Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$165.00
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.89
Ocean Predators 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.95
The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.67
Dolphins and Whales: Tribes of the Ocean 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.50
The Lion of Judah 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Dec 2010
Default Confused about 3D Hdmi cables

I read that it is illegal or something like that for manufactures to advertise their cable as 1.4 spec....so how do I know which cable I need for my new 3d setup? will any hdmi cable work? because their seems to be controversy over the subject. Either way i want the 1.4 cable but how do I know if it is if they cant list it?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA, USA

http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-blu-ray-...-4-cables.html

Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketb View Post

Yeah I already read that prior to posting but I didn't realize those classes were shown on the package untill a midnight run to walmart

Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

I bought my HDMI wires through Monoprice. One 6ft, one 3ft and an 18" all for the huge sum of $18 (?)ish give or take. Black jacketed and nice cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Jeff
Integra DTR 40.2
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Paradigm LCR350
Rythmik FV15
Paradigm ADP 150 surrounds
Sony BDP S-590 Blu Ray player
Direct TV HDDVR
Sony 55"NX810 LCD/LED TV

Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Jan 2008

Thanks for the link.....so one from the BD player to receiver and one from receiver to tv?

Have older HDMI currently but just ordered new 3D TV.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #6

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

I have one cable going from my DTV receiver to my Integra receiver and another from the Blu Ray player to the Integra then the 6ft cable from the Integra to the TV. Everything is run through the Integra. I should mention that these cables are thick and very sturdy.

Jeff
Integra DTR 40.2
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Paradigm LCR350
Rythmik FV15
Direct TV HDDVR
Sony 55"NX810 LCD/LED TV

Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

But that's only because your Integra is 3D capable. My Integra DTC-9.8 is not 3D capable so I have to run one HDMI cable from my Oppo BDP-93 straight to the 3DTV for video and one HDMI cable from my Oppo to the Integra for audio.
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

The bottom line here: you don't need a special cable for 3D. Your existing HDMI cables will be just fine. HDMI.org recommends using a high speed cable, although a standard one will likely work unless the distance is overly long. Most cables are high speed these days.

HDMI versions refer to the transmitting and receiving equipment, not to the cables that connect them.

Last edited by BIslander; 07-27-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #9

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
But that's only because your Integra is 3D capable. My Integra DTC-9.8 is not 3D capable so I have to run one HDMI cable from my Oppo BDP-93 straight to the 3DTV for video and one HDMI cable from my Oppo to the Integra for audio.
Actually my 40.2 isn't 3D capable. The new 40.3 is though. But even though I now have a 3D player and capable TV I want nothing to do with 3D due to the wife and I having equalibrium problems.

Jeff
Integra DTR 40.2
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Paradigm LCR350
Rythmik FV15
Direct TV HDDVR
Sony 55"NX810 LCD/LED TV

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #10

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoorSaloon View Post
I read that it is illegal or something like that for manufactures to advertise their cable as 1.4 spec....so how do I know which cable I need for my new 3d setup? will any hdmi cable work? because their seems to be controversy over the subject. Either way i want the 1.4 cable but how do I know if it is if they cant list it?
This is a common misconception. There is NO such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable, but there are plenty of manufacturers selling "1.4 HDMI cables". Why they don't take the time to educate people is probably because it's easier to sell than explain. The truth is that there are standard (Category 1) HDMI cables and hi-speed (Category 2) HDMI cables. These cables support the various standards. From an engineering perspective (yes, I'm an engineer), these cables are tested for various characteristics (skew, crosstalk, etc.) and meet or exceed various standards. Some category 1 cables will work on the 1.4 standard, but category 2 cables have been tested to work on it.

It is the job of an engineer to make sure that even if you get something which barely passes and use it with another component which barely passes (and so on ad nauseam), that everything will still work. "Pads" are therefore built in. This is why some category 1 cables will perform adequately on any current, applicable standard (or they could have been tested prior to establishing the 1.4 standard and were just one of the "good ones").

I'm not going to give a detailed (and boring) lecture about resistance, capacitance, etc., but gauge and the twist of the wires are key elements when it comes to sending hi speed signals over (generally) copper cabling. Suffice to say that at higher speeds a signal becomes more and more difficult transmit without becoming distorted. Look at a category 5, 5e, or 6 cable sometime. Cut a chunk out and you will see 4 pairs of cabling (generally blue, green, orange, and brown). If you look closely, you will see that each pair has a very precise and differing number of twists. Because of the way electormagnetic fields appear to work, these twists allow hi speed signals to go end to end with an acceptable amount of loss and signal distortion.

So, if you find a 1.4 cable, keep it because it's the only one in existence and, as such, is probably quite valuable.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #11

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
Look at a category 5, 5e, or 6 cable sometime
Just to clarify, these Category 5/Category 5e/Category 6 Cables have absolutely no relation of sequential order to Category 1 and Category 2 HDMI Cables.

Being an Engineer, I am confident you know this but just thought I'd clear it up in case it brought about confusion.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinrai View Post
Just to clarify, these Category 5/Category 5e/Category 6 Cables have absolutely no relation of sequential order to Category 1 and Category 2 HDMI Cables.

Being an Engineer, I am confident you know this but just thought I'd clear it up in case it brought about confusion.
Right.....I was trying to explain what can be done to get higher data speeds to work on (virtually) any cable and mixed apples and oranges (HDMI and Ethernet). I hope I didn't confuse anyone with that......Category 5, 5e, and 6 are the cables generally terminated with those little RJ45 (to be technical......."fat" looking phone) connectors which fit so nicely into your computer and allow you to buy all this fun stuff from Amazon (unless you use wireless).

Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Aug 2011

I am right in saying there are only two types of HDMI cable, ones with network capability and ones without? the numbers like 1.3 etc are just to designate the features/revisions of the HDMI hardware found in a device.

I presume just because some revisions have the capability of having say, "true color" it doesn't mean they have it.

I am just trying to get this clear in my mind :P

Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdoa View Post
I am right in saying there are only two types of HDMI cable, ones with network capability and ones without?
The two types of cable are "Category 1" (standard) and "Category 2" (high speed).

These may or may not contain an ethernet channel.

The HDMI version number has to do with the HDMI Transmit/receiver chip inside the actual device.

Sticky: HDMI Cables

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #15

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
The two types of cable are "Category 1" (standard) and "Category 2" (high speed).

These may or may not contain an ethernet channel.

The HDMI version number has to do with the HDMI Transmit/receiver chip inside the actual device.

Sticky: HDMI Cables
doh!, ok got it now. Although to be fair I only got confused because of the sellers saying stuff was 1.3a etc :P

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #16

Aug 2011

Is there any way to look at a HMDI cable to determine if it is Standard or High Speed? I see no indication on the cable, so I guess it was poor planning on HDMI's part they didn't enforce some sort of labeling on cables. I presume the only way is to plug it in and test it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #17
Banned

Feb 2011
Deep in the Valley

I just bought a 3d blu ray player and the tv is next. I also ordered a 3 ft high speed hdmi from monoprice...should work just fine I assume

Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #18

Aug 2011

I just ordered a high speed HDMI from John Lewis today. It has an ethernet, suitable for SMART TV's so I've been told.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdoa View Post
Is there any way to look at a HMDI cable to determine if it is Standard or High Speed? I see no indication on the cable, so I guess it was poor planning on HDMI's part they didn't enforce some sort of labeling on cables. I presume the only way is to plug it in and test it.
The ones I ordered from MonoPrice are labeled as "HIGH SPEED" on the cables themselves. They offer a standard speed option as well, which are significantly cheaper (about a third to half the price as the high speed alternative, same lengths).
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
🎮 Batman: Arkham Knight LE PS4 || 🎮 Uncharted 4 LE PS4 || 🎮 Forza Motorsport 6 LE Xbox One
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #20
Banned

Dec 2011

I bought my HDMI wires through Monoprice.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players