COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Bones: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #61

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
At the Hobbit screening this weekend, our local theater showed two onscreen Fox Blu3D ads for Avatar and I, Robot (the latter emphasizing that "the movie that was built for the 3D experience" was now available "only AT HOME!")

I've, um, never seen them do that before.
Which ad said that which movie was 'built for the 3D experience'? Avatar I'd believe, since that was good 3D. From what I've seen of I, Robot on a Fox 3D demo disc (Take The 3D Journey), it's very much dissapointing, since the 3D is only apparent on a few shots. If I, Robot was advertised as being 'built for the 3D experience', then there's a chance this may turn people off 3D, since they may be expecing good levels of 3D, not a movie that sparingly uses 3D.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #62

Jul 2012

It isnt dying at all. Most people who havent adapted yet are ones who didnt deem it worthy to upgrade from HD to 3D which I understand. But it will keep picking up steam.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #63
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
I had to stir the pot a little, sorry guys!

Good to see some of you took it seriously... I love reading a good, ignorant post. Just thought I'd try my hand at creating one!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #64

May 2008

I think the misunderstood beauty of 3D is that it's only an option. Not every has to like it. Some will not see the point of it. Which is, it's a feature that can be enjoyed when you need it. You never know when the next Avatar is coming out or that one 3D blockbuster that's just a joy to watch in 3D.

And with upcoming 3D titles like this to look forward to, I'm glad I have that option.
http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Last edited by BigJayJay; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I think the misunderstood beauty of 3D is that it's only an option. Not every has to like it. Some will not see the point of it. Which is, it's a feature that can be enjoyed when you need it.
This is the crux of it. I've never understood why people get bent out of shape when 3D TVs are the "only option" at the store... they didn't complain when manufacturers started including features like zoom, sharpening, noise reduction, hue/saturation adjustment, PIP...
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #66

Jan 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I think the misunderstood beauty of 3D is that it's only an option. Not every has to like it. Some will not see the point of it. Which is, it's a feature that can be enjoyed when you need it. You never know when the next Avatar is coming out or that one 3D blockbuster that's just a joy to watch in 3D.

And with upcoming 3D titles like this to look forward to, I'm glad I have that option.
http://www.startrekmovie.com/
Amen to that. When I bought my 3D TV about a year and a half ago they had the same exact TV just without the 3D option for $80 less. For $80 more I said, "why the hell not." Now I own close to 50 3D movies
Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

The problem with 3D is that it's still too inconsistant. You get some movies that are jaw dropping like Avatar (watched the other night) and then Transformers 3 (last night). I didn't like the 3D in T3 at all ! Too dim and fuzzy. Then I put Avatar back in the player and was wow'd once again. The crappy ones (and there are too many) is what is turning people off. I was one of these people.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver, NAD M25 amp, Oppo bdp-93, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm ADP-590 v5, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #68
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
The problem with 3D is that it's still too inconsistant. You get some movies that are jaw dropping like Avatar (watched the other night) and then Transformers 3 (last night). I didn't like the 3D in T3 at all ! Too dim and fuzzy. Then I put Avatar back in the player and was wow'd once again. The crappy ones (and there are too many) is what is turning people off. I was one of these people.
Even the 3D rating system is very inconsistent....I find wildly varying perceptions even among different 3D fans! Go figure....
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #69

Aug 2011

People have to realize that 3D is not meant to donminate and replace 2D, it's not feasable. But what it can do is becoming a fun way to watch a select genre of movies in the theater and then have a similiar experience in your own home.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #70
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Default latest news for the Haters!

http://advanced-television.com/2012/...et-flourishes/

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #71

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
It is inconsistent, just like anything else. You can go buy a slice of bread and each vendor does it different. It's not going to be the same. Not every studio has the $$$ to do something on the level of Avatar. Some have bigger budgets and some have better technicians. And I'm cool with that. Some people think Prometheus has very good 3D, while I don't really think it's all that. So personal taste plays a role to. I liked the 3D in Avengers, but not to thrilled with the 3D in Spiderman. And that's fine, I'm cool with that. Not everyone makes the A-list. As long as there are a few good exceptional 3D movies being released here and there, then I can appreciate the technology of when it's done right.

With anything else, it takes time. 3D has improved. If you watch an older 3D movie, versus a current 3D movie, sometimes you can see the advancement in the technology. We are on the crust of this IMO, it's just getting started. And I'm just glad we have that option to view at home for when there is a 3D movies that comes out, that a studio had the time, money, and experience, that we can view it at home and enjoy it like we did in the theater. There will be another movie that rivals Avatars 3D success. Avatar made to much money at the theaters for it not to. When done right, 3D is a beautiful experience. You look at the potential of 3D and I don't think we have reached the point of "what it can be". Avatar was great, but there is more to be had. Just hold tight, and get your 3D equipment ready. The ride hasn't even started yet.

Last edited by BigJayJay; 12-21-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies