Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Mission: Impossible The 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$93.22
Glengarry Glen Ross (Blu-ray)
$4.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #8081
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
Anyone know if Lost World got a new transfer? Out of the three it looks the best and the biggest improvement over the DVD
I think it did, yes. It looks far too good to be some old off-the-shelf master that Universal had lying around, which is such a shame because it's pretty darned poor as a movie. As Velvet always says: there ain't no justice in the world.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #8082
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

Yeah TLW is definitely the best looking of the three on BD. You can easily tell that 1 & 3 use the same masters that were used for the DVD's but TLW I'm not sure what master they used because all I know is that it looks quite different from the DVD.
Normal is boring
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #8083
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I think it did, yes. It looks far too good to be some old off-the-shelf master that Universal had lying around, which is such a shame because it's pretty darned poor as a movie. As Velvet always says: there ain't no justice in the world.
Bah, The Lost World is the best of the sequels (I know I know, you could easily make some snarky comment about its competition ), and not even that far below the first film.
Thanks given by:
Stark (07-07-2016), UltraMario9 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #8084
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I dunno about the movie as a whole but that part where the music ramps up and Roland walks away making fun of pansies, or the great part with the music and the DON'T GO INTO THE HIGH GRASS, are worth owning the disc for.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #8085
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

I actually quite like the San Diego part of the film. It's a clear homage to classic monster films and that Arnold Schwarzenegger King Lear poster is hilarious.
Normal is boring
Thanks given by:
UltraMario9 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #8086
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'll give you the double Rex attack on the trailer, I love the music in that scene.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #8087
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

Quote:
I'll give you the double Rex attack on the trailer, I love the music in that scene.
Eddie's death is brutal. The guy didn't deserve to die.
Normal is boring
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #8088
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I love the whole score, I think it's a big reason I find the movie more fun than a lot of others do. It's weird how totally flawed it is as a film though, considering the name on the bottom of the poster.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #8089
Expert Member

Jun 2015

The Lost World looks incredible on Blu-ray, and I remember back when the trilogy set first came out, The Lost World was said to look the worst out of the three because apparently it was soft and therefore DNR'd with weak colors.

When I bought it and watched it, I was very surprised at how good it looked. The soft look is intentional as most of Spielberg's latest have a similar look, the grain is still there and looks natural, and the somewhat muted colors are intentional and Spielberg has been using the bleach-bypassed look for the past twenty years or so.

I see so many comments asking for remasters of The Lost World and War of the Worlds, and I'm just like "Why?"
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #8090
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
The Lost World looks incredible on Blu-ray, and I remember back when the trilogy set first came out, The Lost World was said to look the worst out of the three because apparently it was soft and therefore DNR'd with weak colors.

When I bought it and watched it, I was very surprised at how good it looked. The soft look is intentional as most of Spielberg's latest have a similar look, the grain is still there and looks natural, and the somewhat muted colors are intentional and Spielberg has been using the bleach-bypassed look for the past twenty years or so.

I see so many comments asking for remasters of The Lost World and War of the Worlds, and I'm just like "Why?"
Reviewers loved edge-enhancement and DNR back then. Read reviews for stuff like The Mummy and Basic Instinct. Will knock you on your ass. Buyers unfortunately feel roughly the same way in large, and when you tell them it's supposed to look soft or grainy they tell you they might as well watch a DVD.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #8091
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-
-

The Lost World is great just for the fact that it has Pete Postlethwaite. That man was an incredible actor and he did an amazing job with Roland.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (07-07-2016), UltraMario9 (07-07-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #8092

Apr 2014

so has it been decided that the color palette of the 3D version is closer to the theatrical version?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:43 AM   #8093

Nov 2013
Duluth, MN

TLW has the best atmosphere and dinosaur action, but some of the worst-written characters. Sarah Harding was SO AWESOME in the novel, and she's SUCH a moron in the movie. I really wish they had at least attempted to adapt the novel.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 AM   #8094
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post

Yep, it's very much got that 'modern Spielberg' appearance that came along when Janusz Kaminski did, e.g. the obvious use of diffusion and other filters to give it a softer, dreamier look. I'm amazed by how good Lost World looks quite frankly, it's hard to believe that it's a Universal catalogue joint.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #8095
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
so has it been decided that the color palette of the 3D version is closer to the theatrical version?
Not really, the negs are roughly between the two existing transfers to my memory. It's commonly accepted the 3D transfer is too warm, but the 2D one is too cool. Neither is perfect, the 3D has DNR and such too, but the 2D is sharpened and whatnot. Pick your poison.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #8096
Special Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
TLW has the best atmosphere and dinosaur action, but some of the worst-written characters. Sarah Harding was SO AWESOME in the novel, and she's SUCH a moron in the movie. I really wish they had at least attempted to adapt the novel.
On this subject, I read the Jurassic Park novels every summer (a tradition that happened a few years ago and I just stuck with it ) and ever since I read The Lost World, I definitely looked at the Lost World movie a bit... less favorably. I still LIKE the movie, don't get me wrong, it's just that the book is so much better. What I really don't understand is why they bothered to get Michael Crichton to write a sequel, and then make the movie completely different lol.

On the flip-side, reading the books made me see JPIII in a much better light! I never had a problem with that movie in the first place, but it seems like a lot of stuff from the books made it into that movie (aviary attack, exploring the facility, river attack).

My hope is that now that more Jurassic movies are being made, some stuff from TLW book will make it into a future movie.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #8097
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

I read The Lost World before seeing it in theaters, so I was surprised by how different it was. Still, my only gripe with The Lost World is the gymnastics scene.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #8098

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
I read The Lost World before seeing it in theaters, so I was surprised by how different it was. Still, my only gripe with The Lost World is the gymnastics scene.
That scene only lasted a few seconds. What's the big deal?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #8099
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
That scene only lasted a few seconds. What's the big deal?
What does length have to do with it if it's super silly and stupid and takes you out of the movie? That scene is well known as a travesty for a reason. I don't think the movie is anywhere near perfect otherwise, but that scene is certainly the worst thing in it.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #8100
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
What does length have to do with it if it's super silly and stupid and takes you out of the movie? That scene is well known as a travesty for a reason. I don't think the movie is anywhere near perfect otherwise, but that scene is certainly the worst thing in it.
"Travesty" is the perfect way to characterize that scene. It takes me out every single time. I don't know in what world Spielberg thought that was a good idea.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America