COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.09
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Help (Blu-ray)
$11.19

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #1261
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
Well, I'm a diehard fan of the original. I simply consider this prequel more in the reboot category, in order to not dislike it.
I'm a diehard fan of Carpenter's, and I welcome anything that reminds me of, or makes me think of it. And although I own this new 2011 prequel, I'm well aware that its a run of the mill, slasher flick disguised in a "The Thing" package. Aka, the creature, the title and the location made to tie into Carpenter's version...etc are just a "mask" -

Carpenters The Thing is not just a horror or slasher film. It's got layers. That's called "good writing"; it has a well written script that uses
complex and advanced psychology to communicate hidden narratives. The prequel has none of that.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #1262

Aug 2014
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
A practical effects version is coming out? First I've heard of this, it would be good to see. I know that practical effects were worked on and not used but I'd be surprised if they had been created for the entirety of the film.
There is no all practical effects/non CGI enhanced version of THE THING (2011) coming out. OP was talking about HARBINGER DOWN, a practical creature F/X film currently in production at Amalgamated Dynamics, Inc.

Lance Henricsen stars and so far it definitely looks like something that might be a lot of fun. The trailer is on youtube.
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #1263
Power Member

Oct 2009
UK

Quote:
I like the prequel, but find it wholly unimaginative - it's a scene for scene remake which I found quite disappointing.
The film has a lot of homages to the original but I think describing it as a scene for scene remake is a bit of a stretch. It's not Gus Van Sant's Psycho.
"At a certain point in life, you realize you know more dead people than living."
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #1264
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Well, the 2011 Thing is unquestionably not a re-make of the '82 flick, and IMHO it's not meant even be compared to the original film - it's a prequel. And, sure, the storylines are somewhat similar because both tell the story of an extraterrestrial creature going into an isolated arctic camp & slowly taking everyone over.

IMHO, the 2011 film did a great job of setting up the story & explaining the events that were referenced in the '82 film. I don't think the producer/writer of the 2011 film meant to out-stage the '82 film, or to have the films be compared to each other.

Which film do I prefer? Well, definitely the '82 film - but, I still like the 2011 film; however, I do admit the 2011 film's CGI isn't nearly as effective as the grotesque prosthetics in the '82 film....

Saying one film is better than another is like comparing the original Halloween I & II (1978 & 1981). II takes place immediately after I, and IMHO they should both be viewed as one long film....
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #1265

Aug 2013

All of this recent action has kept this thread near the top for several days now, and I finally broke down and rented the prequel to see it for myself. The reviews I heard when it was released kept me away, although I have to say that in the beginning of my viewing, I found myself enjoying it.

Until the CGI. I can't apologize. It entirely ruined the movie for me. Roger Corman would've done better. It was just embarrassingly bad. I almost couldn't believe I was watching the finished film and not a storyboarded concept pitch.

Oh Universal, you should've just let KNB run with it. Taken the 'risk' as it were.
Thanks given by:
theprestige85 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #1266
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
The film has a lot of homages to the original but I think describing it as a scene for scene remake is a bit of a stretch. It's not Gus Van Sant's Psycho.
I'm not describing it as a psycho like remake, that's you. Van Sant did a shot for shot remake. A totally different animal.

But you've got quite a few scenes that are straight up lifted from the 82 film, there's no denying that. And yeah I get it the 82 film didn't end in the alien spaceship but so much from the first film is reused whole cloth.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #1267

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Well, the 2011 Thing is unquestionably not a re-make of the '82 flick, and IMHO it's not meant even be compared to the original film - it's a prequel. And, sure, the storylines are somewhat similar because both tell the story of an extraterrestrial creature going into an isolated arctic camp & slowly taking everyone over.

IMHO, the 2011 film did a great job of setting up the story & explaining the events that were referenced in the '82 film. I don't think the producer/writer of the 2011 film meant to out-stage the '82 film, or to have the films be compared to each other.

Which film do I prefer? Well, definitely the '82 film - but, I still like the 2011 film; however, I do admit the 2011 film's CGI isn't nearly as effective as the grotesque prosthetics in the '82 film....

Saying one film is better than another is like comparing the original Halloween I & II (1978 & 1981). II takes place immediately after I, and IMHO they should both be viewed as one long film....
I agree with all of this except the last bit. When viewing for the first time, it is imperative that you watch the '82 version first. Now, if you want to watch the The Thing From Another World first, cool. But the 2011 prequel works, if it works at all, because you already know how things are going to turn out and that creates a certain sense of dread. However, I find it nearly sacrilegious to suggest that the 2011 version should be the version that first introduces an audience to the creature and concepts from the 1982 masterpiece.

