Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2009
Default Is problem BD player, disc or both?

Panasonic DMP BD80 player (purchased 2009) with the latest firmware update. (2.64)
Played hundreds of BDs last 4 years w/o issue but, last few months had 4 problems.
2-15-2013: Iron Man 2, USED freeze & skip in 2 spots, repeatable. Small marks scratches. Replacement disc played perfectly.

3-19-2013: Platoon, NEW, cannot read disc, No scratches. Found several complaints online re single disc edition similar to mine. Replacement disc played perfectly.

4-19-2013: Warrior, USED, freezes several spots, repeatable. Has a few scratches. Replacement disc played perfectly.

4-26-2013: Point Blank, NEW, Will not load! No scratches. (Working on replacement)

In all cases tried to clean & no help. Have SD card inserted in player & just disabled Internet access in menu which is not used anyway since no connection.

I’m wondering if the 2 used disc problems (which were fixed by a new disc) prove my player is OK. Except, I wonder if my player losing the ability to correct errors/play discs with scratches?

Have yet to replace Point Blank but, if new disc plays fine (as did Platoon) then does that also mean my player is OK? No firmware updates since 4-2012 so, I wonder if Panasonic has abandoned older players expecting issues & wants to force customers to buy new players? Is 4 years really “old?” Seems suspicious that I had zero issues for almost 4 years & then past few months, 4 issues.

No, I have no access to another BD player to test some of these defective discs.
I could buy a cleaner with brushes or even disassemble & manually clean the laser but, if that was the problem it would have trouble playing all BDs.

Perhaps just a recent string of bad luck or maybe early signs of player failure.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Jan 2011
British Columbia

Since replacement disks have played perfectly I'm inclined to say that the main issue is with the disks themself.

I've had similiar issue with "Quantum of solace" disk, my player would not read it at all, got a replacement disk and it plays that one perfectly. I haven't had any other issues with it. I have tried the first disk on two different players and neither player would play it.
Display: Sony KDL-46V5100
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-BX59
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1325-K
Speakers: Front: Klipsch RF-82, Centre: Klipsch RC-52, Surround: Klipsch RB-61
Subs: Klipsch RW-12D X 2 & RPW-10
Remote: Logitech Harmony 900 RF
Power Conditioner: Ethereal ESP602R Power Manager 2000
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

I agree with radek_t! First of all, where are buying your used blu-rays from? The problem is not your player, it's the discs, if all the new replacements are playing without a hitch. Also, you may want to start purchasing your used blu-rays from somewhere else, or watch them ASAP, so you'll be able to return them, if they're defected.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies. I bought many used from BBV going out of business, & the 2 used that I had the freezes with were goHastings. Yes, best to play used BDs soon so can return. I no longer buy used bc of these issues.

I’m hoping it is just the bad discs & the 2 used were sold to GH by people who probably knew their discs were defective, maybe that is why they sold them! The 2 new ones, manufacturing issues?
I spoke to Panasonic today. No real help. Seems a bit clueless or just didn't know. I had to prompt “So, do you think it is just the discs?” I had to re-explain: 4 problems, 2 with used scratched discs & 2 with new discs.
They say the cleaning brush discs have not shown any harm but, they don’t recommend any brand. He agreed with me that if I had a dirty lens it would have issues with every disc. After many attempts he said that symptom of wearing out is freezing but, s/b on every disc. No real answer to my question about error correction or ability to play with light scratches & if THAT ability is starting to fail on my player. He does not know if they will have further updated firmware for my unit. He verified 2.64 is current firmware. He mentioned region code & need for SD card for some discs. (Not my issues)

I also called Magnolia Pictures since no reply to my email & they say they have not had problems with that title (Point Blank) Suggested I clear my cache or memory folder in my BD player. I explained no cache or memory folder. I think new models that stream have this. They will look into it & get back to me later in the week.

I’m going to bring Point Blank to BBY tonight & see if it plays in their player. I was hoping Magnolia would have sent me a new disc bc if BBY does an exchange, when I get the replacement from their warehouse, it may be from the same batch which may also not load.

If it does play @ BBY......
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Point Blank could be a manufacturing issue but it could also be a compatibility issue. Is your player connected to the internet? Have you tried setting BD-Live Internet Access to Prohibit? Some BD-Live discs can take a while to load or sometimes hang when they're trying to check for updates from the internet and can't find a connection.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Point Blank could be a manufacturing issue but it could also be a compatibility issue. Is your player connected to the internet? Have you tried setting BD-Live Internet Access to Prohibit? Some BD-Live discs can take a while to load or sometimes hang when they're trying to check for updates from the internet and can't find a connection.
Yes, I did just that after it would not load.

"In all cases tried to clean & no help. Have SD card inserted in player & just disabled Internet access in menu which is not used anyway since no connection."
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2009

4-29-13 update:
Went to BBY & spent an hour with Geek squad playing a few of my defective BD discs. Should have taken 10 minutes tops. For some reason the guy had much trouble operating their own system! Sony BDP S185. 1st I asked him to try to play Point Blank which I purchased @ BBY new a week ago. It would not play & I was delighted since that appeared to prove that it, like the others, was a defective disc & NOT my BD player. Then he realized he had failed to connect their BD player to the TV! After connecting, Point Blank BD did play! So it plays on their Sony but not on my Panasonic!

I asked as a favor to try my defective copy of Platoon & like with my player it would not load at all! So that one was a proven defective disc. For some reason each attempt to play took 10+ minutes for this guy. I then brought out my used, scratched copy of Warrior & had him cue it to 1:01 where it had frozen, pixellated, macro-blocked & skipped badly on my player. It briefly froze/skipped on their Sony but, no where near as bad as it had repeatedly done on mine. He commented that the scratches went around the disc like a groove in a record which is worse than going from center out to edge.

I was able to still return & rebuy/reorder Point Blank. When the new disc arrives if it does not play I am out of options.

If this keeps happening probably will need new BD player! I still wonder if they stop updating firmware on older players & force you to buy a new player when new copy protection cones along that stops play & you model is no longer updated.

So, I have now proven that at least one new, unscratched, clean BD will NOT load in my Panasonic but will play in a Sony.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2009
Angry

I rec’d replacement from BBY. Same UPC. Still will not play!
BD player display says reading & disc icon flashes & then stop & TV screen error message: “Cannot read please ck disc”
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2009

You may be correct.
I’m trying to find out if anyone with a Panasonic DMP BD60 or 80 has played this Movie. Either Magnolia made a batch/lot of “bad” discs that are difficult to read & only some players but not the BD80 can read.And I got two from the same source, BBY warehouse. (Not a popular film so few copies sold). Or, my player is beginning to have problems; dusty laser lens, dirty spindle etc. which make it hard to read certain discs like this one. This problem is driving me crazy.
I may buy a Maxell cleaning disc & try that.

2 undisputed facts:

A Sony player played my exact problem disc & I can play all other discs so far. Have played several hundred to date.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Power Member

Aug 2009

Don’t think I had updated 2 facts, Tried new BD, 12 Angry Men & also would not load despite eject & retry 5X. Tried Legally Blonde & didn’t load but eject & retry & played fine. Now problem is 2-3 BDs, not just one.

I gave up & bought an Oppo BDP-103. Works great plays both BDs that would not play in Panasonic & Oppo has great customer service reputation. I have emailed them with a couple set up questions & each time I received a reply in hours ... not weeks (or never) as happens with some other brands.

On the day my new Oppo was due to arrive, I finally rec’d (telephone message) response to my Panasonic paper, snail mail letter! They had ignored my email & telephone support was worthless, no suggestions. They said: “If SD card in & Internet disabled & tried another copy of Point Blank, try turning off Quick Start. We have had good results with this. Yes, FW 2.64 is latest update. Only other option is service but, since plays all other BDs, & unit 4 years old probably not a good option for you.”

I tried quick start off & now Panasonic plays 12 Angry Men! But, still no luck with Point Blank.

Last edited by growler; 05-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Tags
defective disc, defective player