COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.35
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Default About FINAL DESTINATION pop-outs......

Got a Panasonic 65" VT50 a couple of weeks ago and have purchased about 20 3-D Blu-Rays. Bear in mind that I'm 68 years old and remember seeing many of the 50s titles in theatres and loving the in-your-face pop-out effects. I'm not lookung to start another debate about pop-out vs. natrual depth and immersion. There IS a place for pop-out movies right along with total immersion films - some of my purchases are of the latter type and I thoroughly enjoy those also. But, some of the titles where I was expecting a lot of 3-D eye candy (think RESIDENT EVIL, AFTERLIFE and AMAZING SPIDERMAN and GHOST RIDER, SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE) fell a bit short. Yes, there was the right depth but the "shocks" werer missing. Then I saw FINAL DESTINATION 3-D. This was the one that starts with the race car wreck and ends with the exploding theatre. So, I have a couple of questions......#1 - was this the first of the F.D. films? Was it originally shot in 3-D or is it a conversion (if. it is a conversion, it is damn good). #2 - I've seen at least one more F.D. available in 3-D (possibly number 5)...has anyone seen it in 3-D and are the in-your-face effects as good as the one I've seen? Lasty, #3 - What other live action 3-D titles have pop-out effects as good a (or even better than) FINAL DESTINATION? Thanks, and don't flame me for liking pop-outs along with immersion.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

That is not the first movie in the final destination franchise. I haven't seen any of the FD films in 3D so I can't really make any comparisons. But, you may want to check out the new Silent Hill Revelation. The 3D is amazing. Has some really good pop out moments. The film itself..not sure if you will enjoy..many don't. But myself and a few others really enjoyed the movie.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2008

Hey there. The Final Destination is a confusing title; it's actually the 4th movie in the series. It was called THE Final Destination because it was supposed to be the last one, but then it made more money than the first three so they decided to make a fifth anyway. The first three (and fifth) don't have a "the" in the title. The Final Destination was shot in native 3D with the Pace/Cameron Fusion system from Avatar and is the first in the series to be in 3D (Final Destination 3 was supposed to be, but plans changed because the technology was not in many theatres at the time).

Final Destination 5 is also in native 3D, and it has some spectacular effects as well; it was actually directed by the second-unit director of Avatar but it's got WAY more "gotcha" pop-outs than that movie. It's also a much better film than The Final Destination (it actually has a Fresh rating on RottenTomatoes, which almost never happens for modern horror, and never EVER happens for part five of a horror series). Do be advised you'll get the most enjoyment out of Final Destination 5 if you've also at least seen the original Final Destination from 2000, which isn't in 3D and takes itself a bit too seriously (it was before the series got all self-aware), but is still pretty good. Unlike The Final Destination, which is a standalone movie save for a bunch of background jokes/references to the others, Final Destination 5 has a story connection with and returning character from the original.

As to other 3D horror, Silent Hill: Revelation is probably worth checking out for the 3D effect, but I'd recommend waiting for the price to drop. The movie, frankly, is awful - terrible script and acting, even below the general standards of horror flicks. But the 3D is pretty great and there are some nice, creepy visuals and music. Judged as something of a theme park haunted house it's pretty good, just don't expect any narrative cohesion or believable characters and performances. That one's also a sequel, technically, but it directly contradicts the story of the first one so much that it really doesn't help to have seen it (in fact a lot of people who didn't see the first movie seem to like Revelation better than those who have).

I'd also recommend My Bloody Valentine 3D. It's a native 3D slasher remake with plenty of pop-out and a decently engaging story for that type of film. Just be careful to get the actual Blu-ray 3D release, and not the original release in anaglyph green/purple format.

Last edited by UFAlien; 02-23-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

For fun pop-outs in cheesy live-action, Final Destination 4 & 5 are the best I've seen.

A few others:
- Journey to the Center of the Earth
- My Bloody Valentine
- Drive Angry
- Fright Night
- Step Up 3
- A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (nice pop-outs, very weak depth)
- Yogi Bear
Vizio E3D420VX, 160GB PS3, Sony MDR-DS7500 Headphones
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by almy View Post
Got a Panasonic 65" VT50 a couple of weeks ago and have purchased about 20 3-D Blu-Rays. Bear in mind that I'm 68 years old and remember seeing many of the 50s titles in theatres and loving the in-your-face pop-out effects. I'm not lookung to start another debate about pop-out vs. natrual depth and immersion. There IS a place for pop-out movies right along with total immersion films - some of my purchases are of the latter type and I thoroughly enjoy those also. But, some of the titles where I was expecting a lot of 3-D eye candy (think RESIDENT EVIL, AFTERLIFE and AMAZING SPIDERMAN and GHOST RIDER, SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE) fell a bit short. Yes, there was the right depth but the "shocks" werer missing. Then I saw FINAL DESTINATION 3-D. This was the one that starts with the race car wreck and ends with the exploding theatre. So, I have a couple of questions......#1 - was this the first of the F.D. films? Was it originally shot in 3-D or is it a conversion (if. it is a conversion, it is damn good). #2 - I've seen at least one more F.D. available in 3-D (possibly number 5)...has anyone seen it in 3-D and are the in-your-face effects as good as the one I've seen? Lasty, #3 - What other live action 3-D titles have pop-out effects as good a (or even better than) FINAL DESTINATION? Thanks, and don't flame me for liking pop-outs along with immersion.
The one with the cars is number 4, it was the first one in 3D and it was shot in 3D.

Number 5 has great 3D with quite a good range of popouts, it was also shot it 3D.

For live action popouts I would go for Drive Angry and as someone else said My Bloody Valentine. Same director did both and both native 3D.

Spy Kids 3/Shark Double pack. Very cheap title. Great popouts but probably 2 of the worst films I've ever endured in my life. The popouts are non stop and very intense if you can stand to watch the drivel......

Cane Toads is a documentary but is shot natively and has great 3D with toads jumping out of the screen at you all the time (*shudders) and is a great little whacky movie as well.

Yogi Bear is live action with CGI animals.

Journey 1 as listed above, although it is also a pretty terrible movie.

For animation NOTHING beats Madagascar 3 or Sammys Adventures 1 or 2. 2 is the better film if you have an objection to 'greenie' material, but they are the 2 best titles on the market for intense 3D.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Oct 2011
St. Louis

The OP lists Ghost Rider and Spiderman as examples of eye candy but to me they are vastly overrated movies and didn't think the 3D was very good in those movies at all. Which is the problem when it comes to 3D, everybody seems to have different preferences.

I have the FD movies that are in 3D and found them to have pretty awesome 3D. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Oct 2011
St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post

For animation NOTHING beats Madagascar 3 or Sammys Adventures 1 or 2. 2 is the better film if you have an objection to 'greenie' material, but they are the 2 best titles on the market for intense 3D.
I couldn't agree more. I love the Sammy movies but I bought Madagascar with reservations, but I was blown away by the movie and the 3D.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
The OP lists Ghost Rider and Spiderman as examples of eye candy but to me they are vastly overrated movies and didn't think the 3D was very good in those movies at all. Which is the problem when it comes to 3D, everybody seems to have different preferences.
Actually he said he was EXPECTING them to be eye candy and was disappointed... which seems to be the general consensus for those movies. Amazing Spider-Man had some good stuff (the backflip out of the screen in the climax is great) but most of it was very shallow. Ghost Rider was a technically competent conversion for the most part but really didn't live up to its potential.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
I couldn't agree more. I love the Sammy movies but I bought Madagascar with reservations, but I was blown away by the movie and the 3D.
The only thing I loathe about M3 is I end up with that stupid bloody Circus Afro song stuck in my head for about a week every time I watch it.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #10

Oct 2011
St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Actually he said he was EXPECTING them to be eye candy and was disappointed... which seems to be the general consensus for those movies. Amazing Spider-Man had some good stuff (the backflip out of the screen in the climax is great) but most of it was very shallow. Ghost Rider was a technically competent conversion for the most part but really didn't live up to its potential.
I read that wrong because RE: Afterlife is an amazing 3D title.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #11

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by almy View Post
Got a Panasonic 65" VT50 a couple of weeks ago and have purchased about 20 3-D Blu-Rays. Bear in mind that I'm 68 years old and remember seeing many of the 50s titles in theatres and loving the in-your-face pop-out effects. I'm not lookung to start another debate about pop-out vs. natrual depth and immersion. There IS a place for pop-out movies right along with total immersion films - some of my purchases are of the latter type and I thoroughly enjoy those also.
Just wish to correct one of the common mistake of the use of the word "immersion". Immersion is about a person's state of absorption into a movie due to confluence of factors such as story, lighting, sound. Do not confuse it with the word "depth" as in 3D depth, which is where things seem farther and deeper, like looking out through a window.

In other words, a person can be immersed in a movie filled with more 3D pop-outs than depth (e.g., Journey to the the Center of the Earth, Final Destination 4). The opposite is also true, where depths and little pop-outs can also be immersive in experience (e.g., Avatar, Monster House).
Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #12

Sep 2012

I'm beginning to wonder how good my 3D is on my Panny.

I've yet to see something come right to my face including the beginning of FINAL DESTINATION 5.

Does all that broken glass during the opening credits come close to anyones face ?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #13

Nov 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

Flying swords of dragon gate is a must for live action popouts!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

If you want real pop, you have to go with the imax nature movies. Im a child of the 80s and none of the 3d movies today compare to those. 3d movies today are really conservative. Regardless I really enjoy my 3d collection.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton3779 View Post
Flying swords of dragon gate is a must for live action popouts!
Absolutely!! Pop outs are amazing in that one. Great depth shots as well.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke smot View Post
If you want real pop, you have to go with the imax nature movies. Im a child of the 80s and none of the 3d movies today compare to those. 3d movies today are really conservative. Regardless I really enjoy my 3d collection.
Agree as well. The 3D IMAX blus are real eye candy for 3D. Only drawback is that they are not long enough.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies