Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

May 2008
Default Anyone watchin 3D on a professionally calibrated HDTV?

I'm having best buy come out to calibrate my Panasonic VT50 and I'm looking forward to it. They are doing it for free as part of the benefits of the premium silver reward zone status. But I'm wonder if anyone here have had their set done and did it make a big difference? Was the 3D even better and do you feel it's worth the calibration?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #2

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
I'm having best buy come out to calibrate my Panasonic VT50 and I'm looking forward to it. They are doing it for free as part of the benefits of the premium silver reward zone status. But I'm wonder if anyone here have had their set done and did it make a big difference? Was the 3D even better and do you feel it's worth the calibration?
Hello, I have a 55" Samsung, and while mine was not calibrated professionally, I do watch a lot of 3D on it. I found that I was able to get very close TV calibrations by professionals and enthusiasts at avsforum.com on my tv's thread

Plugging in settings won't be perfect, as every set is different, but you would be pleasantly suprised at how close you can come to a GREAT calibration yourself

Also, there are a lot of good, local guys that you can find on that site who will come calibrate your set if you are a stickler about having 100% accurate results. I would never trust Best Buy to come calibrate my set, as they would probably just be using a standard WOW or Munsil and Spears calibration disc and eyeballing it. That I could do myself. Most of them are just average joe's who just give it a good ol' college try without using any real instruments or know how

Also, be aware that 3D mode usually has settings of its own that are separate from 2D viewing on most TV's. I don't know of many pro's who actually calibrate in this mode, as you would have to be wearing glasses while eyeballing color accuracy etc. through the darker lens, rendering the use of instruments useless as well to some degree and hampering accuracy (which is the point of a pro calibration). Most people leave 3D mode as is except perhaps a slight tweaking of the backlight and/or contrast

Just my 2cents from a home theatre enthusiast. Hope it helps

-Mike
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #3

Oct 2011

Eventhough I'm a BB silver reward zone member also.. I would not let a best buy geek squad kid anywhere near my TV. In all seriousness though, The only reason i can think of to take advantage of the free cal is to have them unlock the ISF day and night modes on your VT50. I had a VT50 for a few months and can tell you that the THX modes out of the box are actually not far off from a ISF calibration. Also, from my understanding very few ISF calibrators will even touch 3D mode. I know my father had his VT30 ISF calibrated from one of th most sought after calibrators in the nation and was recommended to view 3D in ISF day mode for best results regardless of day or night.

Last edited by Briscoe1019; 12-21-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Mispell
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

We don't have any store's at home but what I have read on many a thread here I don't believe Best Buy and professionally calibrated are word's that go together.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2012

I trust my eyes...

though my 3D 42 inch set only cost $400.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

Uncalibrated 51 Samsung plasma here, I'm entitled to a free calibration from Best Buy but really don't think I want it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

May 2008

LOL @ the lack of love for Best buy.

I agree, most of the guys on their floor lack real knowledge. But they do have some calibration sets on demo that looks pretty good.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jul 2010

I'm watching 3D on a 65VT50 that was calibrated this summer by Jeff from Accucal.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Special Member

May 2010

I'm happy with the job they did on mine. The tech that did it knew what he was doing.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Both my projector and plasma are calibrated. I've always noticed a difference since I had an older set calibrated many years ago.

I say if you have the money (or get it thrown in as a bundle) then go for it.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe1019 View Post
Eventhough I'm a BB silver reward zone member also.. I would not let a best buy geek squad kid anywhere near my TV. In all seriousness though, The only reason i can think of to take advantage of the free cal is to have them unlock the ISF day and night modes on your VT50. I had a VT50 for a few months and can tell you that the THX modes out of the box are actually not far off from a ISF calibration. Also, from my understanding very few ISF calibrators will even touch 3D mode. I know my father had his VT30 ISF calibrated from one of th most sought after calibrators in the nation and was recommended to view 3D in ISF day mode for best results regardless of day or night.
Completely agree. My projector is THX excellent right out of the box. The professional installer/calibrator who did everything said there was basically nothing he had to do seeing how close it was. Anytime anyone can get a set up with THX, I highly recommend it.

Best Buy is only good for 2 things. Buying movies and for frustration while shopping there.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff

Last edited by koover; 12-22-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #12

Dec 2007

I had a calibrator come out to my house (he used to be under the ISF banner, but now he actually works and teaches calibration under the THX banner, pretty cool). I have a 70" sharp elite and it looks fantastic after calibration. He also put a pair of my 3D glasses on his meter and performed a 3D calibration. He basically said that the more light your TV is able to output, the better the chances of having a great 3D experience is. Makes sense, as most 3D glasses have dark lenses similar to sunglasses that cut down light output dramatically. If you can find a professional calibrator in your area, and spend the $200 to $300 to have your TV calibrated, chances are you will be happy with the end result.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Power Member

Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-78

I had geek squad calibrate my tv a few months after i had bought it. And, well they did an ok job, but i didnt really like it too much so i obtained a calibration disc and through endless trial and error, and service menu tweaks i found that nice look that i wanted.
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Hyper3D 1000 HDMI x 3
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x 5

FOR TRADE:Pan's Labyrinth Canadian Steelbook sealed/PM me if interested.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies