Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.97

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.43

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.92

Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.78

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.40

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #101

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
My copy arrived today. it has a very nice lenticular slip in the UK. Will get round to watching this later in the week.
Yep, the lenticular cover is pretty good...the movie Whoa! I watched one of the featurettes before watching and the directors etc were pitching it as a "zombie movie for kids" - I sat there thinkin what were they thinkin? - some of the imagery could be downright freaky for kids! (and maybe some adults - I might have nightmares tonight myself )

Very well made movie I must say - kinda plods along at the start though, a few of the characters seemed a bit hit and miss - but I really liked the overall stereo-typical homage to "classic" horror, real (slow moving) Zombies, blonde bimbo's high school football types! Later it kicks in and takes you on a kinda mind-warped "alternative world" ride....

The 3D I thought was conservative - the previous movie from this studio "Coraline" has better depth and usage of 3D overall. Some scenes are pretty good, but there's nothing that stands out or could be used as a 3D reference. You do have to admire the level of detail that these guys have put into the sets and characters models - and maybe this would have been lost (or overlooked) by the viewer if they had up'd the anti on the 3D. Personally I think they kinda missed the boat and maybe should have pushed the limits a little more to give us a bit of "scare factor" with Zombie hands flailing or ghostly figures hovering out of the screen etc etc...

It's certainly worth a watch if "horror" movies (if it really falls into that category) are your thing.....I suggest you take in the previously mentioned featurettes to really appreciate the full art of this movie...

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #102

Mar 2012
Default ParaNorman 3D

Just watched this one and here are my "in-depth" thoughts on the 3D.

ParaNorman 3D

Gae
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #103

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Have to say I agree with you....

I actually enjoyed ParaNorman and although the 3D was less than we were all expecting - something in the way it's presented dragged me right into the whole movie - which in some ways is the whole "point" of the 3D style.

Very crafty outfit that Laika Studios.....there's and abundance of talent that work there for sure...now we wait for the next release from them!

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Nice write up Gae. I agree with your input on the flick.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #105

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzScreamindemon View Post
Have to say I agree with you....

I actually enjoyed ParaNorman and although the 3D was less than we were all expecting - something in the way it's presented dragged me right into the whole movie - which in some ways is the whole "point" of the 3D style.

Very crafty outfit that Laika Studios.....there's and abundance of talent that work there for sure...now we wait for the next release from them!

Chris
Oh yes. I liked both Coraline and ParaNorman (there's definitely room for these ghoulish, quirky animations) I just hope that they crank up the 3D for their next production.

Gae
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #106

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
Nice write up Gae. I agree with your input on the flick.
Thanks Taygan315....and that's a nice mancave you have there.

Gae
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #107
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

this movie was pretty cool, i thought the 3D was generally very good too.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #108
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzScreamindemon View Post
The 3D I thought was conservative - the previous movie from this studio "Coraline" has better depth and usage of 3D overall. Some scenes are pretty good, but there's nothing that stands out or could be used as a 3D reference. You do have to admire the level of detail that these guys have put into the sets and characters models - and maybe this would have been lost (or overlooked) by the viewer if they had up'd the anti on the 3D. Personally I think they kinda missed the boat and maybe should have pushed the limits a little more to give us a bit of "scare factor" with Zombie hands flailing or ghostly figures hovering out of the screen etc etc...

Chris
Agreed. Push the 3D, don't play it safe like Paranorman did with the 3D. There were times where it was almost 2D and had me flipping up my glasses wondering what happened to the earlier depth during the day time scenes.

Even so, exceptional animation and I couldn't believe this was not mostly computer animation. Wow.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #109
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Hi Gae,

Nice review about the weaker 3D. I don't know why they bother attempting to make a movie 3D if they're going to barely make it 3D in the first place, but the animation was superb, along with the visual style and horror, Halloween references.

The 3D seemed medium strength in the first half most of the time, then seemed to actually fizzle out as the movie continued, ending up with weak 3D to the point it was nearly 2D (like that scene with the brick wall near the end). Favorite 3D was during the day light scenes with Norman walking down the suburb block, with the orange leaved trees and sidewalks. That looked great and I wish the rest of the 3D lived up to that.

