Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The X-Files: Event Series (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Huntsman: Winter's War (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Deadpool (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$86.94
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #1561

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E. Neumann View Post
Why do you want to see it in mono? The 5.1 is from the exact same sound elements, but much better quality.
Has this been confirmed? I thought I read somewhere that some of the gun shot effects had been changed
Old 11-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #1562
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E. Neumann View Post
Why do you want to see it in mono? The 5.1 is from the exact same sound elements, but much better quality.
The Godfather has a very good 5.1 mix. It's seems faithful to the original mix while expanding it into multiple speakers.

That said, the original mono should always be included. It's an integral part of the film's history, it's the only sound mix created by the film-makers at the time of making it, and many do prefer to watch films exactly how they were exhibited.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #1563

Feb 2008
Queens, NY

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/...now/375367.htm
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #1564
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHERRYGARCIA View Post
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=272030
Old 01-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #1565
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
tennessee

i'm still trying to figure out if i should try to sell dvd version and get bluray boxset or just get 1st 2 godfather movies since wasn't fan of part 3 btw
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #1566

Jan 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jman View Post
i'm still trying to figure out if i should try to sell dvd version and get bluray boxset or just get 1st 2 godfather movies since wasn't fan of part 3 btw
I recommend getting the box set - the bonus features disc is full of some great stuff (including a short documentary on the restoration of the first 2 Godfather movies), and even Godfather III is worth having if only for Coppola's commentary, which is pretty fascinating. Plus, the box set is pretty reasonably priced. I was no fan of Godfather III and I'm very glad I bought the box set, no regrets at all.
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (01-18-2016), the sordid sentinel (01-23-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #1567
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2015
MN

Also, I always encourage people to give Part III another chance if they only saw it once. My opinion of it has gotten much better after several viewings.
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (01-19-2016), JimDiGriz (01-19-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #1568
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

I'm not a fan of Part III by any stretch but I give it a watch every few years all the same. It definitely has its moments and who knows, maybe one of these days something will click.

I mean, I have been saying that for like twenty years so I'm not totally loving those odds but who knows.

But yeah, another vote for the set instead of I & II individuals.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #1569
Power Member

Nov 2008
Detroit, MI

Highly doubt anything new here.

The chronological version has been out for a few years...I suspect they took this one and spliced in the deleted scenes.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Sony PS3 & Roku3 | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #1570
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc480 View Post
Highly doubt anything new here.

The chronological version has been out for a few years...I suspect they took this one and spliced in the deleted scenes.
Incorrect.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #1571
Expert Member

Nov 2010
N. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
The first time I ever saw the first two films, someone at the cinema had had the bright idea of putting them on as a double feature. We, all unsuspecting, didn't know the running times when we rocked up for a session starting at 9:00 p.m. or thereabouts (necessary because of the ratings, I suspect). And when the lights came up for a second time, and we realised that a) it was only the Intermission of the second film, and that there was an unknown length of time still to go, and that b) it was already well after 1 in the morning ... almost everyone groaned and most of the audience gave up and went home.

I stuck it out, but it wasn't fair to either film. It took me another couple of times seeing them both before I could shake that feeling that they went on forever.
My girlfriend had taped the TV showing of the Saga. We started watching it one night about 10pm to have something to view. I was so into the film, that I stayed up all night watching it. She, otoh, bailed after 2 hours... That will always be my preferred way of watching the Godfather, in chronological order.

http://www.avclub.com/article/specia...now-hbo-231136
The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear with hearing.

http://live.slooh.com/ http://thirdrockradio.rfcmedia.com/
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #1572

Mar 2014
Glasgow

I picked up this set for £10 in a charity shop after quickly checking the Blu-ray.com rating.

Got it home and loved what I saw of the first ten minutes of the first picture. Popped in the supplementals disc to check out the new featurettes, particularly the resotration of the film for this release.

