COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Step Up All In (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fast & Furious 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$47.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #35501
Special Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Watch Rec 1 and 2.
Okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
True. But if the images and individual scenes make you feel nothing, so you have neither a story to be invested in NOR "feelings," then is it legitimate to criticize??
Of course, in the absence of story you should be even more critical of everything else, and if the film goes for the route of emotional resonance rather than tangible structuring and fails to create any kind of emotional bond with you then it has failed. It hasn't failed because of a "lack of story" but instead a "lack of connection". Some films are just inaccessible and some people will try and make you feel stupid for that but the great thing about non narrative driven films is everyone will respond differently, as it requires you to reflect on yourself when responding to the imagery, emotions and moods presented because you have no narrative framework to bounce your feelings off of.
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (Yesterday), SymbioticFunction (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #35502
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
The Ocean State

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
The Descent was one of the films that turned me around on the current state of horror. It's very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
I wish they made more like that. I really do.
I don't know if you've seen this film before or not:

It has a pretty deplorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes, though I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
”Always leave boiled rice out for mice and keep lamps dark out of pity for moths.” The ancients had this sort of concern, and it’s really the whole point of life, generation after generation. Without it, one can only be called a blockheaded carcass. - H.Z.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - T.P.
Thanks given by:
octagon (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #35503
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Irwin View Post

It has a pretty deplorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes, though I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
I will look at it. Thanks.
"I'm Alien. My real name is Al, but truth be told, I'm not from this planet."
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #35504
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Has anyone seen Doctor Who: The Deadly Assassin? I hear it's like the Matrix.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #35505
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
I will look at it. Thanks.
Please don't. It's not a good film at all. I'm doing you a solid by warning you.
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #35506
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
Has anyone seen Doctor Who: The Deadly Assassin? I hear it's like the Matrix.
Uh... it has a "matrix" in it, but it's not like the movie even a little bit.

(You might be making a joke of some kind, I haven't followed the thread closely. )
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #35507

Jun 2013
United States

I second who ever mentioned The Descent. One of the best horror movies since the turn of the century. Easily.
#1: Skyfall - 4/17/13 | #50: Drive - 6/26/13 | #100: Gangster Squad - 9/1/13 | #200: The Princess Bride - 6/13/2014
Thanks given by:
SilentDawn (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #35508

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Irwin View Post

That cover art reminds me of Tremors a lot...
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #35509
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

CA: TWS was everything Iron Man 3 should've been -
An excellent post-Avengers film
Dramatic with the right sprinkling of action and humor
It handled the fall-out of Avengers a lot better than Iron Man 3 did and it avoided the over-use of 1-liners and cheesy effects like constantly exploding armor
It helped show us who the man behind the costume is and it did it better than Iron Man 3 did
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #35510
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
It handled the fall-out of Avengers a lot better than Iron Man 3 did and it avoided the over-use of 1-liners and cheesy effects like constantly exploding armor
It helped show us who the man behind the costume is and it did it better than Iron Man 3 did
Oh yes. Captain America certainly functions as the "diamond in the rough" subfranchise.

As an addedum, I feel like a standalone Hawkeye or Black Widow movie (Renner killing people with a bow? Johannson killing people with whatever? Yes to both!) would also be supremely better than any Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, or Avengers movie.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #35511
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
There's nothing unpopular in this statement at all, and that's a good thing.
Old Today, 04:12 AM   #35512
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Uh... it has a "matrix" in it, but it's not like the movie even a little bit.

(You might be making a joke of some kind, I haven't followed the thread closely. )
It wasn't a joke. I probably didn't word it right.
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #35513
Special Member

Jan 2009

The Exorcist is not scary...but then again not many movies scare me.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Old Today, 06:44 AM   #35514
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEЯNOБLY! View Post
The Exorcist is not scary...but then again not many movies scare me.
I'll go one step further: No movie is scary, although many "scary" movies are good, and even great (i.e., the Exorcist).

Also: The Conjuring sucks, is boring, generic, and is one of the worst haunted films there is, and in fact one of the worst horror films in years. I don't know why Wan felt the need to make the same film four times, but the schtick was not that great to begin with, and by the Conjuring "trite" is an understatement. Insidious, I'll say was okay, minus some late-game melodrama, but the Conjuring was almost bad enough to walk out of (and I don't do that).

I really don't know why it's so acclaimed. This is not a case of me disagreeing with the critics but seeing where they come from. This is a case of me not seeing where they come from.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #35515
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
I'll go one step further: No movie is scary, although many "scary" movies are good, and even great (i.e., the Exorcist).

Also: The Conjuring sucks, is boring, generic, and is one of the worst haunted films there is, and in fact one of the worst horror films in years. I don't know why Wan felt the need to make the same film four times, but the schtick was not that great to begin with, and by the Conjuring "trite" is an understatement. Insidious, I'll say was okay, minus some late-game melodrama, but the Conjuring was almost bad enough to walk out of (and I don't do that).

I really don't know why it's so acclaimed. This is not a case of me disagreeing with the critics but seeing where they come from. This is a case of me not seeing where they come from.
Kind of agree. I was expecting it to be much better than it was and I certainly preferred Insidious. Or Sinister. Actually Sinister is the best of the 3.
Leo needs new shoes...
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #35516
Expert Member

Jun 2013

Quote:

I actually think the scariest movies are the ones that people don't really consider horror films; Inland Empire, The Vanishing, Black Swan, ect.
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #35517
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustblumyself View Post
I actually think the scariest movies are the ones that people don't really consider horror films; Inland Empire, The Vanishing, Black Swan, ect.
Inland Empire is as scary as Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, maybe more so. So dark!
Leo needs new shoes...
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #35518

Sep 2012
Sweden

I've found that Asian, specifically Japanese, horror films are much more unsettling than their Western counterparts of the last 20 years or so. While Western horror films tend to be heavily stylized and over the top the Japanese ones are more about subtlety and suspense. For me, that's a lot more effective.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies