Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (DVD)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 (DVD)
$17.96

Chappaquiddick (DVD)
$14.99

Bull: Season One (DVD)
$14.96

Moonlight in Vermont (DVD)
$9.96

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (DVD)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
The Leisure Seeker (DVD)
$14.96

Timeless: Season Two (DVD)
$27.34
19 hrs ago
The Beach House (DVD)
$9.96

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (DVD)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
A Wrinkle in Time (DVD)
$14.99

The Rider (DVD)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #21

Jun 2016
Snowdonia, Wales

I have every single classic DW DVD released. I purchased most of them on day of release in the UK.
The Five Doctors was the first DVD I ever bought back in November 1999, a month before I even owned a DVD player to play it on! Come Christmas, it christened my DVD player that morning, much to the dismay of my girlfriend who would have rather seen a gladiatorial dressed Russell Crowe baring his thighs in super quality first.

With the releases of the 'Revisited' stories I subsequently sold on the previous releases of those stories to help shave off a few quid for each of them.

What the Restoration Team did for the majority of the range is second to none and to this day I have never felt so spoiled by their marvellous special features and extras more than any other DVD or BR film/tv release since.
The special features ranged from fun to informative and lovely retrospectives to deeper academic features.
They certainly are miles ahead (strike that, a cosmos ahead!) than the lame TV spot 'extras' and their ilk that seem to fill up the New Series releases. Some of the extras on the New Series boxed sets I just haven't bothered watching all the way through, switching off after 3 minutes realising many of them are just talking heads filmed for overseas channels trying to pitch and sell to the subscribing viewer what the show is all about!? I know what the show's about, stop pitching it to me, I bought the DVD!
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (06-12-2017)
Old 07-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
Banned

Aug 2014

I don't have much of the classic series yet but if I could afford to I would have bought every classic series DVD straight away in one massive purchase.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #23

Jun 2016
Snowdonia, Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post
I don't have much of the classic series yet but if I could afford to I would have bought every classic series DVD straight away in one massive purchase.
You can often get cheap DVDs sold as bundles on ebay. I've seen several listings where each DVD that is sold as part of a bundle of a dozen or so can work out to no more than 3 each.
That's a bargain as well as a time saver.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #24
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord View Post
You can often get cheap DVDs sold as bundles on ebay. I've seen several listings where each DVD that is sold as part of a bundle of a dozen or so can work out to no more than 3 each.
That's a bargain as well as a time saver.
It's a bargain...but I'm not really a fan of second hand copies.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #25

Jun 2016
Snowdonia, Wales

I've often bought used DVDs (not Dr.Who) from ebay and never had a problem with any of them where they describe the discs 'used but as new'.
I'd go one better and say that most DW fans take pride in their collections, I know I do and most of my WHO-fan friends I meet up with at local club get-togethers, they're as fresh as the days we bought them and I'd bet my TARDIS Tuner radio that you look after yours too.
Let's just say that you decided to sell your fresh and pristine collection on ebay and wanted to put across how brilliant condition they were in, because they are, you'd hope that your buyer takes your honest word for it and why should they even doubt you?
Where bundles of classic DVDs are sold you can see from the seller's descriptions that they're fans, with many being sold reluctantly to pay for something else in their lives and when they say that all the discs and covers are in mint to near mint condition, I tend to believe them.
Surely you've bought a second-hand video or book before and been happy with it?
Have a little faith in humanity and you'll save yourself a lot of money with those bundle sales as I've read that you're sometimes strapped for cash.
If I didn't already have a full set of classics myself, that's where I'd be turning to, especially the ones where the BBC Shop/Amazon etc. list as no longer in print. Doing it your way, you're in for the long-run, the expensive way and most importantly, the incomplete collection way.
No need to deny yourself a bit of money saving to save face that it's not brand spanking NEW new.
I'm probably wasting my time trying to give you advice as you have a tendency to ignore logic but for what it's worth, I'd happily buy off you if you were to sell your 'as new' collection. Or to put it another way, take a step back and look at your whole DW collection of DVDs, Bluray, steelbooks, audios, etc and ask yourself this, 'would I be happy to buy my own collection?'
And what's the worst that can happen? You buy a second-hand collection, and in the unlikely event they fail your 95% 'new' or less scrutiny, so you ask for a refund as you send it/them back. No loss to you.

Last edited by Doomlord; 07-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #26
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord View Post
I've often bought used DVDs (not Dr.Who) from ebay and never had a problem with any of them where they describe the discs 'used but as new'.
I'd go one better and say that most DW fans take pride in their collections, I know I do and most of my WHO-fan friends I meet up with at local club get-togethers, they're as fresh as the days we bought them and I'd bet my TARDIS Tuner radio that you look after yours too.
Let's just say that you decided to sell your fresh and pristine collection on ebay and wanted to put across how brilliant condition they were in, because they are, you'd hope that your buyer takes your honest word for it and why should they even doubt you?
I don't doubt them. That's not why I don't like second-hand stuff. It's just that I like things to be brand new simply because it's new (if that makes sense).
Quote:
Surely you've bought a second-hand video or book before and been happy with it?
I've bought a second-hand study book for university and second hand games. They were good conditions. It's always a last resort for me though.

Quote:
Doing it your way, you're in for the long-run, the expensive way and most importantly, the incomplete collection way.
True. I'd just need to get past the psychological 'it must be new' train of thought.
Quote:
I'm probably wasting my time trying to give you advice as you have a tendency to ignore logic but for what it's worth, I'd happily buy off you if you were to sell your 'as new' collection.
Thank you and same back. From reading your post I can see your the kind of person who takes pride in your collections.

Quote:
And what's the worst that can happen?
They send the DVD cases only instead!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #27

Jun 2016
Snowdonia, Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post

I'd just need to get past the psychological 'it must be new' train of thought.
Of course everyone prefers something new, that's a given but sometimes you need to take a leap of faith.
Your psychological bridge is stopping you from experiencing how you should and want to live and enjoy your life.
'And what's a bridge for, ehh? That's right, so stop dilly-dallying and cross it!'
Don't let it rule you. You rule it.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #28

Jul 2010
Shangri-La
Talking

i've been buying a sh*tload of them as of late. at the moment i have 78 of them and still have another 60 to get counting Power now since that's going to come out in the States prolly next year.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #29

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

well i haven't counted how many i have now, but i do have #52 left to get soon to be down to #43 i think? i have 9 more coming in the mail and the 1st one came to day which was Kinda. i actually hadn't seen this one yet.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #30
Special Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
well i haven't counted how many i have now, but i do have #52 left to get soon to be down to #43 i think? i have 9 more coming in the mail and the 1st one came to day which was Kinda. i actually hadn't seen this one yet.
You got Power of the Daleks, too?

I was disappointed they didn't do a reversible cover or something so it matched the rest of the series. But if it really bugs me, I'm sure there's cover art out there to print.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #31

Apr 2014
Arizona

I've recently gotten into Doctor Who, and I'm looking into the classic sets... Considering it doesn't go by series or volumes it confuses me out. (I know the orders of the doctors.) but being that each set has a special name I don't know which order it goes in?
Favorite Movies of All Time:
Star Wars | Back to the Future | Halloween | Lord of the Rings | Harry Potter | Stand by Me | Shawshank Redemption | Rushmore | Big | Saving Private Ryan | Rebel Without A Cause | La La Land | Drive | Toy Story | Meet the Robinsons | Coco | Love, Simon | Call Me By Your Name | The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRhodes94 View Post
I've recently gotten into Doctor Who, and I'm looking into the classic sets... Considering it doesn't go by series or volumes it confuses me out. (I know the orders of the doctors.) but being that each set has a special name I don't know which order it goes in?
Here you go;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...octor_releases

First one, for example, is The Beginning (An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, The Edge of Destruction, Marco Polo reconstruction), followed by The Keys of Marinus, The Aztecs etc etc.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Thanks given by:
CrossRhodes94 (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #33

Apr 2014
Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Here you go;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...octor_releases

First one, for example, is The Beginning (An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, The Edge of Destruction, Marco Polo reconstruction), followed by The Keys of Marinus, The Aztecs etc etc.
Thank you so much! This helps a ton!
Favorite Movies of All Time:
Star Wars | Back to the Future | Halloween | Lord of the Rings | Harry Potter | Stand by Me | Shawshank Redemption | Rushmore | Big | Saving Private Ryan | Rebel Without A Cause | La La Land | Drive | Toy Story | Meet the Robinsons | Coco | Love, Simon | Call Me By Your Name | The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #34

Jul 2010
Shangri-La

actually no Power is one i have yet to buy. are you buying R1 releases? or R2 ? with R1 some of them cost too much damn money to spend for certain releases.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #35
Special Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
actually no Power is one i have yet to buy. are you buying R1 releases? or R2 ? with R1 some of them cost too much damn money to spend for certain releases.
I bought the R1 releases at the exact right time... 2011-2012, when the serials were still being released and before sets started going OOP. I think War Games (one that's now OOP and too damn expensive, IIRC) was just released shortly before I started buying them.

So I got lucky.

If I were starting now I'd probably go with R2 since they're both cheaper and available. And, no edit in The Chase because music is just too expensive in the US.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #36

Jan 2017

I absolutely recommend (to CrossRhodes and anyone else) new buyers start with the R2 UK releases instead of the US ones. a few reasons why:

1. The UK packaging is really nice, and far more consistent than the dull black ones in the US.
2. A lot of the R1 releases are now OOP, and go for insane prices. The War Games alone is something like $300-500 last time I checked. It would be so much cheaper to import them.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #37
Expert Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Apart from the Key to Time box set, I only own DVDs from the first two Doctors, and even then I'm missing a couple, although I can't remember which ones - I know Planet of Giants is one but that's because it came out after the last Who DVD I bought, but I swear there's at least one from the Hartnell era I'm missing. Also Web of Fear, which I ended up not picking up because of the missing episode.

...which apparently was found with the other episodes but some unscrupulous individual swiped it for some private collector.

I also still haven't gotten around to replacing my old Seeds of Death with the newer release.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
...which apparently was found with the other episodes but some unscrupulous individual swiped it for some private collector.
Indiana Morris is confident of getting that one back.....eventually.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #39
Special Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
Apart from the Key to Time box set, I only own DVDs from the first two Doctors, and even then I'm missing a couple, although I can't remember which ones - I know Planet of Giants is one but that's because it came out after the last Who DVD I bought, but I swear there's at least one from the Hartnell era I'm missing. Also Web of Fear, which I ended up not picking up because of the missing episode.

I also still haven't gotten around to replacing my old Seeds of Death with the newer release.
I was okay with the missing Web of Fear episode and the reconstruction because of the circumstances surrounding it.

The release that pissed me off was Underwater Menace, where the BBC cheaped out after long delays and didn't bother with the long rumored animated reconstruction of the two missing episodes.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:14 AM   #40

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
The release that pissed me off was Underwater Menace, where the BBC cheaped out after long delays and didn't bother with the long rumored animated reconstruction of the two missing episodes.
This was supposedly to do with the belief that Phil Morris found episodes 1 and 4 and is sitting on them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies