Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek Beyond 4K + 3D Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$98.94
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Angel Beats!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Road House (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Banned

Feb 2012
OH
Default Never released films?

So for a few years I have been wondering what the hell happened to SHANGHAI. The epic starring John Cusack from the Weinstien Company . Does anyone know what happened to this and if it will ever get released.
Same with that David O. Russell movie called Screwed of something like that that starred Jessica Beil or someone like her. Is that ever gonna get released.
I mean these are big movies but they seem to have just vanished.
Oh and there was a Halle Berry film from a few years ago where she had like multiple personalities that had some critic screenings and then was like never released on DVD or Blu I guess. Frankie and Alice I think it was called.
Well, it would be great to know what is going on with these titles and if there are more films like these that just seem to be stuck in some cinematic limbo.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Banned

Aug 2011

The 13th Alley (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1090634/

Carmike theatres distributed it in their theatres. I think most theatres had it for one weekend. I know my local theatre had it. Randy Wayne and David Carradine are in it so I'm wondering why no DVD release?

Last edited by remake; 03-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Banned

Nov 2011
Canada

The Day The Clown Cried

London After Midnight
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (11-07-2016)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
The coast.

I would like to know what is going on with:

1) Dragonslayer.
2) True Lies.
3) The Abyss.
4) Krull.
5) The Birdcage.
6) Friday The 13th Collection.
7) Creature.
8) Swamp Thing.

WHY HAVE THESE NOT BEEN RELEASED ON BLU YET!!??!!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
The Day The Clown Cried
Yes. This needs to happen. Jerry Lewis might be too old for it now, though.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

tons of movies like this unfortunately -wikipedia has a section on it. happens more often than you think. the Red Dawn remake sat of the shelf for years before they released it. the movie Take Me Home Tonight was done something like 4 years before it was released. in both cases, there were questions about them ever being released. in some cases though, I wish this happened to more movies. do we really need some of that crap that is released? instead of trying to make back some money and end up getting a bad reputation for putting out bad movies, some of these companies might want to just write these movies off and save their reputations.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Chesapeake, VA

"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Chesapeake, VA

"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Old 11-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimmelBlau View Post
I would like to know what is going on with:

1) Dragonslayer.
2) True Lies.
3) The Abyss.
4) Krull.
5) The Birdcage.
6) Friday The 13th Collection.
7) Creature.
8) Swamp Thing.

WHY HAVE THESE NOT BEEN RELEASED ON BLU YET!!??!!
https://www.amazon.com/Krull-Blu-ray.../dp/B00LU4URS0
Old 11-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jun 2012
UK

Glitterrati by Roger Avery and Bret Eatson Ellis, intended as a companion piece to Rules of Attra and the planned adaptation of Glamorama. Never released and never will pending a leak of some kind.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Full Love directed by Jean-Claude Van Damme
Old 11-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Updates from the original post: Shanghai and Nailed (aka Accidental Love) were released last year while Frankie and Alice was officially released two years ago (it did have an Oscar run in 2010).

London After Midnight was released. It's a lost film as the print got destroyed in the 1967 MGM vault fire (there's a big difference between never being released and not being seen since its theatrical run).

Black Water Transit probably never will be released due to the ThinkFilm legal scandal (though Accidental Love was part of that).

A few I can think of:
- Hippie Hippie Shake: Cillian Murphy/Sienna Miller historical film made during the height of their careers that was panned by one of the actual people involved and tested horribly. Universal shelved it and will likely never release it as Murphy is box office poison now and Miller's more remembered for that thing with Balthazar Getty than being in American Sniper.

- Coco (not the Pixar one). RZA's follow-up to The Man with the Iron Fists, possibly financed with stolen money from Martin Shkreli and starring that awful person who had the feud with Iggy Azalea over a name. Lionsgate wisely shelved it once they realized it would never make any money.

- The Red Canvas. Intended for a 2010 release and given a premiere in space, its US release was rescheduled a few times before being dropped altogether. It has still never come out (but a score album was released).

- Spring Break '83. A 2008 '80's retro movement comedy from the director of Poolhall Junkies that had John Goodman in the cast. Never released as crew members were not paid (even though there was a $17 million budget). The director also had some health issues which might have been a factor in bills never being paid.

- Grizzly 2: The Concert. The Cinema Snob did a whole episode on this one so I don't need to explain further.

- The Shadow King. Henry Selick's follow-up to Coraline was shut down by Disney during filming as they closed the studio they created to make the film. Another company picked up the rights but Selick, now free to do whatever, lost interest in finishing it.

- Bunyan and Babe. Another unreleased John Goodman film, this one a film from the animation studio behind Igor. MGM was supposed to distribute this but their bankruptcy and decision to leave theatrical distribution (outside of a few Orion titles) led Cinedigm to pick it up. But Cinedigm has more or less gotten out of theatrical distribution and is now focused on home video and VOD as put this one back in limbo.

- B.O.O. From the director of Igor (the second connection here) comes the movie that DreamWorks doesn't like to talk about. Due to a massive retool and bad timing (the Sony hack happened not long after the announcement of the retool), Katzenberg simply doesn't want to release the film. I'm convinced it could end up on Netflix.

- Dark Blood. Despite having a distributor in Lionsgate and having had a festival screening, River Phoenix's final film will never be released as long as his estate has a say in its distribution (they wanted the footage left alone while Georges Sluzier insisted on completing it after a near-death experience, he eventually passed away a few years after its premiere).

- Teen Lust. Part of one of the first Paramount slates put together by Michael Eisner and the Killer Dillers team, negative test screenings led this and two other films to be shelved. But while the other two (Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains and White Dog) were sold to pay cable and eventually hit repertory theatres and home video, Teen Lust disappeared completely. The only thing that's known to exist relating to the film is an unused poster design.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Power Member

Oct 2008

I saw a rough cut of a slasher parody called Slumber Party Slaughter at the Boston International Film Festival back in 2012. It was pretty funny, starred Tom Sizemore, and was directed by a descendant of Lon Chaney. Sadly it's never been released; I don't know if it even ever got a finished cut.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2013
American Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
So for a few years I have been wondering what the hell happened to SHANGHAI. The epic starring John Cusack from the Weinstien Company . Does anyone know what happened to this and if it will ever get released.
Shanghai got a domestic release from Anchor Bay. It's a BD-R though, like several recent Weinstein Co. releases. There is also a good version from the UK if you are region free (the much proliferated region free HK edition from CN Entertainment is not OAR).

It's a really good (not great) film noir that actually concerns matters of the heart more than matters of war. And it really sneaks up on you in a cool way if you like looking for subtly in your storytelling. Expertly shot and performed as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Blu-ray-John-Cusack
Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Grizzly 2 and The Day The Clown Cried are by far the most interesting.
Listen, do you smell something?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #16

May 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA

The Moon and the Sun. We stayed in the same hotel in Versailles as the film crew and cast. Met the director's family. Looked like it would be interesting, but it never came out.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

^ Named got changed, slate for sometime next year.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #18

Mar 2011
North Charleston, South Carolina
Default The one I've been waiting for....

...someday it will be released... until then I can be patient...
Dr. Lilian Thurman: Donnie, what did Roberta Sparrow say to you?
Donnie: She said that every living creature on Earth dies alone.

Elijah Price: Now that we know who you are, I know who I am. I'm not a mistake! It all makes sense! In a comic, you know how you can tell who the arch-villain's going to be? He's the exact opposite of the hero. And most times they're friends, like you and me! I should've known way back when... You know why, David? Because of the kids. They called me Mr Glass.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #19

Jun 2016
Atlanta, GA USA
Question

Nothing Lasts Forever
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-G5ZIPXkg
~ I know a place where you can get away / It's called a dance floor, and here's what it's for, so / Come on, vogue / Let your body move to the music ~
Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerslegs View Post
I watched it on TCM months ago. It came out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies