Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.96
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The X-Files: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Outlaw: Gangster VIP Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The X-Files: The Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$198.90
Dope (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Bride of Re-Animator (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #641
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklandsboy View Post
Goldsmith's score is easily - easily - superior to the Tangerine Dream score in so far as it fits the movie seamlessly, enhances the drama/characters, adds a feeling of scope that the movie lacks and just generally sells the experience. Plus is amazing music, one of the composer's very best. One of his own favourites too. Ridley Scott agreed, and favoured it for his director's cut, but sadly didn't defend it when Universal wanted it replaced.

Tangerine Dream's just sits there, rather uncomfortably. It's not very good. It isn't even in the top 5 TD scores IMHO. The waltz is particularly uncomfortable - since the dance was originally choreographed to the Goldsmith cue (recorded pre-filming).

I understand that those who grew up with the TD score may be more accustomed to it, and may genuinely prefer it, but the romantic/fantasy/orchestral approach was correct for this movie.
I saw the film for the first time last year, and watched both versions back to back. I preferred the TD score in a big way, the Goldsmith one seemed over-done somehow. I am not a synth fanatic by any stretch of the imagination, either, I definitely worship at the altar of John Williams/John Barry and like some of Goldsmith's other scores (he is one of my least-favorite of the big composers, though), but it just seemed like too much here. The dance scene in particular seemed way too busy, the music was actively distracting from what went on. Now, I WAS listening to the music closely because I'd read beforehand that this was one of the great lost scores of all time or something, so it might have been less annoying if I hadn't been focusing attention on it and didn't have raised expectations, but it really didn't seem like anything special to me. When it comes to 80s orchestral fantasy scores, give me Conan the Barbarian or Dragonslayer or even frickin Willow or The Dark Crystal any day!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #642
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

I like both versions of the film. The US cut though severely cutting the plot/backstory down does have a somewhat hypnotic mid-80's music video quality to it, which I'd attribute to the Tangerine Dream score.

The longer version has a great traditional Goldsmith orchestral score and helps make the plot a little more easier to follow. I think this is one film that has multiple cuts that I actually would watch both of the cuts. When it comes to something like Blade Runner I just want to watch the Final Cut, and with the Star Wars OT....just gotta drag out my 20 year old VHS tapes out.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #643
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

I mostly thought the director's cut was better apart from the score, but I like that gruesome opening on the theatrical cut.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #644
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I saw the film for the first time last year, and watched both versions back to back. I preferred the TD score in a big way, the Goldsmith one seemed over-done somehow. I am not a synth fanatic by any stretch of the imagination, either, I definitely worship at the altar of John Williams/John Barry and like some of Goldsmith's other scores (he is one of my least-favorite of the big composers, though), but it just seemed like too much here. The dance scene in particular seemed way too busy, the music was actively distracting from what went on. Now, I WAS listening to the music closely because I'd read beforehand that this was one of the great lost scores of all time or something, so it might have been less annoying if I hadn't been focusing attention on it and didn't have raised expectations, but it really didn't seem like anything special to me. When it comes to 80s orchestral fantasy scores, give me Conan the Barbarian or Dragonslayer or even frickin Willow or The Dark Crystal any day!
don't forget Laurence Rosenthal's soundtrack to 'Clash of the Titans' (1981)

Trevor Jones' 'Dark Crystal' score is just epic - I played the vinyl to death.

Speaking of which was the alternate score by Vangelis for 'The Dark Crystal' cinematic legend or did he actually compose all (or some) of it?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #645
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

I dunno, I've never really looked at any behind-the-scenes stuff about The Dark Crystal before apart from all the Brian Froud conceptual art. I never heard anything about the score.

Clash of the Titans does have a pretty good one, I forgot about that. It's been a longggg time since I watched that one.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #646
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I dunno, I've never really looked at any behind-the-scenes stuff about The Dark Crystal before apart from all the Brian Froud conceptual art. I never heard anything about the score.

Clash of the Titans does have a pretty good one, I forgot about that.
It's been a longggg time since I watched that one.
I have that soundtrack on vinyl and it is indeed awesome.
"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #647
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I have that soundtrack on vinyl and it is indeed awesome.
Yep, the Titans soundtrack definitely elevates the film to a whole other level.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #648
Special Member

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasmaskAvenger View Post
I would happily exchange all of those boring Hans Zimmer derivatives for more rockin' electronic scores.
Can we apply this to all modern movies please? lol.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #649
Special Member

Apr 2015
The Netherlands

The Tangerine Dream soundtrack is great, but it doesn't fit the movie at all. Goldsmith's score is far superior.
Top 10: (1) Blade Runner (2) Aliens (3) The Thing '82 (4) The Shining (5) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (6) My Neigbor Totoro (7) Monty Python and The Holy Grail (8) Evil Dead 2 (9) Stalker (10) Avalon
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America