That said, if you've already seen them both, then watch them however you want. That's cool.
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (Yesterday), Outlander (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #1268

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post
I agree with all of this except the last bit. When viewing for the first time, it is imperative that you watch the '82 version first. Now, if you want to watch the The Thing From Another World first, cool. But the 2011 prequel works, if it works at all, because you already know how things are going to turn out and that creates a certain sense of dread. However, I find it nearly sacrilegious to suggest that the 2011 version should be the version that first introduces an audience to the creature and concepts from the 1982 masterpiece.

That said, if you've already seen them both, then watch them however you want. That's cool.
That shouldn't necessarily be the case. I showed my dad the prequel first before the original movie and his reactions were pretty interesting. Because he saw the prequel, he went into the 1982 movie with a big sense of dread because he had already witnessed what this creature could potentially do. But the suspense came from how these "new" characters would react against The Thing after it had already wrecked havoc from the previous movie, as well as how the behavior of the creature has "changed" now that it is moving to another environment and had its ship disabled. As a result, he found the movie very exhilarating despite its age and I think he enjoyed it more as a result of having watched the prequel first.
Thanks given by:
theprestige85 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #1269

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post
That shouldn't necessarily be the case. I showed my dad the prequel first before the original movie and his reactions were pretty interesting. Because he saw the prequel, he went into the 1982 movie with a big sense of dread because he had already witnessed what this creature could potentially do. But the suspense came from how these "new" characters would react against The Thing after it had already wrecked havoc from the previous movie, as well as how the behavior of the creature has "changed" now that it is moving to another environment and had its ship disabled. As a result, he found the movie very exhilarating despite its age and I think he enjoyed it more as a result of having watched the prequel first.
Well, there are no rules of course, and I was only stating an opinion, but the idea of someone new being robbed of the outright shocks of The Thing 1982 by having the prequel set it all up for them still makes me feel sad inside. And I quite enjoy the prequel.

Of course, I'm sure it's all still pretty shocking either way!

I'm a release order purist when it comes to just about everything, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #1270
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that's a result of 82s fantastic cast, as opposed to the "meh" 2011s.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #1271
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Agree 100%. If I were showing these films to someone who hadn't seen either before, I would definitely recommend they watch the 2011 film first, then the '82 film. After that, they could judge which film they preferred more.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #1272

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that's a result of 82s fantastic cast, as opposed to the "meh" 2011s.
I'm sure that definitely helped.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #1273
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
The irony is your dad probably would have thought that the 1982 version was more recent than the prequel

I'd go with watching the original first and then prequel 2nd, too. Reason being is that the original will do a better job of establishing the rules of the film as opposed to the remake which basically tries to recreate the original's rule set. I just thing it's more interesting not knowing anything about The Thing world before you see it.

Btw, which do you guys take to a remote island with you, Alien or The Thing?
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #1274
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
The irony is your dad probably would have thought that the 1982 version was more recent than the prequel

I'd go with watching the original first and then prequel 2nd, too. Reason being is that the original will do a better job of establishing the rules of the film as opposed to the remake which basically tries to recreate the original's rule set. I just thing it's more interesting not knowing anything about The Thing world before you see it.

Btw, which do you guys take to a remote island with you, Alien or The Thing?
The Thing
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #1275
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
The Thing
Yeah, at this point, i'm thinking The Thing too, but only slighty. The production design of Alien is still unlike anything I have ever seen in a science fiction horror. I do think The Thing has the edge in sheer tension though.
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #1276
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
I'm not describing it as a psycho like remake, that's you. Van Sant did a shot for shot remake. A totally different animal.

But you've got quite a few scenes that are straight up lifted from the 82 film, there's no denying that. And yeah I get it the 82 film didn't end in the alien spaceship but so much from the first film is reused whole cloth.
I agree, something doesn't have to be shot for shot to count as a remake (T2 springs to mind). The Thing '11 is part remake, part prequel and part reboot (a prebootmake?), and it's probably because it's standing on the shoulders of giants that I like it as I do. If it was any other horror franchise I wouldn't give it the time of day, but it retains just enough of that scary-ass CarpenterThing atmosphere and I love the way that it joins certain dots up to the original.
Old Today, 01:51 PM   #1277

Jul 2014

Quote:
But that is the main problem with the 2011 movie, there is no suspense, no build up, or anything. It is just trying to show you as much of the creature as possible. Oh, and figuring out if someone is the creature through fillings in teeth is the dumbest plan ever.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America