It was a very interesting documentary which clearly described how

* The negatives for part I and II were virtually destroyed due to the popularity of the film and the demand for prints to be struck.

* That it was decided that the negative itself could not be restored and that an IP could not be made and photochemically corrected from it.

* That they located a vintage print that was establised as being as good a reference for colour timing as they were going to get.

*That parts of that print actually came from dupes which did not really represent what was on the negative, which is why the print was not restored.

* That the negative was very carefully scanned and that major damage was digitially fixed before the whole filme was colour corrected digitally

* That brightening the film, as previous home video and TV versions did, was pointless since the film was designed and shot so that the darkness on the negative is just that. There is nothing to brighten or be revealed, which ensured that theatre prints looked just the way Willis and Copolla intended them to look.

* That Coppola himself forgot how good it looked until going through this process

-------

The first couple of dozen of posts on this board, post-release, seemed to be saying things like

* They just scanned a restored print
* Copolla didn't remember what the film was supposed to look like
* That they didn't do any restoration

And then dozens of bandwagon jumpers keen to say they wont be buying this "botched" job.

So afterward I decided read other reviews to get their impression of the work done. Blu-ray high-fi digest just casually say that it's been brightened too much and that the black levels are poor but it's the best it as looked. At least they didn't do what they did with the Halloween 35th Anniversary BD and state that they suspect it was an old master which somehow magically gave up about 100% more grain and almost none of the dirt and scratches seen on any of the previous home video versions of the film.

What gives? Are they all trolls or is there some sort of disease that prompts people on blu-ray.com to take any excuse to imply that people like Robert Harris are inompetent or that Copolla is ignorant (compared to them) and run a mile with it?

I suspect that in the case of some sites reviewers, unless they personally know someone who was involved with a transfer, they are inclined to insinuate that a master has been recycled and that the grass would be greener if....
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (03-23-2016), Jhouston (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #1573
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Aye, Gordon Willis shot his stuff so it could only be printed within a very specific range, and like a lot of cinematographers from the era they were under no illusions that the answer print was probably the last time that the film would actually look like they intended.

That both the 'Prince of Darkness' AND Coppola signed off on this superb restoration should be enough for most people, it's not a case of one getting the jump on the other to push their own bizarre view of what the movie should like, e.g. Storaro's infuriating insistence on 2.00:1 cropping for Apocalypse Now, or Friedkin riding roughshod over Owen Roizman's photography on the first French Connection BD.

As for the new HDR grade of Godfather...that's another matter entirely.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #1574
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoto View Post
What gives? Are they all trolls or is there some sort of disease that prompts people on blu-ray.com to take any excuse to imply that people like Robert Harris are inompetent or that Copolla is ignorant (compared to them) and run a mile with it?
Forget about it, Jake. It's the Internet.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #1575
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martoto View Post

It's the same psychology behind conspiracy theorists. It's all about little people feeling empowered by the belief that they know better than the powers-that-be. You see it every day on this forum.

The other big one you constantly see here is the criticism of an improved product to validate the inferior one. There are obviously cases where the "upgrade" is inferior to the earlier release but that's rare and you see the same people playing logical gymnastics to defend the disc they already own as the superior version.

This stuff certainly not exclusive to this forum but there's something about this forum that draws out more nuts than I've ever seen anywhere else. It's not uncommon to see the Blu-ray.com forums used as a punchline on other home video forums and Facebook pages.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Thanks given by:
Jhouston (03-24-2016), JimDiGriz (04-20-2016), Martoto (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #1576
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

It's about time for me to watch these movies again. I have not watched them since getting my front projector a couple of years ago.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #1577
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
It's the same psychology behind conspiracy theorists. It's all about little people feeling empowered by the belief that they know better than the powers-that-be. You see it every day on this forum.
Yes, there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts on this site that spend way too much time here rather than enjoying the movies.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Oppo bdp-93, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #1578
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ampaign=buffer

Really awesome....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America