Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
The Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$599.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$74.96
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Pioneers of African American Cinema (Blu-ray)
$63.29
The Nice Guys (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$11.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #1821

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric T Sealion View Post
Is there a problem with the documentary 2001: The Making of a Myth on this disc? 4 minutes and 28 seconds in, material has very clearly been cut out. The jump is very noticeable! Is this a known problem?
Anyone?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #1822

Jan 2014

Quote:
Is there a problem with the documentary 2001: The Making of a Myth on this disc? 4 minutes and 28 seconds in, material has very clearly been cut out. The jump is very noticeable! Is this a known problem?
Yeah, I just watched it and noticed it too - seems like Cameron's narration was cut off toward the end of a sentence.
Thanks given by:
Cedric T Sealion (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #1823

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Patient View Post
Yeah, I just watched it and noticed it too - seems like Cameron's narration was cut off toward the end of a sentence.
Do you have the region A or the region B release? Mine is region B, I am in the UK.

Somebody uploaded the documentary to YouTube back in Nov 2013. The version on YouTube also has the issue.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #1824

Jan 2014

Quote:
Do you have the region A or the region B release? Mine is region B, I am in the UK.

Somebody uploaded the documentary to YouTube back in Nov 2013. The version on YouTube also has the issue.
I have region A. Strange - seems like it's just a few seconds of footage and narration that's missing, but there's no way to tell for sure.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #1825

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Patient View Post
I have region A. Strange - seems like it's just a few seconds of footage and narration that's missing, but there's no way to tell for sure.
I'm very surprised that no one seems to have noticed it before. It's so noticeable!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #1826
Suspended

Oct 2012

2001 will be playing at Harkins Theaters on 9/20/16 in five states. This is good news for those who want to see it on the big screen. Check the link below for details.
http://www.harkinstheatres.com/theat...?movieId=82689
Old 06-11-2016, 02:15 AM   #1827
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Next Tuesday the movie is being shown mid morning as part of the Avalon theatre's 'Adventures in Space: Exploring the Cosmos in Sci-fi Cinema' series here in Washibgton DC
Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #1828
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
The coast.

Stanley Kubrick & ‘2001’: Over Budget and Behind Schedule — but a Radical Classic.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/st...ey-1201822511/
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #1829
Power Member

Oct 2010
The Milky Way

Took another spin last night of the blu-ray and also took out the DVD set that came with the soundtrack as well as a "Senitype" which is an "... art graphic produced from a single frame of 70 millimetre motion picture film that includes one frame of the corresponding film footage. The artwork began with the careful selection of a single frame of film that was digitally scanned and expertly reproduced onto art paper using state-of-the-art imaging and printing techniques. The film footage is an actual 70 millimetre film frame reproduced from the original motion picture film by authorised technicians."

Everybody got that? After all this time I never really had a good look at it and exam it. I did last night.

The aspect ratio of the frame is something along the lines of 2.55 while the blu-ray is 2.2, and checking out the identical scene I noticed the the blu-ray is missing a significant area along the left and right sides.

So is there a reason as to why this is so? I guess what Im really asking is why didn't we get the film as presented on the 70mm film?
It's only a movie.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #1830
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
Took another spin last night of the blu-ray and also took out the DVD set that came with the soundtrack as well as a "Senitype" which is an "... art graphic produced from a single frame of 70 millimetre motion picture film that includes one frame of the corresponding film footage. The artwork began with the careful selection of a single frame of film that was digitally scanned and expertly reproduced onto art paper using state-of-the-art imaging and printing techniques. The film footage is an actual 70 millimetre film frame reproduced from the original motion picture film by authorised technicians."

Everybody got that? After all this time I never really had a good look at it and exam it. I did last night.

The aspect ratio of the frame is something along the lines of 2.55 while the blu-ray is 2.2, and checking out the identical scene I noticed the the blu-ray is missing a significant area along the left and right sides.

