Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
7 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
20 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #1381
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

As far as I know, every Trek film has stuff cut from it - some which we have seen and some which doesn't appear anywhere. I remember reading about Wrath of Khan having Khan's child cut from the film entirely as it made the movie a real downer when the Reliant blows up. There are supposed to be pics of this yet you never hear anything about it and no footage is released. Same with Search for Spock - there is supposed to be more on Vulcan at the end but it sounds like it didn't really add to the film, just more Vulcans on the screen sort of thing. Would be nice to get to see this stuff sometimes but it is looking less and less likely. I remember reading a Rick Berman interview after Generations came out where he said he would like to see the original cut of Generations be released as well but that is 20 years ago already and we haven't seen it. I find it a little weird considering there have been releases like Blade Runner and Aliens where multiple versions have been released. Even with the original 6 films, 3 of them have had alternate cuts released so why not at least show this footage even if they don't want to do full out alternate versions?

http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/12/t...wrath-of-khan/
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #1382
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Excellent comparisons Geoff.

TMP is an interesting case.

Wouldn't a new transfer have to have been made considering that the DVD is the DC and not the TC?
A logical assumption, but the DE was done on video, not film, so I believe that they started off with an existing master (and not a very good one) of the theatrical cut anyway. The geometry and vertical framing are extremely similar between the DVD and the 'before remaster' caps, only the DVD is cinched in a bit more at the sides. But the Blu-ray is different regarding the height and width of the frame, as well as the aforementioned geometry.

As I said, I can live with the TMP Blu-ray and I think the newer transfer is the only thing that saved it from looking as 'plasticky' as the other DNR'ed movies, i.e. it wasn't as grainy & noisy as them to begin with, so they didn't go medieval on its ass.

As for the AVS caps, good old Xylon.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #1383
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

A screencap from an idiotic cartoon is argument enough for people who don't happen to like a particular scene from a movie.

LOL
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #1384
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Here is a link to a thread at a Star Trek website that lists and has pictures of dozens of deleted scenes from all the Trek movies.

All the trek Blu-rays should have deleted scenes sections and 1,2 and 6 should have multiple versions.

'nuff said.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220249

The pictures of deleted scenes start on page 8 of the thread.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #1385
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
A screencap from an idiotic cartoon is argument enough for people who don't happen to like a particular scene from a movie.

LOL
Yawn.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #1386
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Yawn.
You are so right!
That's my reaction every time somebody lazily uses Scooby-Doo to mock any movie scene where someone is unmasked!
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #1387
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Why did someone have to mention Scooby Doo? Now you've set Bolty off again.
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #1388
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
A logical assumption, but the DE was done on video, not film, so I believe that they started off with an existing master (and not a very good one) of the theatrical cut anyway. The geometry and vertical framing are extremely similar between the DVD and the 'before remaster' caps, only the DVD is cinched in a bit more at the sides. But the Blu-ray is different regarding the height and width of the frame, as well as the aforementioned geometry.

As I said, I can live with the TMP Blu-ray and I think the newer transfer is the only thing that saved it from looking as 'plasticky' as the other DNR'ed movies, i.e. it wasn't as grainy & noisy as them to begin with, so they didn't go medieval on its ass.

As for the AVS caps, good old Xylon.
That's probably what happened.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #1389
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
That's probably what happened.
Most likely since the effects were in SD and not HD. That shows though what "Paramount"(or whoever) thinks of Trek because even at that point they weren't willing to spend the extra money so they would have it for the future and now they won't respend the money to do it in HD. That's why I doubt we will see anything new from them until the next jump in resolution.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #1390
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Here is a link to a thread at a Star Trek website that lists and has pictures of dozens of deleted scenes from all the Trek movies.

All the trek Blu-rays should have deleted scenes sections and 1,2 and 6 should have multiple versions.

'nuff said.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220249

The pictures of deleted scenes start on page 8 of the thread.
Agreed. Do multiple versions and put them up on places like iTunes and such to keep the costs down. If the price was decent(which is unlikely), I would buy and download digital versions of these films.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #1391
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
West Midlands, England

Whilst we're on the topic of deleted scenes and alternate versions etc. Has anyone else seen these before?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Time to die.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #1392
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

^^^

The first clip has been around since the mid 1980s and was created prior to the release of the movie for theater owners.

The clip in the turbo-lift is from the May 1985 showing of Star Trek II on ABC TV.

Those are the only 2 widely available video clips of deleted footage from Trek II.

The link I posted earlier has a couple dozens still shots of deleted scenes from Trek II as well as all the other movies.

I saw almost all the Trek II deleted scenes in the rough cut "workprint" that is at the UCLA film school.

A total of about 10 to 12 minutes of extra footage---very exciting to a Trek fanatic like myself.
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #1393
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
You are so right!
That's my reaction every time somebody lazily uses Scooby-Doo to mock any movie scene where someone is unmasked!
"Who wrote the alternate ending to Star Trek VI?"

"Me! Ruff!"
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #1394
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

At least it wasn't Scrappy Doo.
Old Today, 03:47 AM   #1395
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post