Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Oliver & Company (Blu-ray)
$11.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #181

Jan 2011

Phoebe Cates' poolside bikini scene alone is the reason worth owning this movie.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #182
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Canada

I picked this up and I think it looks great. I was kinda shocked though as I was used to watching the TBS version when younger and we all know how edited that was. I don't think I've ever seen the unedited version before now but yeah it's a great movie.

It made me want Caddyshack to be released as a stand alone blu ray.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #183
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
I picked this up and I think it looks great. I was kinda shocked though as I was used to watching the TBS version when younger and we all know how edited that was. I don't think I've ever seen the unedited version before now but yeah it's a great movie.

Um, Caddyshack is already out on blu-ray. The standalone release came out like 3 years ago..
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #184
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Lots of nostalgia for this movie from my teenage years. I should pick it up sometime. Worth the price of admission just for the soundtrack alone.

It's funny to think of it today, but the Phoebe Cates poolside scene was always screwed up on rental VHS tapes back in the day, because so many people paused the tapes during that scene when renting the movie. I'm not necessarily saying that I personally contributed to this problem, but just that it was an issue with the VHS tapes back then from rental places.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 03-15-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #185
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Um, Caddyshack is already out on blu-ray. The standalone release came out like 3 years ago..
Oh, I checked bluray.com and it only showed the triple pack for Canada but I checked Amazon.ca and it does have it. My bad.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #186
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post

and THATS what they messed up and didn't add, the TV version. there is scenes that are not in the theatre / BD/ DVD version. Its NEVER been put on a consumer release

this is actually in my top 5 fav films of all time
BD PLAYER (REGION A) : Panasonic DMP-BD85K
BD PLAYER (REGION FREE) : Insignia NS-BRDVD4
HDTV : Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TC-P50S2

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 25-MAR-2014 **
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #187

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
and THATS what they messed up and didn't add, the TV version. there is scenes that are not in the theatre / BD/ DVD version. Its NEVER been put on a consumer release

this is actually in my top 5 fav films of all time
Director Amy Heckerling has publicly stated that she strongly dislikes the extra TV footage. She cut that from the feature film and it was edited back into the film, without her consent or participation, by Universal in-house editors for the television version (prepared that way in order to fit television time slot requirements and to make up for other footage that had to be cut due to content issues).

Also, the extra scenes most likely do not exist anymore in a condition that would make them suitable to be edited back into the film, as the original negatives for these trims were junked by Uni back in the early to mid-'80s. I'd like to see them as a supplement, but I have a feeling as long as the director doesn't want them on disc, they won't appear on disc. The movie still runs quite often on basic cable, with those scenes intact, so it's quite easy to make a nice recording of them and they'd probably look as nearly good as they would if Uni slapped them on a DVD or Blu.
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #188
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

There are definitely some scenes on the tv version that needs to be on blu. They edited it so much they had to add scenes.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/f...mont_high.html

I found the original script here. The the Stu Nahan scene was originally a Merv Griffin Scene.

DARKNESS

We are in the middle of a deep, dark void. After a
moment, a pinprick of light appears in the
distance. We head towards the light. We are being
led somewhere important.

As we draw still closer, curtains suddenly part to
reveal a wildly cheering studio audience. We hear
the voice of Merv Griffin.

MERV GRIFFIN (O.S.)
Will you please give a warm welcome
to... Jeff Spicoli!

The Merv Griffin Show band begins playing a Merv
Griffin Show version of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell".
Someone hands Jeff Spicoli a microphone. He works
the studio audience into a frenzy as he sings the
words to "Highway to Hell": Merv Griffin show
style.

SPICOLI
(singing)
'Layin' ladies!
Drinkin' wine!
You gotta dollar --
You're a friend of mine!
Gettin' loose!
Feelin' fine!
You and me -- It's get down time!
We're on the Highway to Hell!
The Highway to Hell!'

Spicoli finishes up with a spectular pump. The
audience goes wild as Merv Griffin greets him
warmly, and guides Spicoli to his seat. Spicoli
motions for the cheers to die down. Griffin is
obviously happy to see him. He touches Spicoli's
arm lightly.

GRIFFIN
How've you been?

SPICOLI
Outrageous, Merv. Nice to be here.
I feel great.

GRIFFIN
I was going to say... your eyes
look a little red.

SPICOLI
I've been swimming, Merv.

The audience howls. It's a famous Spicoli line.

SPICOLI (CONT'D)
Seriously, Merv, everything is
great.
I was thinking about picking up
some hash this weekend, maybe going
up to the mountains.

GRIFFIN
(concerned)
I wanted to talk a little bit about
school, if I could...

SPICOLI
School.
(sighs)
School is no problem. All you have
to do is go to get the grades. And
if you know something, all you have
to do is go about half the time.

GRIFFIN
How often do you go?

SPICOLI
I don't go at all.

The audience is howling again. He is Merv's
favorite guest.

GRIFFIN
I hear you brought a film clip with
you. Do you want to set it up for
us?

SPICOLI
Well, it pretty much speaks for
itself. Peter, you want to run with
it?

EXT. A MASSIVE WAVE - DAY

The film clip begins. It is a mammoth wave cresting
against the blue sky.

SPICOLI (V.O.)
Merv, this is the action down at
Sunset Cliffs at about six in the
morning.

GRIFFIN (V.O.)
Fascinating.

A tiny figure appears at the foot of the wave.

GRIFFIN (CONT'D)
Who's that?

SPICOLI
That's me, Merv.

The audience gasps.

GRIFFIN (V.O.)
Are you going to ride that wave?

SPICOLI
Totally.

We watch as Spicoli catches the perfect wave, and
it hurtles him through a turquoise tube of water.

GRIFFIN
What's going through your mind
right here, Jeff? The danger of it
all?

SPICOLI
Merv, I'm thinking... I've only got
about four good hours of surfing
left before these little clowns
from junior high start showing up
with their boogie boards.

The audience is howling once again... when suddenly
we hear the loud noise of a door opening, followed
by a shrill voice. It is Spicoli's eight-year-old
brother, Curtis.

Jeff Spicoli's dream of glory evaporates.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #189
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

I am very late to this game lol but is this Blu-ray edited down in any way or is it as it should be? I thought I read it was edited down but why if so, so please let me know, I am sure a lot of members here have this and I need to add it lol.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #190
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
I am very late to this game lol but is this Blu-ray edited down in any way or is it as it should be? I thought I read it was edited down but why if so, so please let me know, I am sure a lot of members here have this and I need to add it lol.

Thanks
It's not edited down, it's the original R rated theatrical release with its original soundtrack

There are a number of excellent, character driven scenes in the TV version that have never been released on video as others have mentioned. While Amy Heckerling says she didn't like them (of course she's also said she dislikes the movie's soundtrack too), Cameron Crowe, the writer, was disappointed they were removed and has said he's tried to put them back in. I guess Heckerling, because she directed the film, has final say, but that's unfortunate because she's flat out wrong that those scenes don't add anything. Crowe disagrees with her and in this case he's right.

Frankly I don't understand why they were cut. They're not filler -- they actually add development to the characters in a movie that's cut real tight at 90 minutes and, if anything, could use more scenes that flesh out the kids so they're not just stereotypes. IMO, in particular, the scene at the end (in the TV version) with Ratner and Damone was really good, and never should've been taken out. Makes no sense as to why it was excised other than Universal wanted the movie done-and-over-with at 90 minutes. It's the sole criticism I have with the film...those scenes would improve the film, not take away from it.

Last edited by DMRI2006; 08-20-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #191
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
It's not edited down, it's the original R rated theatrical release with its original soundtrack

There are a number of excellent, character driven scenes in the TV version that have never been released on video as others have mentioned. While Amy Heckerling says she didn't like them (of course she's also said she dislikes the movie's soundtrack too), Cameron Crowe, the writer, was disappointed they were removed and has said he's tried to put them back in.

Frankly I don't understand why they were cut. They're not filler -- they actually add development to the characters in a movie that's cut real tight at 90 minutes and, if anything, could use more scenes that flesh out the kids so they're not just stereotypes. IMO, in particular, the scene at the end (in the TV version) with Ratner and Damone was really good, and never should've been taken out. Makes no sense as to why it was excised other than Universal wanted the movie done-and-over-with at 90 minutes. It's the sole criticism I have with the film...those scenes would improve the film, not take away from it.
At the very least, they ought to be on the disc. Studios seem to have a terrible track record at including scenes people have seen in TV versions.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #192

May 2010
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

"Mister, if you don't shut up, I'm gonna kick one-hundred percent of your a**!"
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #193
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post

There are a number of excellent, character driven scenes in the TV version that have never been released on video as others have mentioned. While Amy Heckerling says she didn't like them (of course she's also said she dislikes the movie's soundtrack too), Cameron Crowe, the writer, was disappointed they were removed and has said he's tried to put them back in. I guess Heckerling, because she directed the film, has final say, but that's unfortunate because she's flat out wrong that those scenes don't add anything. Crowe disagrees with her and in this case he's right.

Thank you for the response, now I can order with confidence lol, damn it is to bad we couldn't find this footage, I would love to add it back in myself.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #194
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
At the very least, they ought to be on the disc. Studios seem to have a terrible track record at including scenes people have seen in TV versions.
I agree 100%. So many blu-ray releases are missing the tv cut footage, which is a shame. Would it kill the studios to just include the tv scenes as an extra? Do they not realize that as fans many of us have seen the footage on tv ourselves, so we know it exists?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #195
Special Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

The further we advance in technology the cheaper the companies get.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #196

Aug 2013

A week ago at Fye I picked up Fast Times at Ridgemont High for $7.00 but it was the BD/DVD version (without the Digital Copy), the UPC doesn't match any of the other versions. I haven't seen listed anywhere. I don't know if its Canadian? It does have a date of 2012.
Maybe someone knows something more about it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America