Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Beyond (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Road House (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Room (Blu-ray)
$8.88
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
The Buster Keaton Collection (Blu-ray)
$136.99
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hannibal: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Rick and Morty: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #6141
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Forget about all that zooming in malarkey, if people can't see how ragged the US compression is in this shot at normal size (just look at her cheek!) then I don't know what to say: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go...46984&i=11&l=1

Is it something that's all that obvious in motion? Perhaps not. But the Euro encode is still superior.
I have better than 20/20 and a large monitor and I would still classify that as a slight improvement likely not visible in motion at all.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (07-12-2016), IndyMLVC (07-11-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #6142
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1053
4
9
Default

Slight? Her face is a morass of macroblocks in the US. But as I said, would it be overtly visible in motion? Doubtful. (Especially since I had very little trouble with the compression on the new UK Highlander restoration, folks be losing their minds over the caps )
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #6143
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Slight? Her face is a morass of macroblocks in the US. But as I said, would it be overtly visible in motion? Doubtful. (Especially since I had very little trouble with the compression on the new UK Highlander restoration, folks be losing their minds over the caps )
Looked at it again for a while. Seriously just looks like a small grain difference to me. I don't see macroblocks. Weird. My monitor isn't pro-calibrated but it is set on a pro-calibrated "mode" for photoshop. I dunno.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #6144
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Looked at it again for a while. Seriously just looks like a small grain difference to me. I don't see macroblocks. Weird. My monitor isn't pro-calibrated but it is set on a pro-calibrated "mode" for photoshop. I dunno.
It's glaringly obvious to me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #6145
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
It's glaringly obvious to me.
Okay. Below the earring I see a bit of smoother surface, and her freckles might be less defined higher up, but I don't see macroblocking at all. Could be the monitor, who knows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #6146
Pieter V Pieter V is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Pieter V's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Netherlands
14
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #6147
MuRRe MuRRe is offline
New Member
 
Aug 2016
Default

So it seems I have the worse version?
Bought the 10th Anniversary Edition maybe 5 years ago?
The number on the 1st disc ends with R1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #6148
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRRe View Post
So it seems I have the worse version?
Bought the 10th Anniversary Edition maybe 5 years ago?
The number on the 1st disc ends with R1.
Yep. You want this one: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gladiator-Blu-ray/10420/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #6149
PuppetMasterBlu PuppetMasterBlu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
PuppetMasterBlu's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
656
39
125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Forget about all that zooming in malarkey, if people can't see how ragged the US compression is in this shot at normal size (just look at her cheek!) then I don't know what to say: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go...46984&i=11&l=1

Is it something that's all that obvious in motion? Perhaps not. But the Euro encode is still superior.
Is the UK version as good as the German edition?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #6150
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1053
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetMasterBlu View Post
Is the UK version as good as the German edition?
Exact same disc AFAIK. I've got the Dutch steelbook: again, exact same disc as across Europe.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
PuppetMasterBlu (08-19-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #6151
JohnCarpenterLives JohnCarpenterLives is offline
Special Member
 
JohnCarpenterLives's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
559
393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I'm late to the party.....is there a reason we should get this one versus the UK release? Also, which UK releases have the superior Universal remaster? There are so many UK Gladiator releases
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #6152
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
I'm late to the party.....is there a reason we should get this one versus the UK release? Also, which UK releases have the superior Universal remaster? There are so many UK Gladiator releases
You can get the UK release if you want. I bought the DE release because at the time it was cheaper.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JohnCarpenterLives (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #6153
JohnCarpenterLives JohnCarpenterLives is offline
Special Member
 
JohnCarpenterLives's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
559
393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
You can get the UK release if you want. I bought the DE release because at the time it was cheaper.
Do you know which UK releases would I want to consider? There are a lot of standalone Gladiator releases over there. Way more than I thought there would be lol!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #6154
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterLives View Post
Do you know which UK releases would I want to consider? There are a lot of standalone Gladiator releases over there. Way more than I thought there would be lol!
Not sure which UK release offhand. Geoff would know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #6155
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
22
Default

I see more vertical detail on her lip in the U.S. cap.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...=1&x=509&y=296
JVC DLA-RS500 front projector
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
MartinLogan Motion XT35 (fronts)
MartinLogan Motion 4 (surrounds x 3)
Rythmik dual 12" subs (L12)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #6156
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I see more vertical detail on her lip in the U.S. cap.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...=1&x=509&y=296
Are you sure it's not sharpening? Also, the grain is smudgy on the U.S. disc where it's nicely refined on the DE disc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #6157
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1053
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I see more vertical detail on her lip in the U.S. cap.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...=1&x=509&y=296
Right, I KNOW that this isn't how we watch movies but please, look at the 200% blow-up and then tell me that the US one isn't a blocky mess in comparison. (BTW I can see this blocking in the regular sized caps without any zooming whatsoever but no-one else seemingly can, so...I dunno )

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...&l=1&i=11&go=1

[edit] But it is an odd duck. There's genuinely a smidge more detail here and there on the US, and the coarseness of the compression actually makes it look sharper from a distance, while the Euro looks much more uniform at the expense of being the teensiest bit filtered, though there's also parts of the image where it retains detail that the US does not. Either way, it kicks the ARSE of the original disc and for that we must be eternally grateful.

Last edited by Geoff D; 10-04-2016 at 09:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
LRSVDR (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #6158
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
62
1270
99
442
133
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Right, I KNOW that this isn't how we watch movies but please, look at the 200% blow-up and then tell me that the US one isn't a blocky mess in comparison. (BTW I can see this blocking in the regular sized caps without any zooming whatsoever but no-one else seemingly can, so...I dunno )

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...&l=1&i=11&go=1

[edit] But it is an odd duck. There's genuinely a smidge more detail here and there on the US, and the coarseness of the compression actually makes it look sharper from a distance, while the Euro looks much more uniform at the expense of being the teensiest bit filtered, though there's also parts of the image where it retains detail that the US does not. Either way, it kicks the ARSE of the original disc and for that we must be eternally grateful.
You know I can as much I analyze this stuff and have for nearly a decade.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #6159
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1053
4
9
Default

Yes, I was just playing the martyr. Woe is me, cursed with the all-seeing eye!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #6160
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1235
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Right, I KNOW that this isn't how we watch movies but please, look at the 200% blow-up and then tell me that the US one isn't a blocky mess in comparison. (BTW I can see this blocking in the regular sized caps without any zooming whatsoever but no-one else seemingly can, so...I dunno )
You make me feel insane with these caps because as hard as I try, 6 inches from my monitor, I still can't see blocks on her cheek on the US disc. Now I DO see more grain in the German, but I don't see blocks on the US one. Maybe it's just my relatively warm colored monitor and her beige cheek playing tricks though, I usually agree with you on caps.

Either way I thought the US disc looked fine in motion, but not amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Jingle All the Way Blu-ray Discussion Thread Blu-ray Movies - North America Windows V 111 11-07-2015 01:46 AM
Blu-ray 3D Discussion Thread Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology Jimmy Smith 831 01-11-2014 06:41 AM
The Notebook Blu-ray discussion thread Blu-ray Movies - North America ThriceBB 79 07-24-2013 04:05 PM
Up In The Air Blu-ray Discussion Thread Blu-ray Movies - North America Bluster 200 05-29-2011 05:10 PM
All About Steve Blu-ray Discussion Thread Blu-ray Movies - North America jw 25 03-16-2010 12:10 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.