So is there a reason as to why this is so? I guess what Im really asking is why didn't we get the film as presented on the 70mm film?
There are a great many issues with this master
Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #1831
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
2001 will be playing at Harkins Theaters on 9/20/16 in five states. This is good news for those who want to see it on the big screen. Check the link below for details.
My theater is in there. I would love to see this on the big screen but if they just use the Blu-ray then no thanks. I had an opportunity to catch this in 70mm earlier this year and regrettably passed (the screen wasn't that big and the sound had problems). Would love to see a new 4K remaster in the theater or catch another 70mm screening, the latter seemingly happens often. More than anything though I'd love to see Warner get off their ass and put out newly remastered Blu-rays of their Kubrick films.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #1832
Power Member

Oct 2008
Lake Forest, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
My theater is in there. I would love to see this on the big screen but if they just use the Blu-ray then no thanks. I had an opportunity to catch this in 70mm earlier this year and regrettably passed (the screen wasn't that big and the sound had problems). Would love to see a new 4K remaster in the theater or catch another 70mm screening, the latter seemingly happens often. More than anything though I'd love to see Warner get off their ass and put out newly remastered Blu-rays of their Kubrick films.
I'd love to see a UHD Blu-ray of this movie. 2001 has traditionally been one of the first movies, if not the first movie, that I buy when I adopt a new format (VHS, LD, DVD, & BD so far).

"There has been an awakening..."
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #1833
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

the Smithsonian's Air & Space Lockheed Martin IMAX theater recently showed the DCP of this - I can't say, having seen it in less than perfect form (I'd much more prefer to see it in 70mm) I didn't bother seeing it again.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #1834
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:

2.20:1 is the correct aspect ratio for 2001 which was shot in the Todd-AO or Super Panavision 70 process. The original 65mm negative would've exposed an image area (2.072" x 0.906") with an aspect ratio of 2.29:1 (not 2.55:1), somewhat larger than what was intended for projection (1.912" x 0.870"). The slightly smaller image height of the projection aperture was intended to hide splices while the presence of the six magnetic audio tracks (3 & 6 specifically) on either side of the printed 70mm film frame narrowed the projected area width to an intended ratio of 2.20:1.

Here's a visual example of what I mean:

Thanks given by:
Grand Bob (08-03-2016), IronWaffle (07-29-2016), mikesncc1701 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #1835
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
I've still got that one too, in a very solid silver box with the classic "docking" photo on the front. I can't bring myself to dispose of it, even though I haven't watched it for a long time because its DVD is PAL -- I've always been able to hear the pitch speed-up, but it's only since I started watching BDs that I realised just how mangled the audio pitch really is. And once you hear it clearly there's just no going back.

I'd so much love to see a re-scanned, re-mastered Blu re-release of this, more than any other film I can bring to mind.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #1836
Special Member

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Quote:

Was lucky to catch it twice this year on the big screen. I caught the 70mm showing but it was an old beat-up print. It was still worth it though. It was treated with respect as far as presenting the intermission correctly. The theater it played in was originally built to show 70mm, so no problem there. The DCP showing played at Cinemark, so I am sure that the one playing at the Harkins theater is also the DCP. The intermission on that one is only a few minutes so do not try to go to the bathroom as you will miss the beginning of part 2.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #1837
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I've still got that one too, in a very solid silver box with the classic "docking" photo on the front. I can't bring myself to dispose of it, even though I haven't watched it for a long time because its DVD is PAL -- I've always been able to hear the pitch speed-up, but it's only since I started watching BDs that I realised just how mangled the audio pitch really is. And once you hear it clearly there's just no going back.

I'd so much love to see a re-scanned, re-mastered Blu re-release of this, more than any other film I can bring to mind.
Heh. Sold mine ages ago when it was worth a fair bit!
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #1838
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Heh. Sold mine ages ago when it was worth a fair bit!
"Pro-active" has never been a label that would stick readily to me.
"Sentimental", on the other hand ...
Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #1839
Power Member

Oct 2010
The Milky Way

Quote:
But wasn't everyone raving what a great transfer we got when the film was originally released on blu-ray?
It's only a movie.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #1840
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Isla Nublar

Quote:
But wasn't everyone raving what a great transfer we got when the film was originally released on blu-ray?
Opinions of the quality of a Blu-ray disc can change a lot, especially when the disc is 9 years old.
"She came along the alley and up the back steps the way she always used to. Doc hadn't seen her for over a year. Nobody had. Back then it was always sandals, bottom half of a flower-print bikini, faded Country Joe & the Fish t-shirt. Tonight she was all in flatland gear, hair a lot shorter than he remembered, looking just like she swore she'd never look."

- Sortilège
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America