Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
7 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #381

Aug 2011
Fairfield, CA

So it looks like Lionsgate decided to skimp out on the audio with The Expendables 3. Just lossy 5.1. I wonder why they give out retail discs on some of their titles but go cheap on others. Probably going to Be the same thing when Hunger Games: MJ Part 1 comes out sometime next year.
LG 47" 1080p 3D LED TV 47LA7400
Panasonic SC-BTT770 Blu Ray System
Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables
Thanks given by:
coldheart (11-27-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #382
Power Member

Aug 2012
Returning Some Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
So it looks like Lionsgate decided to skimp out on the audio with The Expendables 3. Just lossy 5.1. I wonder why they give out retail discs on some of their titles but go cheap on others. Probably going to Be the same thing when Hunger Games: MJ Part 1 comes out sometime next year.
The Expendables 3 has a 7.1 Dolby atmos mix on the retail. I imagine they assume that would be a draw in and of itself and Lionsgate wants to reward people who choose to purchase. I would also imagine this ties into how they decide which titles get lossy soundtracks. Action titles with lively soundtracks are going to be a much bigger selling point to people compared to subdued comedy/dialog heavy films. Their isn't much difference for people to hear on romantic comedy or dialog driven film... however there can be a plethora of things occurring at any time in an action film and thus that genre translates better to Uncompressed audio.
Wanted To Buy:
-Disney's Treasure Planet Slip Cover

"Do You Like Huey Lewis & The News?"
Old 11-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #383
Power Member

Mar 2007

Doesn't matter to me, wont make me buy!
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #384

Apr 2011
Philly , PA
Default Lionsgate are douches

The crappy audio from the Lionsgate will only be changed if we all call Netflix and complain about the inferior quality on the rental disc from Lionsgate and call Lionsgate as well.

They are always making inferior products because I bought 10 Blu-rays from that studio and all of them have died except for one they simply do not play after one year from purchase date. I'm not sure if they're doing that intentionally to make you buy another copy or they just have substandard manufacturing process.

We should all just boycott Lionsgate and hit them where they hurt their wallets.
"All right. So, listen. Why don't you give me a call when you want to start taking things a little more seriously? Here's my card."

I have an Alice in Wonderland (Cartoon) Blu Ray Disney Movie Rewards code for trade PM me if interested.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 AM   #385
Power Member

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJOKERx View Post
The crappy audio from the Lionsgate will only be changed if we all call Netflix and complain about the inferior quality on the rental disc from Lionsgate and call Lionsgate as well.

They are always making inferior products because I bought 10 Blu-rays from that studio and all of them have died except for one they simply do not play after one year from purchase date. I'm not sure if they're doing that intentionally to make you buy another copy or they just have substandard manufacturing process.

We should all just boycott Lionsgate and hit them where they hurt their wallets.
Yeah but Netflix takes what they are given so unless Netflix goes out and buys a bunch of retail copies (they aren't going to do that, it's expensive and they are going to piss lionsgate off) then they will continue to get rental copies. Boycotting lionsgate could work but good luck find enough people that care about rental copies with lossless audio. Most peopel don't even have home audio systems and even the ones who do probably don't even look at the audio. I care very much about this but not enough people do. The good news is that if I do like the movie then I can buy it and it will certianly have lossless audio.
Epson 5030UB Projector
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Blu-ray Player
Comcast Xfinity X1 Cable Box(Terrible)
Yamaha RX-V673 7.1 Audio Receiver
Polk CS2 Center Speaker
2 Polk Monitor 70 Front Speakers
4 Polk Monitor 50 Surround Speakers
Polk PSW505 Subwoofer
Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #386

Mar 2012

They just want to stop piracy, it takes only an hour copy a BD to the hdd
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #387
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2007
Metropolis

They aren't even including lossless audio on all of their retail releases, anymore. Lionsgate has apparently decided to cut their costs to the bone. I've started avoiding new copies of their BDs for purchase.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #388
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJOKERx View Post

