Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #781
Expert Member

Jan 2013

I own the separate parts 1 & 2, as well as the deluxe seamlessly combined version ($10 at Best Buy a couple weeks ago), so this film has gotten my financial support all the way.

I've yet to watch the deluxe version and the Frank Miller doc. Looking forward to seeing it when I get to it.

Hope to see adaptations of The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween, or something else similar in quality.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #782

Nov 2012

Is this region free anyone?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #783
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
I own the separate parts 1 & 2, as well as the deluxe seamlessly combined version ($10 at Best Buy a couple weeks ago), so this film has gotten my financial support all the way.

I've yet to watch the deluxe version and the Frank Miller doc. Looking forward to seeing it when I get to it.

Hope to see adaptations of The Killing Joke or The Long Halloween, or something else similar in quality.
I doubt they ever make The Killing Joke, the potential rating would scare them off. The Long Halloween on the other hand...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #784
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash_black View Post
Is this region free anyone?
Yes, like every animated DC feature on Blu-ray.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #785

Oct 2009
nYc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
i wont get this until its free, and i hope they continue to make more films!!!
meh.

mock me if you want but I have over 600 BDs and an average paid price of $7.18...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #786
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I doubt they ever make The Killing Joke, the potential rating would scare them off. The Long Halloween on the other hand...
I thought this, as well, until they did DKR and really didn't hold back on the violence. They're really earning their PG-13 rating with adaptations like this one, rather than just throwing in a bit of semi-harsh language here and there. Which makes me believe that they could pull off Killing Joke. And since it's such a quick read, they could do it without having to condense it at all. They wouldn't even have to storyboard it. Bolland's panels are already laid out like storyboards, complete with transitions.

Quote:
Yes, like every animated DC feature on Blu-ray.
And pretty much every Warner Brothers BD release, in general.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #787
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
I thought this, as well, until they did DKR and really didn't hold back on the violence. They're really earning their PG-13 rating with adaptations like this one, rather than just throwing in a bit of semi-harsh language here and there. Which makes me believe that they could pull off Killing Joke. And since it's such a quick read, they could do it without having to condense it at all. They wouldn't even have to storyboard it. Bolland's panels are already laid out like storyboards, complete with transitions.
Violent rape is a bridge too far, methinks.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #788

Oct 2008

Quote:
Well, considering the comic only alludes to it, I don't think it would be very difficult to omit such a thing.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #789
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by radewagon View Post
Well, considering the comic only alludes to it, I don't think it would be very difficult to omit such a thing.

You dont have to have the Gordon torture to tell the story, but im sick of these 70 minute compressed stories.

Omit the children pandering and give me the real story.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #790
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
I would certainly agree. But the fact that Joker doesn't rape Barbara Gordon should make that concern null and void.

What he did was shoot her, strip her, and take pictures of her nude, broken body. I'm sure there's a way to cut around the nudity...there's barely a glimpse of it in the original comic, anyway. It's more suggestive than anything. Well, except for Jim Gordon's ass...and I'm assuming they could let him leave his undies on in the animated adaptation. haha
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #791

Oct 2009
nYc

The Joker never rapes Babs. In the original script to the book, Alan Moore had Jim Gordon being raped, but axed the idea. He had never intended to have Barbara Gordon raped...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #792
Special Member

Jul 2008

Well, I finally sat down and watched this and I had...a bit of a mixed reaction. I really liked the first half but surprisingly didn't like the way the Joker was handled in this adaptation. And that whole President Regan/Superman thing was not my cup of tea. Although I do admit that the story also does take pot shots at extreme liberalism as well. It's kind of like Batman done in a Watchmen style. I don't know...that second half (or part 2) left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Still, I'm glad I saw it. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this a 3.5.

Last edited by Yojimbo68; 03-16-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #793
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

DKR is a product of its era...though as with much pointed satire, many of its points remain applicable to today's society, as well. But if you have any qualms, it's with Frank Miller's source material. The adaptation is pretty much spot-on.

DKR and Watchmen were, in the '80s, the stories that made the funnybooks "grow up."
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #794
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
DKR is a product of its era...though as with much pointed satire, many of its points remain applicable to today's society, as well. But if you have any qualms, it's with Frank Miller's source material. The adaptation is pretty much spot-on.

DKR and Watchmen were, in the '80s, the stories that made the funnybooks "grow up."
Yes. It is the source material I have qualms with. I didn't care for Watchmen either, so I guess I'm not into heaping portions of pointed liberal satire with my "funnybooks". I loved the Nolan trilogy and I felt that had some of the pointed satire of Dark Knight Returns but didn't rub my nose in it. I adore the original Robocop as well and that film has plenty of pointed satire and definitely has the feel of a graphic novel. I get that comic books "grew up" in the 80's. I just didn't like some of the liberal pot shots. They were too on the nose and frankly a bit naive for my taste as far as DNR is concerned. I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #795
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Considering Miller has been pounding away on behalf of the hard right for years now, I always find it ironic when people blast his "liberal satire."
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #796

Aug 2009

Quote:
Considering Miller has been pounding away on behalf of the hard right for years now, I always find it ironic when people blast his "liberal satire."
Yeah, it's not liberal at all. Sounds like Yojimbo just didn't understand the story (in addition to probably having some misguided political views).
-Paul Acevedo
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #797
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

In his early days, Miller wasn't on the left or the right. He was just young and pissed off. haha He pointed out hypocrisy, corruption, and just plain stupidity wherever he saw it...and he saw it on every side, from the touchy-feely New Agers to both sides of the Cold War, up to and including the White House. He tackled tough subjects and skewered them mercilessly, inviting us, in the wake of Bernie Goetz, to contemplate just where the line was between gang violence and vigilante violence...whether the latter was a cure for the former, or merely a symptom, or even an extension of it. He asked, what if the Big Blue Boyscout was really a dog on a leash, and the U.S. Goverment was supplying the Kryptonian Milk Bones? DKR isn't an attack on liberalism or conservatism...it's a cry in the wilderness from a civilian in a society that seemed to be decaying. From Wall Street greed and white-collar crime to gang wars and citizen apathy. From the White House to the crack house. The '80s was a more turbulent time than many recall. And Frank Miller was tuned in to all of it, trying to ask us all what the hell we were doing.

I miss that Frank Miller. Everything he says and does is so one-sided now. He used to explore fascism as a subject for ruthless satire. Now he seems to have simply embraced it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #798

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Anyone's order from Amazon arrive without the slipcover? I ordered the day the price dropped to $12.49 - just curious if anyone managed to snag a slipcovered one?
LATEST FOR SALE ITEMS:
Frozen: Collector's Edition (US BD/DVD/DC with slip) $17, Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition (US BD/DVD with slip) $15, Epic (US BD/DVD/UV) $10.
All new/sealed. Prices include shipping anywhere in Australia!

--| Sale/Trade thread - Steels & regular Blus! ...big update January 8! |--
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #799

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
Anyone's order from Amazon arrive without the slipcover? I ordered the day the price dropped to $12.49 - just curious if anyone managed to snag a slipcovered one?
I received this from Amazon 2 weeks ago WITH slipcover.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #800

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovoyager View Post
I received this from Amazon 2 weeks ago WITH slipcover.
Me, too. I liked it, although I liked the first part better than the second.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America