COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rocksmith 2014 Edition (PS3)
$39.99
Disney Infinity (PS3)
$44.99
Battlefield 4 (PS3)
$21.76
FIFA 14 (PS3)
$29.55
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (PS3)
$9.99
Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS3)
$24.99
NBA 2K14 (PS3)
$24.97
Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3)
$30.65
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)
$26.62
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
$19.99
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$35.27
WWE 2K14 (PS3)
$23.99
Hakuoki (PS3)
$39.99
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! (PS3)
$10.41
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$74.99
Injustice (PS3)
$21.99
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3)
$20.36
WWE '13 (PS3)
$19.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$26.78

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #21

Jun 2007

The one that comes to mind for me right away is "Window Shopping" for FIFA 10. I believe it is impossible to get at this point.
PSN: buldrhm
Plats 41, Latest: Burnout Paradise
http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/buldrhm#games
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
Well, opinions vary. That argument could be made for most games and then there would be no thread.
I'm just stating that, objectively, that trophy from Dragon Age isn't nearly as hard as many of the skill-based trophies that are out there. It does have a skill factor, certainly, and there's certainly a large luck factor as well, but the fact that you can pause the game and examine your options at any time makes things much more bearable. Do that battle enough and you'll figure it out + get lucky and win.

There are glitched trophies that rarely trigger, insane trophies that require you to top the leaderboards, other insane trophies that require nearly superhuman skills and/or reflexes, all of which are far more out of reach for your average player than one difficult trophy that has a luck element thrown in.

Compared to the skill-based trophies in Wipeout HD, some of the fighting games likr Battle Fantasia, Catherine's real-time puzzling, the super-score requirements in El Shaddai, and many other games, what you mention isn't even in the same universe of difficulty.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
Yeah, but hard usually equals time consuming. Consider that it takes about 1000 hours to reach General...how many of those Wipeout trophies do you figure would take that long?
Time consuming doesn't innately mean hard.

Which is harder, walking 1000 miles(non-consecutively) or running a 4 minute mile?

Nobody would say the former. And in fact the former is easy even though it takes a lot of time.

And no amount of time would get me the Wipeout HD trophies. I don't have the reflexes, period.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

I think we need to back up a second and define what makes a trophy difficult to get. To me (having earned a few thousand trophies at this point), any particular trophy may suffer from these factors:

- Obsolete

There are a small number of trophies that are simply not acquirable any more. Some require an online connection / service / opponents who no longer exist or are no longer supported.

- Glitched

There are a couple of trophies that are just flat out broken. I recall there was an NBA game a while back that has a single trophy that is impossible to earn (which also makes the platinum impossible). Other games have problems with trophies sometimes not registering when the correct conditions have been fulfilled. This can range in severity from "load from a previous save and try again" to "oh, and the game autosaves right after, better luck on another playthrough".

- High skill requirement

Some trophies require a ton of skill which the average user not only won't possess in a reasonable amount of time spent playing, but may never develop sufficient skills for. A lot of racing games fall prey to this, as do many fighting games.

Some action games also have crazy skill requirements, like "don't take any damage". Mega Man 9 comes to mind.

- Luck requirement

Some trophies are just horrible time-sinks because they're linked to a random result like trying to win a jackpot on a slot machine. They take no skill, but can require an indefinite time investment to meet the conditions due to blind luck.

- High time investment / severe missables

This isn't really a "difficulty" factor so much as a frustration factor. Some trophies require a ton of time investment (Warhawk, Resistance 2) while being open-ended on when you can earn progress toward the trophy.

Other games have collectibles or other things which are either missable ("Oh, you didn't unlock this side story to get this one collectible widget? Your collection is incomplete, better luck next playthrough!"), or are poorly documented and difficult to track (I'm looking at you GTA4 pigeons).

None of these are "hard" in the sense because pretty much any player "can" get them with enough time and proper attention spent, but making mistakes or being particularly bad at the game can make a long slog even longer.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Hi. Lost Planet 2's A Collector's Collector which requires a player be Number 1 on the leaderboards?

Edit - Edited

Last edited by tarvis; 01-29-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
Hi. Lost Planet 2's A Collector's Collector which requires a player be Number 1 on the leaderboards?

Edit - Edited
Eww, they did that?

Quake 4 had the same thing on the 360 and I just rolled my eyes. Yay for achievements/trophies which only a few dozen people total will ever earn.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Try getting any trophy from Trash Panic. I think it might be possible, but they're so hard to get that I just consider them theoretical.

Runner up: Bomber from Super Stardust HD

Dumbest trophies: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 trophies
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terjyn View Post
Time consuming doesn't innately mean hard.

Which is harder, walking 1000 miles(non-consecutively) or running a 4 minute mile?

Nobody would say the former. And in fact the former is easy even though it takes a lot of time.

And no amount of time would get me the Wipeout HD trophies. I don't have the reflexes, period.
that.... i read half the answers here and i thought no.... time can get most of those, hard = skill / luck based

probably ninja gaiden, max payne, or that online trophy in UFC where u have to play the guy who has the belt, but the guy who has the belt doesnt play anymore so its unobtainable
Blu's: 276
PS4 Games: 7 (Physical) 7 (Downloadable)
3/14 PS4 Games 100% Complete

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Xerios.png
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Glitched trophies aside, the most unreasonably difficult trophy I think I've come across or actually tried for was a multiplayer trophy from Uncharted 2 that was so rediculous most people who actually got it had to organize with friends and set up their own games just to farm it, and even then it didn't always pan out. Can't remember the name of the trophy though, or even what it was about though. I just remember I spent months on it, before finally reading online how people were getting it and decided it wasn't worth the trouble, especially not for a bronze that wasn't required for the plat. Aside from that, some of the madden (10?) trophies seem like pure luck to me, but I only play madden when my nephew visits, so I haven't gotten very good at it.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Special Member

Dec 2010

Gravity Rush - All That Glitters
Gold-medaled EVERY challenge.

it's both time consuming AND difficult to get..
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus Prime View Post
Try getting any trophy from Trash Panic. I think it might be possible, but they're so hard to get that I just consider them theoretical.

Runner up: Bomber from Super Stardust HD

Dumbest trophies: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 trophies
Yup.

For an excellent breakdown of Trash Panic, look no further than the discussion topic on PS3Trophies:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tra...-rating-4.html

One of the only games I have ever seen with a trophy rating that is almost unanimously 10/10.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3