Lionsgate isn't going to pay attention. The number of people who are upset about lossy audio on rental discs is going to be a very, very, very small percentage of all renters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
They aren't even including lossless audio on all of their retail releases, anymore. Lionsgate has apparently decided to cut their costs to the bone. I've started avoiding new copies of their BDs for purchase.
This is actually worrisome.
For Sale: Snow White and the Huntsman Bonus Disc ($5 shipped)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #389
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

renting blurays.. isnt that a thing of the past with streaming and 9,99$ blurays a few weeks after release?
S/T Nightbreed 3 Disc Limited Edition ! + Drive Novamedia + +Kimchi Iron Man Steelbook 1/4

check out my sell thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....4#post10054294
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....0#post10138080
Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #390
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansinthe View Post
renting blurays.. isnt that a thing of the past with streaming and 9,99$ blurays a few weeks after release?
Nope. Streaming, for the foreseeable future won't compare(not to mention lack of available content), and my 3 BD out plan allows me in the neighborhood of ~30BD/month. Much better than even $5 BD sales.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #391
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Michigan

Well just searched, and apparently I have 14 Lionsgate titles. I have never run into any trouble with any of them, though.

The audio issue, while not a problem for me directly, is just total BS. I know that it won't make a difference at the end of the day in sales, since most people wouldn't even know what you were talking about if you told them about it, but it's still total crap business model.

There's a BIG difference between running a profitable business on the one hand and providing an INTENTIONALLY INFERIOR product on the other.
Team Gale 4EVA! :)

YAY! The UO Thread is open again!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #392
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
Well just searched, and apparently I have 14 Lionsgate titles. I have never run into any trouble with any of them, though.

The audio issue, while not a problem for me directly, is just total BS. I know that it won't make a difference at the end of the day in sales, since most people wouldn't even know what you were talking about if you told them about it, but it's still total crap business model.

There's a BIG difference between running a profitable business on the one hand and providing an INTENTIONALLY INFERIOR product on the other.
That's why I'm worried about those double packs that Walmart sells. The Hunger Games/Catching Fire has zero extras and lossy audio. I wonder if the Rise of POTA/Dawn of POTA double pack is the same as well even though it's a different studio.
For Sale: Snow White and the Huntsman Bonus Disc ($5 shipped)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #393
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
That's why I'm worried about those double packs that Walmart sells. The Hunger Games/Catching Fire has zero extras and lossy audio. I wonder if the Rise of POTA/Dawn of POTA double pack is the same as well even though it's a different studio.
Yeah, that's worrisome.
Team Gale 4EVA! :)

YAY! The UO Thread is open again!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #394
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Very disappointed after receiving Catching Fire (and initially thinking there was something amiss with my OPPO player's audio settings) to realize that Netflix is now participating in a trend that I'd previously associated with redbox.
Thanks given by:
coldheart (11-30-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #395
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Ouch. Might you happen to know a few examples of movies for which even the retail BDs don't include lossless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansinthe View Post
I guess this in gest given the smiley, but as another poster alluded to, if I bought everything I'm interested in--financial concerns aside--my collection would literally take over my house.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #396
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

I think this hs been mentioned already but it merits repeating IMO: Lionsgate also dropped the supplements from Catching Fire. Not a new practice, but I'm very disappointed that Netflix is abiding this practice. Thank goodness for the ability to flip titles via my Amazon store.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #397
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I watched my BD rental from Netflix of A Most Wanted Man(fantastic film btw), and it was 5.1 DTS HD-MA.
So maybe there is some hope?

Also wouldn't a lot of these audio problems, if they exist on retail copies, be caught by the review?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #398
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned, but I watched my BD rental from Netflix of A Most Wanted Man(fantastic film btw), and it was 5.1 DTS HD-MA.
So maybe there is some hope?
I'm of a mixed mind on this. On the objective one hand, it's nice for those listening to AMWM and other LG titles which they've offered lossless on. But on the visceral other hand, it annoys me that this indicates it is not an across-the-board new authoring policy but rather a calculated choice to only gimp the Big Titles.

BTW are the two featurettes on that rental disc ("Making Of . . ." and "Spymaster")?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #399
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I'm of a mixed mind on this. On the objective one hand, it's nice for those listening to AMWM and other LG titles which they've offered lossless on. But on the visceral other hand, it annoys me that this indicates it is not an across-the-board new authoring policy but rather a calculated choice to only gimp the Big Titles.

BTW are the two featurettes on that rental disc ("Making Of . . ." and "Spymaster")?
I agree. Honestly it's kind of baffling! I can only hope that this trend doesn't catch on anywhere else and LG nixes it ASAP!

Yes, both those features were included on the rental BD. Both were short, but quite enjoyable after watching such a well-written/acted film.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #400
Power Member

Mar 2007

This has been going on now for several years with certain titles so I have a feeling it isn't gonna change.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America