COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Bones: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #101

Mar 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
This is silly.

If your a member of this site your :

A) Able to read
B) Know when said steelbook is being released
C) Able to afford a computer, so likely be able to afford a steelbook
D) Be able to make a decision... to buy or not to buy?

If you don't use your loaf and order the steelbook then THATS YOUR FAULT!

The information is here. Knowledge is power. If you can't beat them join them! I want everything in my possession to be worth crap loads of money. I wish it rained money in my house.

I've been on both sides of the fence. The best you can do is say "Ok I lost out this time, but I won't do that again". And from that day forth, you multiplied your collection and read forum banter without pannick, because your now a steelbook collector.

To many, to few.. No pleasing people on this form
You're
LG 47LV4400 Edge-lit LED
Sony STR-KS470 5.1 HT
Sony BDPS590
XBOX 360 Slim
DirecTV HR21-700 HD-DVR
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #102
Power Member

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducard View Post
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I think steelbooks should be bought with the main reason of purchasing it to be watching the movie. I don't think we should just see a steelbook we don't have and buy it for the sake of buying it. THIS is what's causing the abundance of steelbooks being released recently.
And yet, I've seen too many people buying movies they don't like, or sometimes they can't even watch (because either the disc is not with the correct region code for them, or because the movie has no understandable dubs or subs for them) just because it's steelbook.

And sometimes, the steelbook isn't even nice looking.
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrate; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #103
Special Member

Jun 2011
South Hill, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
And yet, I've seen too many people buying movies they don't like, or sometimes they can't even watch (because either the disc is not with the correct region code for them, or because the movie has no understandable dubs or subs for them) just because it's steelbook.

And sometimes, the steelbook isn't even nice looking.
I couldn't agree with this more! Yes, I like steelbooks. If it is a movie I was going to purchase anyways, and a steelbook was available, if it was a cool looking steelbook I'd get that one. But my deciding factor in the purchase overall is the movie. I can't understand the point of buying a movie you don't like because it has a metal case...
Most Anticipated Movies to Get the Blu Treatment
Salem's Lot | Zoolander | White Chicks | Drop Dead Gorgeous | It Happened One Night | Let's Scare Jessica to Death | Empire Records | The Fearless Vampire Killers | Mommie Dearest | A Life Less Ordinary | Date with an Angel (BOLDED HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #104
Special Member

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClarke View Post
I couldn't agree with this more! Yes, I like steelbooks. If it is a movie I was going to purchase anyways, and a steelbook was available, if it was a cool looking steelbook I'd get that one. But my deciding factor in the purchase overall is the movie. I can't understand the point of buying a movie you don't like because it has a metal case...
Because you like the case? Some people collect steelbooks... they just happen to also have movie discs inside. No different than collectors who buy slabbed/graded comic books... they can't read them like that.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #105
Special Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip View Post
In my humble opinion we may be reaching market saturation (I know it is getting close for me personally). I can understand the retailers and the studios wanting to make money, and I can appreciate them wanting to capitalize on the surging popularity of SteelBooks, but eventually everything like this hits a ceiling/breaking point.

I have seen it happen to something I enjoyed before (comic books in the late 90s). Supply was limited (theoretically for special issues), demand was high, and collecting was popular. The comic book publishers started pushing out more and more special editions, unique covers, multiple covers, etc.; before too long the "collectors editions" weren't so special, and the multiple variants became too difficult/expensive to keep up with...the popularity imploded.

In my opinion SteelBooks are walking dangerously close to this type of implosion now. The shear number being released seemed daunting to me (although I only collect Canadian releases). To me the most vivid (and personally reminiscent) sign that we are reaching a breaking point, is the pending multi-cover release of The Hunger Games by FS Canada. If that sort of thing takes off/continues, I know I am out.

I know i have only been collecting SB's seriously since the first BBY wave earlier this year .. .and I'm already getting tired of it. It's so easy getting hung up on all these exclusives. I just bought 3 copies of the TDKR and I don't plan on opening ANY of them. I will have to go back to my inital rules: Superheroes, Disney and iconic images. I actually passed on MIB 3 BBY excl. I thought I was finished for a while until that Warner wave: I know I will be getting Ben Hur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
Not only the studios will do more and more Collector stuff because there is no added value in just presenting the movie compared to what people want when they use Netflix etc (just watching the movie in a decent quality), but people are actually willing to give extra value to this collector stuff.

Look at Disney. They can litterally create demand for something completely hedonistic by recalling every important movie and keeping it for at least 3 years in their vault.

Same for collector editions : just do one, limit it below the demand, create a demand, and after some time, re release it. Boom, easy money.
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but it seems that the "exclusives' are selling out faster and faster. the TDK batpod and Watchmen Owl ship would never have survived to see a Lightning Deal on Amazon if they were released today. Probably most of this is due to resellers. Some guy got $500 for the E.T. ship shortly after it was released. There's a guy on eBay that had over 100 copies of the Titanic Amazon excl. (that's around $7000 investment ) .. .and he's only sold around 20 or so. (I've been monitoring his listing since it was first put out .. ).
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #106

Nov 2012
Batcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
I know i have only been collecting SB's seriously since the first BBY wave earlier this year .. .and I'm already getting tired of it. It's so easy getting hung up on all these exclusives. I just bought 3 copies of the TDKR and I don't plan on opening ANY of them. I will have to go back to my inital rules: Superheroes, Disney and iconic images. I actually passed on MIB 3 BBY excl. I thought I was finished for a while until that Warner wave: I know I will be getting Ben Hur.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but it seems that the "exclusives' are selling out faster and faster. the TDK batpod and Watchmen Owl ship would never have survived to see a Lightning Deal on Amazon if they were released today. Probably most of this is due to resellers. Some guy got $500 for the E.T. ship shortly after it was released. There's a guy on eBay that had over 100 copies of the Titanic Amazon excl. (that's around $7000 investment ) .. .and he's only sold around 20 or so. (I've been monitoring his listing since it was first put out .. ).
Now that's just ridiculous, He couldn't possibly have thought he'd get a good turnover on that many copies!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #107
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Keep SB COMING. No abuse felt here.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #108
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

I'm starting to see more and more steelbooks where the ugly blue bar and rating logos are printed on the steel to save costs by leaving out the j-card.
I think they're totally missing the point of releasing a steelbook in such cases.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #109

Nov 2012
Batcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
I'm starting to see more and more steelbooks where the ugly blue bar and rating logos are printed on the steel to save costs by leaving out the j-card.
I think they're totally missing the point of releasing a steelbook in such cases.
That totally puts me off buying a steelbook
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #110

Oct 2012

Abuse me moar!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #111

May 2011
UK

So I look at Play's website now the MI trilogy and Cloverfield have arrived and it's now looking very thin for new steelbook PO's. Hope things pick up after Christmas
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #112
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh84 View Post
So I look at Play's website now the MI trilogy and Cloverfield have arrived and it's now looking very thin for new steelbook PO's. Hope things pick up after Christmas
Yeah its looking a bit crap right now. Im sure that will change fairly soon though. Oh no, not more steelbooks...oh well!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks