Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
3 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
9 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #141
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
London ON Canada
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Have fond memories of this movie, but I don't think I need to add it to my collection
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #142

Jan 2013

Snagged it for 4.99 and for those who care it has a slip.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #143
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG uses a total of 40.9GB of space on the dual layer 50GB Blu-ray disc. It should be mentioned that 100% of all the bonus features for this movie is a combination of 1080P and 1080i quality. However the Blu-ray review at the following link mentions that some of the bonus features are “SD” quality. It appears that 20th Century Fox upscaled the 480i SD bonus features to 1080i HD before placing them on the Blu-ray disc. All the 1080P material is native 1080P, however it appears that all the 1080i bonus features for this disc are sourced from 480i SD material. I wish future reviews would mention when 1080i native bonus features are upscaled from 480i SD material.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chitty.../13697/#Review
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #144
Special Member

Jun 2011
Alhambra, CA

saw this at local Fry's today with "brand new" slips. Looks like they are still producing this disc with slips.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #145

Oct 2012

Anyone know anything about this new edition coming Jan 21? I assume it's probably not a new transfer, but I wonder why they're charging more for it than the blu ray/DVD combo pack.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #146
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Anyone know anything about this new edition coming Jan 21? I assume it's probably not a new transfer, but I wonder why they're charging more for it than the blu ray/DVD combo pack.
There's this entry for it with different cover art, suggesting this is just a reissue to celebrate MGM's 90th anniversary.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chitty...Blu-ray/93433/

Much of the Amazon description for it matches what's on the previous edition EXCEPT for what I turned bold. "pan-and-scan" really!?

Quote:
NEW BLU-RAY! Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1 Actors: Gert Frobe, Dick Van Dyke: This remastered, pan-and-scan 30th-anniversary edition of that kiddie-car caper is flawed but solid family fare. It retains a quaint charm while some of the songs--including the title tune--are quite hummable. A huge plus is Dick Van Dyke, who is extremely appealing as an eccentric inventor around the turn of the century. With nimble fingers and a unique way of looking at the world, he invents for his children a magic car that floats and flies. Or does he? The special effects are tame by today's standards, and the film is about 20 minutes too long--but its enthusiasm charms. The script was co-written by Roald Dahl and based on the novel by Ian Fleming, best known for his James Bond adventures. Language: English (DTS 5.1), French, Spanish Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 Number of discs: 1 Rated: G (General Audience) Studio: MGM DVD Release Date: 2013 ----------Special Features Disc 1: Re-mastered Blu-Ray Feature with newly upgraded 7.1 audio All-new "Toot Sweet Symphony" melody maker - the Toot Sweet Toots Musical Maestro All-new "Chitty Chitty's, Bang Bang, Driving Game" Remembering Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Dick Van Dyke "A Fantasmagorical Motorcar" featurette Sherman Brothers' Rare Demos of the film's most popular songs Vintage Featurettes including, "The Ditchling Tinkerer," "Dick Van Dyke Press Interview," and "The Potts Children's Featurette" Photo Gallery Vintage Advertising Gallery including English and French versions of the theatrical trailer and several television spots Sing-a-long version and much more! NEW BLU-RAY!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #147

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2HiDef View Post
There's this entry for it with different cover art, suggesting this is just a reissue to celebrate MGM's 90th anniversary.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chitty...Blu-ray/93433/

Much of the Amazon description for it matches what's on the previous edition EXCEPT for what I turned bold. "pan-and-scan" really!?
Since its original aspect ratio was 2.20:1, I suppose it's possible they pan-n-scanned it to 16:9...although that description does also say "Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1". Probably it's a mistake though, how many people who buy blu rays rather than DVDs would still have a 1.33:1 TV?

Last edited by Hypnosifl; 01-18-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #148

Jan 2014

does the 2013 blu ray edition have all the special features that was on the collectors ED. DVD? this a great movie to watch and is a classic in my mind.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #149
Special Member

Aug 2013
'London Zoo' (Uk)

region b capable for blueray? i understand the dvd will be locked to 1/a.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #150

Mar 2013
Kentucky, USA

Snagged the BD-only exclusive at WalMart yesterday for $4.96 - they had several MGM BD's near the front entrance with the exclusive limited edition artwork cards. If I hadn't been on a budget with two more stores to go to, I'd have also picked up It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World there as well. Those two and Red Dawn are the only ones I remember seeing, although I feel like there was one other. One could complain about this not being a combo pack, but I have the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD and no intention of getting rid of it, thanks to the beautiful packaging, and this was only $5, so I won't be the one to do so.

Previewed the transfer, and it looks remarkable. I did sometimes wish for a bit less brightness, but in general, except for the sodium vapor screen shots, which even on VHS looked awful (definitely not quite as "seamless" as the ones done on films at Disney), it almost looks like it could have been made in the last couple of decades. (But not in a "scrubbed perfectly clean" kind of way, but more like it's beautiful, sharp, colors are great, and you'd be hard pressed to find any flaws outside of the sodium vapor screen effects shots.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America