Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

The thing about black and white film is that we don't see in black in white with our daily vision (most people). In that way, apart from keeping the classic version intact, a separate color version would give the films more appeal to new audiences. I didn't know Lucas was opposed to colorization of the classics, though he adjusts his own films since he owns all of the rights.

Black and White to color, 2D to 3D, a double whammy for those opposed to tinkering with the classics, even though the original versions remain intact elsewhere.

The main concern, aside from the 3D strength, would be if the resolution is muddy or clear. 14.99 on amazon I see. That's a nice price.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
I have ZERO interest in seeing The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals in color. Same for them in 3D.
I love the Stooges and wouldn't mind seeing them in 3D but in color it seems odd. I still an interested in checking this disc out though just to see how it was done. If I remember correctly sony released some of the stooges shorts in color a while back and they looked good yet kind of strange as we are so used to seeing them in black and white
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Expert Member

Oct 2006

Can't you just turn down the color on the tv, or is not the same?
JVC RS40 projector / 118 inch Carada screen
Panasonic BDT-500 3D blu-ray player
Darblet
Yamaha 1800 receiver
Infinity Primus 360 front towers
Infinity Beta C360 center speaker
4 Infinity 160 surround speakers
SVS PC 13 Ultra sub
Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Expert Member

Jul 2010

I'd like The Wooden Soilders in color cause of the toys and cause I use to watch this at Christmas time when I was a kid. I'd like the movie in 3D too. Also, every time I see the title of the movie somewhere I immediately start playing that music that's played during the battle in my head.

As for the Stooges and Rascals, I'd rather them in b&w and 3D.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I'd like The Wooden Soilders in color cause of the toys and cause I use to watch this at Christmas time when I was a kid. I'd like the movie in 3D too.
Posted this link to the dedicated March of the Wooden Soldiers 3D thread yesterday.
Amazon.com now has a single disc 3D version of March of the Wooden Soldiers (3D Blu-Ray) for $14.99 to be released on October 30, 2012 and the Combo pack 3D version is released Nov 6.

------------

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 10-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #26

Oct 2012

Who's heard anything about these!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #27

Jul 2010

The Stooges review is up!:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Th.../52764/#Review
Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Power Member

Jul 2007

The review is up for The Three Stooges in 3D and Jeffrey Kauffman gives the 3D post-conversion a 4.0 out of 5!
Quote:
The 3D post-conversion on the other hand is largely excellent and inarguably well done. Legend was one of the first labels devoted to 3D, and their expertise with this technology is readily apparent in all of these shorts. There's been exceptional care devoted to these pieces, with a really nice layering of depth (note for example in Disorder in the Court how there are clearly defined layers of the court observers depending on where they're sitting, rather than just simply foreground and background objects). A number of the sight gags are increased due to this dimensionality.
Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
Can't you just turn down the color on the tv, or is not the same?
It's not the same (B/W cinematography was overlit enough to separate the lights from the darks, not 500 shades of gray), any more than colorized is the same as color--
Having seen Legend's colorized Stooges on the Sony disks, however, I can say it isn't bad. At least, it's not THE issue you should be shaking fists about, compared to the cheesy pseudo-3D claim-jumping.

(Although there is the theory that B/W comedy is funnier than color comedy, for some reason, because it's "less real". Try turning the color down on any other comedy and see if it isn't so.)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
Power Member

Jul 2007

Checked out the 3D in "The Three Stooges In 3D" an I am amazed how good the 3D is rendered.
IMO, the best 3D conversion I've experienced yet, both in stereoscopic placement and depth of field.

This high-definition restoration uses a colorization process that seems to be state of the art in a quality level that I have never seen before and I'm really surprised what can now be accomplished.
IMO, it now looks as good as if it was filmed with native color film.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Checked out the 3D in "The Three Stooges In 3D" an I am amazed how good the 3D is rendered.
IMO, the best 3D conversion I've experienced yet, both in stereoscopic placement and depth of field.

This high-definition restoration uses a colorization process that seems to be state of the art in a quality level that I have never seen before and I'm really surprised what can now be accomplished.
IMO, it now looks as good as if it was filmed with native color film.
Yes, for a direct conversion of 2D to 3D with no CGI to reference, March and Stooges 3D both look good in 3D with nice, basic layering of 3D.

On the disc, they refer to themselves as "3D Classics", with a team of 40+ stereo artists.

The 3D for 3 Stooges 3D and March of the Wooden Soldiers 3D looks better for 3D layers than 3D Legends' conversion of Smurfs 3D, which was generally weak except for some impressive pop outs here and there.

As I mentioned in another thread, the separation of the double image is barely noticeable, but when you put the 3D glasses back on, the 3D layer pop is definitely there.

It can't compare to amazing 3D as in Madagascar 3 3D, but for a direct 3D conversion, what's here is good for 14.99 each. And it's a better set of conversions than I Robot 3D I'll say.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies