows from 2008 in order to fill their quota. They can press 3000 (which is about 3x more than the minimum feasible) copies and sell them for twice as much and (eventually) sell them all. There's no reason Warner can't do the same. A limited edition a la TT would sell copies by making people by sooner rather than later.

Warner is literally thousands of viable classics in their vaults and they should be focusing more on those, just as they have with their highly successful DVD Archive program. But until they break the shackles of having to press discs (and all the constraints that go along with it, such as minimum pressing requirements) and start releasing burned discs (and/or offer limited editions of x copies like TT does) then this program is not going to go very far.
One disc a month would be most welcome! (but we haven't got that) though the last two months are looking better (Especially if WBA is going to do more blu-rays at a steady rate).

Pressed blu-rays are better - plus burning any title on blu is not going to be worth it - these films do take time and deserve the best mastering/print restoration possible. Most of the titles in the Archive can not be burned to blu without extensive restoration work and blu would just reveal how bad they really look.

But Warner has dozen of more popular film on their HD site which would most likely be available for blu-ray production. (Though the Archive probably won't be allowed to released them as they belong to Warner Home Video - which has been very slow in releasing older titles.)

Last edited by Musicguy; 04-04-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #506
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
Which would most likely be available for blu-ray production. (Though the Archive probably won't be allowed to released them as they belong to Warner Home Video - which has been very slow in releasing older titles.)
I think of Warner as being one of the better major studios in terms of releasing catalog product on Blu-ray. Is it as much as I'd like? Of course not. But I wouldn't blame them for dealing with the dire situation of physical media today in the way they best see fit. My two favorite catalog Blu-rays last year were Flashdance and Cabaret, both from WHV.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #507

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I think of Warner as being one of the better major studios in terms of releasing catalog product on Blu-ray. Is it as much as I'd like? Of course not. But I wouldn't blame them for dealing with the dire situation of physical media today in the way they best see fit. My two favorite catalog Blu-rays last year were Flashdance and Cabaret, both from WHV.
Well both "Flashdance" and "Cabaret" are post 1970 titles, I was thinking more along the lines of "classic films" from the 30's and 40's which Warner was famous for.

Plus "Flashdance" is a Paramount release - Warner is just distributing the discs
Old 04-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #508
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Well both "Flashdance" and "Cabaret" are post 1970 titles, I was thinking more along the lines of "classic films" from the 30's and 40's which Warner was famous for
How many 30s titles has Sony released on Blu-ray? I'm waiting like crazy for the Berkeley set.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #509

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
You have to keep in mind that they hold perhaps three times as much viable catalog in their vaults than anybody else, so they have to be more prolific. Otherwise their movies would be underrepresented compared to other studios with fewer offerings. if you compare percentage-wise (how much they've released vs. how much they've got), they are actually in the bottom half of productivity overall, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were last.

Last edited by bruceames.; 04-04-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #510

Mar 2010

Quote:
How many 30s titles has Sony released on Blu-ray? I'm waiting like crazy for the Berkeley set.

Fox has released approx 18-20 films from the 30's and 40's (plus some others through Twilight which they licensed out)

Universal over a dozen - and Universal is considered the worst

WB has released about 20 - but they don't licensed out and they also bought up RKO, Goldwyn, MGM, Lormiar and New Line - the other studios only have their own product - Warner has much more - why buy it if you're not going to release it?

Fox get's my vote for best catalog. Sony is starting to release some 40's through Twilight - but Sony licenses most catalog out to Twilight, Image and Mill Creek

As for actual Warner Bros productions - there are "8" released from the 30's and 40's - the others are MGM and Goldwyn titles

Last edited by Musicguy; 04-04-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #511
Special Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Pressed blu-rays are better - plus burning any title on blu is not going to be worth it - these films do take time and deserve the best mastering/print restoration possible. Most of the titles in the Archive can not be burned to blu without extensive restoration work and blu would just reveal how bad they really look.
All Warner Archive Blu-rays are pressed. Always have been, always will be. BD-Rs cannot play on the PS3/PS4/XBox 1 with AACS and are otherwise far more unreliable than DVD-Rs, so BD-Rs will not happen.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #512
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Maryland

Just give me Before Sunrise and Before Sunset darn it!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #513
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States

Yea, Warner needs to pick up the pace for their Archive Blu-ray offerings. So many titles that need to be out there. I don't care if I need to pay ala Twilight Time, just make them available.......

Give me "THE GREAT RACE" to start!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #514
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
I don't care if I need to pay ala Twilight Time, just make them available.......
Everybody says that until a studio or distributor does charge a premium...then the rending of garments begins
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #515
Power Member

Jul 2010

The thing is, that Warner led the way in releasing a serious amount of catalog titles on DVD. But this begs the question: how well did a lot of those titles actually sell? And it begs the second question: Did they oversaturate the market? My guess is (1) not all that well, and (2) probably.

I've no doubt that one of the primary criteria they use in determining what catalog titles to release on Blu is "how well did this sell on DVD". And they have to be wary of putting out too many titles because if they do, they'll not only be in competition with the other studio labels, they'll be in competition with themselves.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #516
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Everybody says that until a studio or distributor does charge a premium...then the rending of garments begins
"... rending of garments ..."? +1!
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #517

Dec 2011

Just in:

https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive

Quote:
@WarnerArchive:
Hey @kateesackhoff - In honor of your frakkin' birthday, we're going to release Seasons 1&2 of Longmire on Blu-ray (more details soon)
Blu-Ray Studio Checklists:

Disney/Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....tone+hollywood

Universal: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=234445

The Weinstein Company: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....52#post8644152
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #518
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam4Rizzel View Post
Longmire! Yes!!!!!

(Doin' the Snoopy dance...)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors