Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #21

Dec 2011

Kind of reminds me of being a comic book reader trying to convince people to give them a try. Doesn't matter how adult or sophisticated the material is, a lot of people who read "real" books simply can't accept that comics can not only be worthwhile, but that they can tell stories in ways completely unique to the medium. The best thing is to read both comics and "real" books, of course, so you get the best of both worlds.

Interesting comparisons to be drawn there from comic books:"real" books, 3D:2D, and animation:live action. The first in each has an unfair interpretation of being "childish" in some way, that the aficionado of each prefers spectacle over substance.

I find that people have the impression of 3D fans being the home video equivalent of "comic book guy," exacerbated by that impression they took away from the beginning that the format catered to children. Friends and coworkers often are surprised when they find out I took the plunge into 3D, since my tastes tend to run more toward art, classic, and foreign fare. (Similarly when they find out I have a huge comic book collection in addition to a library of thousands of "real" books.) But hey, I'm the one who gets to watch Hugo and Avatar and Pina and Cave of Forgotten Dreams and Prometheus in the ways the directors intended... and maybe as they meet more people who let them know there's more than just Smurfs and Chipmunks in it for them, the more interested they'll become.
Formats currently playable in media set-up: Blu Ray 3D, Blu Ray, DVD, Video CD, Laserdisc, Laseractive, CD Video, CED, VHD, 3D VHD, Betamax, CD, CD+G, audio cassette, vinyl, Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128. No VHS!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

I'm not a big fan of animation hence why I only have a few which are 3D,the only reason I bought them.
That is also the reason why I don't own a lot of 3D titles.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I rarely watch animations. Just not a fan.

But 9/10 times the 3D in an animated film is better than that in a live action. All conversions look below the bar to me (John Carter, Avengers, etc.), but the two live actions that have the best 3D (Avatar and Hugo) are way better than any animation.

Funnily enough, in my own opinion, the two best animations are conversions. Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Just seems to work better with the medium, or perhaps more effort or a different technique was used.

I'm yet to watch Titanic. The trailer in the theatre was really amazing though. Looked almost native to my dodgy eyes.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #24

Jun 2011

I prefer live action.. I really enjoyed the 3D in Sanctum, it was very immersive. I have seen the animated and the 3D is also good. Avatar counts as animated? or half and half? lol
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver View Post
Kind of reminds me of being a comic book reader trying to convince people to give them a try. Doesn't matter how adult or sophisticated the material is, a lot of people who read "real" books simply can't accept that comics can not only be worthwhile, but that they can tell stories in ways completely unique to the medium. The best thing is to read both comics and "real" books, of course, so you get the best of both worlds.

Interesting comparisons to be drawn there from comic books:"real" books, 3D:2D, and animation:live action. The first in each has an unfair interpretation of being "childish" in some way, that the aficionado of each prefers spectacle over substance.
Good point. Video games were also seen as a geeky hobby years ago, but now it's mainstream, just as 3D will be in the foreseeable future I imagine once 3D goes "glasses free". By 8 years hopefully.

I remember in an interview for Batman (1989 I think), the writer (Sam Hamm? I forget) asked his professor what he thought of comics, and the professor scoffed at them as though they are inferior. Then he told the professor something like "What do you think about the story of a baby taken in by two elderly people, and then the baby ends up saving the world?" And the professor said it was a good story, what was it from? The writer said "Superman, the comic". The professor then approved the writer as a teacher of comics at the college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
Funnily enough, in my own opinion, the two best animations are conversions. Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Just seems to work better with the medium, or perhaps more effort or a different technique was used.

I'm yet to watch Titanic. The trailer in the theatre was really amazing though. Looked almost native to my dodgy eyes.
Yes to Beauty and the Beast 3D looking great. Titanic's conversion had strong 3D most of the way, except a few shots near the end mostly. Well worth 14.99 at Best Buy and online for the 3D example of one of the best live action conversions around, and what is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctum3D View Post
I prefer live action.. I really enjoyed the 3D in Sanctum, it was very immersive. I have seen the animated and the 3D is also good. Avatar counts as animated? or half and half? lol
I think Cameron intends it to look realistic, but the deep blue tones make them look a little less convincing and more cartoony, despite how real they move and act.

Some of the best animated examples also include Open Season 3D, Madagascar 3D, Sammy Turtle 3D, etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #26

Oct 2012

Quote:
but the two live actions that have the best 3D (Avatar and Hugo) are way better than any animation.
Kind of a weird comment to make about Avatar, considering that not only the Na'vi but the entire environment around them was entirely animated. Are you saying you thought the 3D scenes inside the human base were way better than all the scenes outside?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
I rarely watch animations. Just not a fan.

But 9/10 times the 3D in an animated film is better than that in a live action. All conversions look below the bar to me (John Carter, Avengers, etc.), but the two live actions that have the best 3D (Avatar and Hugo) are way better than any animation.

There's nothing wrong with your eye's,Titanic look's great in 3D,it doesn't look like a conversion at all.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Kind of a weird comment to make about Avatar, considering that not only the Na'vi but the entire environment around them was entirely animated. Are you saying you thought the 3D scenes inside the human base were way better than all the scenes outside?
If we're going with Avatar being animated, then I take it back. There is a lot of real elements in it, but not much that isn't in front of a green screen or touched up in some way...
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I know what you're saying. Like the Imax documentaries in particular. They can really take you where ever it is they want to take you, and make you feel almost as if you are there.

I do really like the highly detailed 3D cartoon worlds too though. It's a place I can really let my imagination go, and just get lost in it for a time. I was kind of thinking about that as I was watching Wreck It Ralph at the theater. Kind of hard for me to believe I'm 41 years old now, and going to a movie like that alone and being so completely absorbed in the story as I was. "Shrugs" Maybe I'm still really just a kid...
Dude, that sounded like me watching Madagascar 3!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies