Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Logan (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
$13.75
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Mountain Between Us (Blu-ray)
$13.75
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$12.99
American Assassin (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Emoji Movie (Blu-ray)
$9.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Virgin Suicides (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Arizona
Default Clash of the Gods: Season One Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.com/Clash-Gods-Com.../dp/B002Y4Z52S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_the_Gods

I stumbled upon this when researching, on videoeta.com, if Pulp Fiction is truly being released on 3/16/2010. Having never heard of this series before, I was intrigued and did some quick Googling and it sounds pretty good.

I used to love Clash of the Titans and the old Mythology documentaries.....even watching the Jim Henson one that came out a few years ago.

Priced under $30 for 10 episodes with all the big names, it doesn't seem that bad a price point. Has anyone watched it and, if so, reviews? Quality of fX and CGI?
My signature has mysteriously disappeared.
I blame the Clockwork Elves.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2008
USA

I recently discovered this as well, unfortunately I don't have the History channel. I have it in my Netflix queue, if the 1st episode is good I'll definitely be buying, always been a fan of Greek mythology. Looking at the price tracker this was $23 at one point, I'll have to wait for that price again.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Seen it announce but I have no idea what's it about. Kind of curious to know more about it
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Jan 2008

I watched this series on the History Channel and it was pretty good. Each episode they examine a different Greek or Roman myth (some go over multiple episodes) and talk about real life counter-parts, historical significance, actual locations, and true events that were inspirations for the myths. Lots of cheesy CGI too.

Greg
Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpn View Post
I watched this series on the History Channel and it was pretty good. Each episode they examine a different Greek or Roman myth (some go over multiple episodes) and talk about real life counter-parts, historical significance, actual locations, and true events that were inspirations for the myths. Lots of cheesy CGI too.
I also saw it when first broadcast. The bad CGI got old really fast. It looks a lot like a low-budget "300"-style documentary for historical characters. Probably worth a rental, but a blind-buy would be dangerous.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

As someone who is very agnostic, about all religions even the ones it is still not ok to talk about as myths, i found this series very intriguing. It was very cool to see how some of these strange stories and idea's came to be and the reasons why. It was also cool to see which parts of these mytho's were actually kept alive and used in the formation of christianity among many other "newer" religions.

The stylistic acting and scenes used are great as well, just like the new show spartacus they obviously got some influence from 300 but they spun it into their own flavor. From what i watched of the series it is very well done and would look great on BLU.

I will say i lost interest after the first few episodes, as they began to explore other characters in greek mythology and strayed from what i consider to be "gods". The greek gods are so interesting to me i found it hard to keep an interest when they strayed a bit, but when i caught back up it did seem to be a very good sampling of mythological beings, and some very interesting thoughts on why man especially at that time, really had a need to seek explanation for events they could not rationally explain.

Highly recommend.

EDIT: i could see how you would think the cgi was cheesy but for a new documentary series i thought it was top notch, maybe not the budget of say Avatar but i am also a sucker for hot models in crazy eye contacts so i am also biased on this series presentation
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez

Last edited by krazeyeyez; 03-02-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Bartow, FL

I saw this last night while searching for clash of the Titans! I've always been fascinating about mythology so I'll most likely check it out! 10 episodes = $30 = $3 an episodes!
TV: Sony XBR-65A1E (HDR & SDR Calibrated by Barry @ Orlando Digital)
Audio: Sony HT-ST5000
UHD Player: Sony UBP-X800
Gaming: Sony PlayStation 4 Pro 2TB / Sony PlayStation VR
Instagram / PSN: Toyamaha

Last edited by SteelPen; 03-02-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Arizona

Thanks to all for the reviews!
My signature has mysteriously disappeared.
I blame the Clockwork Elves.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America