Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Rockford Files: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.77
Heat (Blu-ray)
$7.88
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
John Wick: Chapter 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Hacksaw Ridge (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Shack (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Death Line (Blu-ray)
$24.99
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.52
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions (Blu-ray)
$17.89
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 03:27 PM   #63201
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I see what you're saying but I still get those moments of realisation, even on new films, as when I see a certain shot I think to myself "damn they would've had to cut that in half for pan and scan".
"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Thanks given by:
BNex99 (Today), bobbyh64 (Today), crissrudd4554 (Today), dallywhitty (Today), Geoff D (Today), Jakdonark (Today), Lionel Horsepackage (Today), Michael24 (Today), Trekkie313 (Today)
Old Today, 08:46 PM   #63202
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
She probably had an inclination of where the conversation was going, but who can blame her for wanting to avoid the subject.

I'm almost positive that it occurred to her that he was getting at the UOT, or just the idea of it crossed her mind when mentioning different versions, but she specifically has nothing to say on the subject. Even if they were definitely planning to roll out a 4K UOT with the next year or two, its common practice that you remain tight-lipped about that kind of thing until your official announcement.

But whether she was thinking it or not, her answer did seem to be specifically responding to "are you going to tinker with the films some more?" which answers the question of any kind of enhanced "Final cut" being a possibility
Old Today, 08:47 PM   #63203

Jul 2014

Part of me thinks we're all fools for hoping Disney will release the Stars trilogy as it was originally shown.

Look at how the company treats it's older animated movies. Most are either Smeared with DNR or digitally repainted frame-by-frame. I wouldn't give them a track record for catering to purists.
Old Today, 08:57 PM   #63204

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
It's just missing: "Two Thumbs Up!" - Siskel & Ebert, AT THE MOVIES
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (Today), Michael24 (Today), rodneyfaile (Today)
Old Today, 09:40 PM   #63205
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

See!? What did I tell you!?

Old Today, 09:42 PM   #63206
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

At this point based on what Kennedy said, it's obvious out of respect for Lucas he WILL get the final say on whatever iteration of the original trilogy is released. Unless he has a change of heart, it's unlikely the UOT will ever be released at least in his lifetime. I guess the question is, when will they release the remastered SEs? Given a 4K SE of A New Hope exists, I would have thought this year would have been great for a BD release, but...
Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 laser UHD front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100 CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Panasonic UB900 + HDfury Linker, Oppo UDP-203 & BDP-103D
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
MartinLogan Motion XT35 (fronts)
MartinLogan Motion 4 (surrounds x 3)
Rythmik dual L12 subs

Last edited by HeavyHitter; Today at 09:46 PM.
Old Today, 09:45 PM   #63207
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I honestly do think that as long as the dude's still alive then the restored UOT will never see the light of day.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (Today)
Old Today, 09:52 PM   #63208
Expert Member

Apr 2016

What is the point of not releasing the Classic Editions until Lucas is dead? If Lucas's wishes are that the Classic Editions never be released ever, okay whatever, but to release them after he's dead...? If that's the plan, what's gained by keeping them hidden and then releasing them in two decades?
Old Today, 10:01 PM   #63209
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

A Clockwork Orange was removed from UK distribution at the request of Stanley Kubrick in the mid '70s, it wasn't until his death a quarter of a century later that we FINALLY got to see it on these shores again.

I know it's not the exact same situation because people could still personally import ACO if they wanted to, it wasn't banned by the BBFC or anything, but it still shows the power that some directors hold over their material. And there's some anthology film which got a recent Blu release where one of the directors (Polanski, I think?) requested that his segment be removed.

Shit happens. Sometimes you just gotta wait it out.
Old Today, 10:05 PM   #63210
Power Member

Oct 2014

He might have twenty years of life in him yet, ol' George.
Old Today, 10:18 PM   #63211
Expert Member

Apr 2016

Someone needs to convince George that his original Classic Trilogy should be released. Then maybe he could work with Disney to release them!
Old Today, 10:36 PM   #63212
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I honestly do think that as long as the dude's still alive then the restored UOT will never see the light of day.
I must be reading this differently...she's confused about what he's asking, then says she isn't going to touch the films, they will always be his -- as in messing around with the films in some way. She doesn't say anything about pulling a Spielberg (who she's even tighter with than George) and releasing a set including the original version or the three major versions a'la CE3K, or the 20th anniversary DVD edition of E.T., original mono and updated soundtrack on the Jaws blu-ray, etc. I think she's saying she wasn't going to alter the films further.

At least that's what...

Old Today, 10:40 PM   #63213
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
Someone needs to convince George that his original Classic Trilogy should be released. Then maybe he could work with Disney to release them!
He released them himself as a bonus feature nod to the fans (and to combat the piracy of the laserdisc transfer which was becoming rampant).
Old Today, 10:42 PM   #63214
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
He might have twenty years of life in him yet, ol' George.
He might...then again, he's diabetic which is a progressive disease and none of us know when our time is up.
Old Today, 11:00 PM   #63215
Power Member

Aug 2013
TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Bingo. This whole thing has exploded in the typical way that things on the internet do, with little regard to truth.

In the end, the only positive that can possibly come from this is if a journalist (and I use that word loudly) asks her a follow-up directly.
Even then, what do people expect her to say? "Actually, yes, we will be releasing those for the holiday season, and they'll be announced sometime in June. Oops, I just announced them, didn't I? Dang, why did I answer that question..." If Disney or Fox have anything planned, they ain't gonna tell us till they're ready to tell us.
Thanks given by:
B72 (Today)
Old Today, 11:12 PM   #63216
Special Member

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Remember when Disney used to charge 79.95 for its VHS tapes? They could always try that out again... "The original, unaltered STAR WARS... Bring it home for the holidays at a special price of only one kidney! While supplies last."
Screen: Insignia NS-LTDVD26-09
Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT460

...and sometimes I miss my 1985 RCA console TV.
Old Today, 11:12 PM   #63217
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest rister View Post
i must be reading this differently...she's confused about what he's asking, then says she isn't going to touch the films, they will always be his -- as in messing around with the films in some way. She doesn't say anything about pulling a spielberg (who she's even tighter with than george) and releasing a set including the original version or the three major versions a'la ce3k, or the 20th anniversary dvd edition of e.t., original mono and updated soundtrack on the jaws blu-ray, etc. I think she's saying she wasn't going to alter the films further.

At least that's what...

[Show spoiler]
IMG_0709.JPG
"There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
Old Today, 11:13 PM   #63218
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
I must be reading this differently...she's confused about what he's asking, then says she isn't going to touch the films, they will always be his -- as in messing around with the films in some way. She doesn't say anything about pulling a Spielberg (who she's even tighter with than George) and releasing a set including the original version or the three major versions a'la CE3K, or the 20th anniversary DVD edition of E.T., original mono and updated soundtrack on the Jaws blu-ray, etc. I think she's saying she wasn't going to alter the films further.

At least that's what...

[Show spoiler]
I don't mean that just from the interpretation of her comments in that video, it's the overall vibe I'm getting right now. Disney are putting the pieces in place for the day it can finally happen but if they're not doing it for the 40th anniversary, then when? Just some random post-Fox-deal home video release or something? Maybe someone should swap out the UFO for the Falcon in that poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
He released them himself as a bonus feature nod to the fans (and to combat the piracy of the laserdisc transfer which was becoming rampant).
...which also ended up being a way to confirm in his mind that people didn't actually want them after all, Lucas conflating the reactions to the shit transfers with reactions to the original cuts themselves.
Old Today, 11:29 PM   #63219
Expert Member

Apr 2016

I don't understand why Lucas released the Classic Editions as bonus discs on DVD. If he wasn't happy with the originals, why release them? And why did he care if there were bootlegs of them? It's not like they were still producing the LaserDiscs and losing profit, right?

If these are the reasons, then why haven't the Despecialized editions persuaded Lucasfilm/Disney to release the Classic Editions on Blu-ray?
Old Today, 11:33 PM   #63220

Nov 2010

With all due respect to Kathleen Kennedy,
it surprises me that she didn't know what Steele was getting at with his "changes" question. No matter how clumsy the wording was. She is the current President of Lucasfilm after all. I can't help but think she was being coy.

Good for Steele for having the courage to ask.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America