Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$98.54
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #241
Power Member

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

[Show spoiler]I do not have the necessary equipment to view the 3D version of Dial M for Murder and my lazy right eye prevents me from seeing in 3D in the first place, so I purchased the above Blu-ray simply to enjoy one of my favorite Hitchcock films in its included 2D version. As such, my review only discusses the 2D Blu-ray presentation.

If you watch Dial M for Murder on a setup that is not equipped for 3D viewing, then the first thing that you'll see upon inserting the Blu-ray into the player is a notification that the 3D version cannot be viewed on your system, and a prompt instructing you to push "OK" to continue to the 2D version. From there, the Blu-ray opens into the main menu.

The 2D Blu-ray presentation is the best such presentation that I have ever seen for Dial M for Murder. I used to own this movie in 4-pack DVD set that also included The Maltese Falcon, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and The Big Sleep. This Blu-ray picture far exceeds the look of that DVD, especially when it comes to colors, facial details, and such. Viewers who are expecting the stunning clarity of current-day Blu-ray releases may be dismayed by the rough-around-the-edges look of this particular film, but the limitations of Dial M for Murder on Blu-ray seem to be confined to the source material shortcomings of imperfect rear projection background images and such. On its own terms, though, Dial M for Murder is a cool-looking film that really captures the vibe of the era during which it was produced.

When it comes to the film itself, Dial M for Murder scores an A+ across the board as one of the most effective Alfred Hitchcock numbers, especially considering its limited setting and the fact that Hitchcock basically adapted the source play note for note. I have always loved how the most nail-bitingly tense moment of the film is a scene where an antagonist is dealing with a variety of setbacks while trying to make a phone call by a predetermined time. Hitchcock always excelled at pulling the rug out from under the viewer in offbeat ways, and this is one of his finest moments. Grace Kelly is stunningly beautiful, as always, and brings a dignified poise to the role that is crucial for certain moments. Robert Cummings, who was outstanding as the everyman lead in Hitchcock's Saboteur, does quite well in a more multi-layered role here. Ray Milland is brilliantly clever and manipulative with his character performance.

A short documentary supplement is a fun and informative way to cap off this outstanding film.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm posting in the wrong forum altogether, considering that my review does not discuss the 3D presentation. I double-posted the review elsewhere, so feel free to kick this one to the curb.
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering whether or not the disc is worth $25-$30 due to the mixed reviews and my lack of 3D. Looks like I'll probably pick up the Blu-Ray eventually.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #242

Dec 2006

Has anyone ever seen this in a brick and mortar store? Some people have mentioned Costco, but was curious if it has been seen anywhere else?
Sony XBR 65HX950 Full Array w/Local Dimming
Yamaha RX3800
Oppo 103 & 93
Original launch PS3 60g fat
Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #243
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Some Barnes & Noble stores stock it.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #244

Jun 2007
Crown Point, Indiana

Anyone know if Amazon is still shipping this with the 3D slipcover, hate to dish out thirty plus dollars without a slip.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #245

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwtom View Post
Anyone know if Amazon is still shipping this with the 3D slipcover, hate to dish out thirty plus dollars without a slip.
On a whim... Called MovieStop and they to their own surprise received a new copy this past Tuesday with the original slipcover. Only downside, had to pay 34.99. In the past few days, I've wound up buying House of Wax, Creature from the Black Lagoon and now Dial M for Murder. Super stoked for a classic 3D marathon this weekend!
Sony XBR 65HX950 Full Array w/Local Dimming
Yamaha RX3800
Oppo 103 & 93
Original launch PS3 60g fat
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #246
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

This is $20.49 on Amazon.ca right now.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver, NAD M25 amp, Oppo bdp-93, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm ADP-590 v5, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #247

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
This is $20.49 on Amazon.ca right now.
Just a warning that if it does come with a slipcover it will be bilingual, in case you are picky about that.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #248
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

I rewatched this on Sunday. What a great entertaining movie! It was even better second time around. My one wish is that Hitchcock had perhaps chosen a more cinematic story for his foray into 3D but the 3D here is really good all round. He does manage to get planety of foreground placement with a lot of shots and the sense of depth and space is always evident. It's so much fun watching how everything unravels for Tony in this, his plans all falling to pieces and he's having to try and adapt with it.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #249

Aug 2008

I picked this up from CH recentl;y using that 2014 code so I paid about $4 for it.
Didn't come with a slip and the only place I;ve seen the slip in store is at Moviestop.

Found one at a BN but it didn't have the slip.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #250

Jun 2012
Omaha

This is my next 3D purchase. While most reviews have been meh on the disc, 3DFilmArchive said it was stellar and most issues might be from the reviewers equipment. The sites says passive 3D is better, which I have.

Plus, I want to support classic films in 3D revival here.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #251

Feb 2008

Why is this title new or used still $30 on blu ray? Where is the 2D only blu ray release?
The Saint will return!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #252

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramunga View Post
Why is this title new or used still $30 on blu ray? Where is the 2D only blu ray release?
yeah seriously,, I hate the current release's stupid "3D" logo all over the front and the cover art is pitiful. How on earth could Warner mess this movie up so hard, the blu-ray is a mess. Hoping for a remastered 2D-only version in the future.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #253
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Watched this last night. WOW. It looks absolutely terrific in terms of picture quality, with crisp detail and lovely colour. It's clean and stable too, Warners have done a brilliant job remastering it. The opticals look like boiled ass, I mean they're really terrible, but I guess that's what happens when one optical becomes two (because of the dual-strip 3D), and it simply can't be helped.

The 3D itself is serviceable. It's nothing spectacular but there's always a sense of depth with the occasional reach into the screen too. RAH said in his HTF write-up that the 3D is too dark, and while I'll take his word for it (I wasn't around to see it back then; heck, even my Daddy was a mere 5 years old in 1954) it looks fine to me.

There's lots of gloom, yes, but a fair amount of the movie takes place in darkened rooms and the shadow detail is excellent, so I'm not sure what the problem is there. Brightly lit shots look perfectly fine, and you can see why Hitch was obsessed with Grace Kelly because she's so incredibly beautiful.

As for the film itself, it's a slow-burning classic.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #254

Jan 2014

This looks really excellent in 3D. I was doubtful because the 3D evaluation absorbs. WB did an outstanding job with this.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #255

Aug 2011
Rhode Island

Really wish this was a stand-alone Blu-ray release. Ugh! I have no desire to upgrade to 3D, but is this truly worth the purchase because it doesn't look like a standalone Blu-ray release is ever coming out. This movie was one of the first Hitchcock films I was introduced to (along with North by Northwest) and so I would really love to add this to my collection.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #256

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blury17 View Post
Really wish this was a stand-alone Blu-ray release. Ugh! I have no desire to upgrade to 3D, but is this truly worth the purchase because it doesn't look like a standalone Blu-ray release is ever coming out. This movie was one of the first Hitchcock films I was introduced to (along with North by Northwest) and so I would really love to add this to my collection.
+1. I have no interest in paying $30 for the set, when I only need the 2D version.
The Saint will return!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #257

Nov 2011

So...weird issue. I have a Onkyo 7.2 audio surround system...the English 1.0 audio track on the Dial M For Murder 3D Blu doesn't play. No sound at all. All other language tracks work...just not the English. The weird part is, when I play the English track on a normal TV sound set up it works. Any ideas?
WWE fan since 1990.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #258
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosabres1984 View Post
So...weird issue. I have a Onkyo 7.2 audio surround system...the English 1.0 audio track on the Dial M For Murder 3D Blu doesn't play. No sound at all. All other language tracks work...just not the English. The weird part is, when I play the English track on a normal TV sound set up it works. Any ideas?
Have you paid your tab at Sal's?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #259

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Have you paid your tab at Sal's?
Yeah, I don't get your attempt at humor.
WWE fan since 1990.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #260

Mar 2014

you do get vapour trails on screen when the cast walk about
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies