Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.88
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
Scorpion: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 AM   #141

Sep 2014

I think 95% of the time, blind buys are very stupid and a waste of time. Buying movies just for the sake of buying them when you have no prior knowledge or recollection of the movie is incredibly foolish, especially when one is paying at a premium.
I have come here to chew ass and kick bubblegum...and I'm all out of ass.
Thanks given by:
atfree (08-05-2015), lilant2248 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #142
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Returning Some Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Yet how many times to do you see a movie at the theater? That's also a blind buy.
Heh.. you quoted a 2 year old post.

As for the topic, I'd wager a good 65% of my purchases these days are Blind Buys. It's rare for me to go to the theater, and I own a lot of the catalog titles I've already watched in the past so these days I buy based on this sites recommendations and anything that looks half way decent based on the trailer that in the horror genre from the 70's 80's and early 90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettxwt
I think 95% of the time, blind buys are very stupid and a waste of time. Buying movies just for the sake of buying them when you have no prior knowledge or recollection of the movie is incredibly foolish, especially when one is paying at a premium.
I honestly can't recall the last time I regretted a blind buy. My instincts are pretty solid and I typically know what I like well enough before making a purchase. I also shop around for a good price.
Wanted To Buy:
-Sword in the Stone Slip Cover ($7 Shipped)
-Robin Hood (Disney) (Slip Cover) ($7 Shipped)
(Will Pay $15 Shipped if One Person can send Both Slip Covers)

My 2015 Watched Movies Thread
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #143

Oct 2014
Maine

I've pretty much decided now that finding a movie on blu that I haven't seen before has to be 5 bucks or under. I'm on a limited budget and can't afford to hate a 15-30 dollar purchase. That said, If I see a trailer that intrigues me I'll try to download the full movie (I know....boo, hiss on me). If I like it, then it's worth a purchase. If I don't like it, then I've saved myself some money. Another trick I've heard of is getting the DVD at a used shop for a buck or two. If you like it, upgrade.
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUC*ING COUCH!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #144
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettxwt View Post
If you buy the movie cheap then you can sell it if you don't like it. Unless you have some way of seeing movies for free then you going to be doing something blind whether it's buying it, renting it, or going to the theater.

I rent movies from Redbox whenever they have coupons (making it 54 cents per Blu-ray), but a lot of movies aren't available at Redbox. Everything else in my collection from the last few years has been a blind buy.
Streaming and downloads are the death of the preservation of the arts.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 08-01-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #145

Jul 2015

Why would I want to buy what I can easily see on TV, streaming? Blind buying is about finding the stuff that isn't licensed to be shown on the typical avenues of consumption. I blind buy all the time, of course, my picks are genre specific.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #146
Special Member

Nov 2009
UK

The term should be retired.

Every movie you see for the first time is a "blind buy".

Only difference is that with a Blu-ray or any physical media, if you like it, you get to keep it and if you don't, you recoup some of the money you spend. I don't know why there's even a discussion.

Let's avoid the "I can download for free" argument because it is illegal just improperly enforced.
Wishlist Over the Hedge (Dreamworks), Lemony Snicket's (Paramount), Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition (Warner Brothers)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #147
Expert Member

Mar 2013
-

I use to "blind buy" back in the 90`s and early 2000`s. These days, not so much.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #148
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk_Tan View Post
The term should be retired.

Every movie you see for the first time is a "blind buy".

Only difference is that with a Blu-ray or any physical media, if you like it, you get to keep it and if you don't, you recoup some of the money you spend. I don't know why there's even a discussion.
Well, to be fair, going to the movies is not " blind buying". It's a night out. It's an event, whether you end up loving the movie or not. You can enjoy the experience without loving the movie.

Buying a blu-ray of a movie you never saw is a risk. Not because its expensive. Who cares, its only $20!
That's irrelevant. But because now you own something you don't love and don't want. That's just annoying. Now it's gotta sit on your shelf until you sell it. Which means you have to list it, take a picture of it, and ship it...etc. It's like taking three steps forward just to take three steps back.
Completely different than going to the movies.

Last edited by eiknarf; 08-05-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
lilant2248 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #149

Jan 2011
South Carolina

Pretty much never. I mostly buy catalog titles I've seen before, not a lot of interest in current releases outside of Bond and few others. Haven't been to the movies in over a year, probably won't be going to one until Spectre in November. If I catch a newer release on streaming or satellite that captures my interest for more than a second, I may buy it but very few of today's films stay in my memory for more than a second after I watch them.
I hate political correctness and the culture of victimization. Your situation is NOT my fault or the fault of anyone other than you. Take responsibility for YOUR life and stop blaming everyone and everything but yourself.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America