Monster House's 3D is good but conservative, but a clear step above the 3D in Paranorman's weaker 3D. Frankenweenie also has better 3D. This team really needs to rethink the power of 3D.

That Cover looks cool for your Country. All the blue with the green lettering. Nice.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #110

Mar 2012

Hi Zivouhr,
Yes, there were a few stand out moments. One that stands out is the steeple climbing scenes.
The problem for me with many 3D movies is that they are so inconsistent. I think there should be a 3D quality controller on movies to make sure that all scenes maintain the same quality of depth. For me, when the 3D quality continually changes through a movie (from strong to weak, to almost 2D, then to actual 2D and back again to a deeper 3D) it just draws me out of the movie and makes me conscious of the 3D (or sometimes lack of it). The best 3D movies are probably the CGI animations where there seems to be more consistency. I guess live action films are more difficult to control with all the various different departments, 1st and 2nd units and different location shoots etc etc. I guess movies have got so "complex" that keeping some quality control
(re the 3D) is proving very difficult.

I think a movie where the 3D parallax remains mathematically accurate
throughout, from scene to scene, would result in a more successful and prolonged sense of immersion within the 3D environment.

Gae
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #111
Expert Member

Dec 2010

I wasn't too impressed with the 3D on this one either. Frankenweenie was better, and that was even a post-conversion.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #112

Mar 2012

Strange. Is the search engine buggy?

I did a search for ParaNorman before I created the other thread but nothing came up.

Gae
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #113
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Strange. Is the search engine buggy?

I did a search for ParaNorman before I created the other thread but nothing came up.

Gae
Found from trial and error that to get the names of threads I want that are already in the data-base I have to click on the "Advanced Search" link located at the bottom of the Search pop-up list. The standard search engine is buggy.
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #114
Banned

Mar 2010

Didn't like the movie or the 3D. SOme of the scenes at the end looked great, apart from that it was pretty flat.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #115

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Found from trial and error that to get the names of threads I want that are already in the data-base I have to click on the "Advanced Search" link located at the bottom of the Search pop-up list. The standard search engine is buggy.
Ah, that explains it...thanks!

Gae
Old 04-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #116
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Ah, that explains it...thanks!

Gae
You're correct about the search engine. I've done a lot of searches on topics I knew existed, and it brought up everything but what I typed in to find. Oh well. That actually happens a lot. So as suggested, I'll have to try the advanced search option more often, but also had similar results.

Just in case, here's a link to Gaetano's 3D Review of Paranorman 3D.
Thanks Gae.

http://3dperfection.blogspot.co.uk/2...aranorman.html
Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #117

Aug 2011
Texas City, TX
Default Two 3D versions at Best Buy?

One is $19.99 and one is $34.99. . .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Paranorm...203D&lp=1&cp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Paranorm...203D&lp=2&cp=1

I am assuming one is only the 3D disc, and one is Blu-Ray, 3D Blu-Ray, DVD, and digital copy.
Better Living Through Godzilla
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #118

Jun 2013

I'm glad I didn't blind buy Paranorman 3D but rented it first. The 3D was nearly non-existent. I also rented Frankenweenie at the same time and loved it!!! The 3D was so impressive in Frankenweenie that I bought the movie the following day.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #119

Aug 2011
Texas City, TX
Default Not happy

My copy showed up fron Amazon WITHOUT the 3D slipcover. I am ticked.
Better Living Through Godzilla
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #120
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSteveR View Post
My copy showed up fron Amazon WITHOUT the 3D slipcover. I am ticked.
Want mine ? It is in pretty good shape........
EPSON 5030UB PROJECTOR - 100" ELITE SCREEN
RECEIVER - DENON AVR-X4300H 7.2.4 ATMOS - SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD BLU-RAY PLAYER
FRONT SPEAKERS - BOWERS & WILKINS 684 - CENTER - BOWERS & WILKINS HTM62
REARS - BOWERS & WILKINS i DM600
SIDES - PREMIER ACOUSTIC - PA-8S
ATMOS SPEAKERS - ONKYO ATMOS ENABLED FRONT AND REAR
SUBWOOFERS - KLIPSCH SUB 12HG SYNERGY 650 WATT REAR - PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT
BASS SHAKERS - 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS + BASH AMP
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies