Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #661

Jul 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I could barely notice a difference too.
That's cause you and I aren't sheep who will buy the same movie 25 times.
Started Collecting Jun 29, 2008
Most Wanted Blu-rays: Beowulf 3D | Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #662
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

The MI4K editions probably aren't worth buying if you already have the previous Blu-Rays and want a big leap in quality, but if you don't have the previous Blu-Rays and just want the best quality versions available then the MI4K editions are the ones to get. They do look better even if its not night and day.

I myself didn't have any of the older Blu-Rays or even any of the DVDs, I went from VHS to Mastered in 4K! haha.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #663

Jul 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
The MI4K editions probably aren't worth buying if you already have the previous Blu-Rays and want a big leap in quality, but if you don't have the previous Blu-Rays and just want the best quality versions available then the MI4K editions are the ones to get. They do look better even if its not night and day.

I myself didn't have any of the older Blu-Rays or even any of the DVDs, I went from VHS to Mastered in 4K! haha.
I think if you dont have any, you may as well get 4K like you said. Upgrading is what I have an issue with, when this hardly counts as an upgrade.
Started Collecting Jun 29, 2008
Most Wanted Blu-rays: Beowulf 3D | Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair
Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #664
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoCereal View Post
I think if you dont have any, you may as well get 4K like you said. Upgrading is what I have an issue with, when this hardly counts as an upgrade.
Yeah that's fair enough. Besides its not like the previous Blu-Ray releases were bad, they are still quite solid plus you get special features which is the down side to the MI4K line because none of them have any extras.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #665
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY
Send a message via Skype™ to KaineKinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Yeah that's fair enough. Besides its not like the previous Blu-Ray releases were bad, they are still quite solid plus you get special features which is the down side to the MI4K line because none of them have any extras.
I just don't understand why they don't put a Bonus Disk of Bonus Features in with it...
My 3DS nickname: Kaine
My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX Live GamerTag is KaineKinetic
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #666
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
I just don't understand why they don't put a Bonus Disk of Bonus Features in with it...
It seems logical, but I'm thinking its just the studios attempt at milking sales as much as possible. Eventually I can see them releasing the MI4K transfers with a bonus features dedicated disc.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #667
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
That's cause you and I aren't sheep who will buy the same movie 25 times.
I've been known in the past to buy the same movie, two maybe three times depending on the title. And I considered buying this for awhile but changed my mind last night when I realized that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Blu-rays that I already own. Even thought Spider-Man 1 & 2 are barebones, a long time ago I bought a 3-disc Blu-ray cases and added the DVDs in them so I would have all the special features for both films. So really it is unnecessary for me to purchase this over again. Plus, the quality on all these films are already really well done last time that I watched them and would just seem ridiculous to purchase them again.

Besides, like I said I can't really tell a difference between the old releases and the new 4K resolution Blu-rays so it would be a waste of money anyway. Some people gotta have the best picture/sound around and while though things are nice, I'm just happy owning the films I enjoy on Blu-ray.

Last edited by ShamelessFanGirl; 03-03-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #668

Dec 2012
Mississippi

Quote:
Even thought Spider-Man 1 & 2 are barebones, a long time ago I bought a 3-disc Blu-ray cases and added the DVDs in them so I would have all the special features for both films. So really it is unnecessary for me to purchase this over again.
The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man" has a few extra features that weren't on the regular DVDs. It has the rare Tobey Maguire/J.K. Simmons audio commentary that could previously only be found on the Superbit edition, and about 20-30 minutes of extras that were previously only to be found on the extra 3rd disc from the 3-disc Deluxe Edition.

The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man 2" has both cuts of the movie (theatrical and "Spider-Man 2.1"), as well as an audio commentary for the 2.1 edition. I think the 2007 Blu-Ray had the 2.1 cut, but not any commentary for it. I'm not sure whether or not it has any other extras not to be found on the DVDs.

The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man 3" is just a repackaging of the first disc from the 2007 two-disc Blu-Ray set, and is thus missing some extras.

Last edited by hbenthow; 03-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #669
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
That's cause you and I should have gone to Specsavers.
Fixed.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #670

Aug 2013
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler95 View Post
bluray.highdefdigest.com published a review today for the new 4K Mastered Spider-Man Blu-Ray. They said that the video presentation is stronger but it isn't a night and day improvement and its not a significant upgrade. The audio is a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD Mix whereas the 2012 Release featured a DTS-HD MA 5.1 Mix. They should have just reused the latter. It doesn't matter I guess since both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA offer identical sound quality.

They have several good screenshot comparisons of the 2013 Transfer to the 2007/2012 Transfer but I still think that both look almost identical. I am going to stick with my 2012 Blu-Ray of Spider-Man. The HD Transfer is still very nice and almost all the extras from the DVD are there.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8985...y+Disc+News%29
I'm probably in the minority, but I actually prefer the look of the screenshots from the older discs (the ones on top). The resolution may be a bit worse (can't really tell on this laptop), but the contrast is deeper, and the colors seem more vibrant to me - especially those comparisons of MJ. I like that sort of thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 AM   #671
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

I still like Spiderman 2, but I recently watched Spideman 1, and, I thought it was cheesier... I could have sworn it was better?
Is it not holding up?

I feel we thought it was so great when it first came out because it was right after 9/11, and it was a feel-good NY movie that we needed.

But now, seeing it (owning it), I feel Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin is unintentionally funny sounding like Spotswoode from Team America:

"Now get in the car... and suck my d!ck"

Come on!

Then he's flying around on that kite like a goofball... Its just... Ugh.

Last edited by eiknarf; 03-16-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #672
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbenthow View Post
The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man" has a few extra features that weren't on the regular DVDs. It has the rare Tobey Maguire/J.K. Simmons audio commentary that could previously only be found on the Superbit edition, and about 20-30 minutes of extras that were previously only to be found on the extra 3rd disc from the 3-disc Deluxe Edition.

The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man 2" has both cuts of the movie (theatrical and "Spider-Man 2.1"), as well as an audio commentary for the 2.1 edition. I think the 2007 Blu-Ray had the 2.1 cut, but not any commentary for it. I'm not sure whether or not it has any other extras not to be found on the DVDs.

The 2012 Blu-Ray of "Spider-Man 3" is just a repackaging of the first disc from the 2007 two-disc Blu-Ray set, and is thus missing some extras.
Thank you for explaining this to me.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #673
Power Member

Jul 2010

The new box set that comes out next month has all that plus the second disc for SM3.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #674
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
The new box set that comes out next month has all that plus the second disc for SM3.
I would if it will in HD this time? I think I heard somewhere that when they did the first Blu-ray re-release all the special features were that were on Spider-Man 1 and 2 were in standard definition.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #675
Power Member

Jul 2010

I doubt it's anything but the existing discs.

But I'll take it. The first time they ignored the first two films and the second time they upgraded the first two and downgraded the third so this is the first time they've gotten it right.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #676
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
Which set? Do you have a link?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #677

Sep 2010
Antwerp, Belgium

Quote:
I barely noticed a difference on comparison screenshots, so I definitely wouldn't see anything in motion. These are a ripoff 100%, and you're playing into it.
Quite the hobby you got there. Watching and comparing screenshots. Cheap too.

I also have a hobby. It's called watching movies in the best possible quality.
For the Spider Man movies this means watching the MI4K-releases. (=> better color, more detail, etc...)
(Slightly more expensive than watching screenshots but at less than 20 EUR/movie not exactly breaking the bank either.)

It amazes me that people cheer re-releases containing extra's but show indifference (and even hostility) towards re-releases with significantly better picture quality. (Like I stated in a previous post; the old "Spider Man 2"-blu-ray looks like it's in 720p as compared to the newer MI4K-edition.)

A lot of people are still enjoying their old Spider-Man blu-ray's => More power to them. (But when some of these fans claim the difference between their old discs and the MI4K-editions is barely noticeable they are impossible to be taken seriously.)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #678
Special Member

Jul 2009
BC, Canada

Quote:
I would if it will in HD this time? I think I heard somewhere that when they did the first Blu-ray re-release all the special features were that were on Spider-Man 1 and 2 were in standard definition.
Why would it be in HD? The special features were made for the DVDs that came out in 2002 and 2004 respectively. You won't see them in HD.
GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vancouver Canucks fan till the day I die! The Cup WILL be ours very soon! Better believe it! Choke on it, haters!
GOLD CANADA GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVD/Bluray collection: http://beefmaster10000.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1
Old 03-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #679
Special Member

Oct 2008
Tampa- FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Kenneth View Post
Quite the hobby you got there. Watching and comparing screenshots. Cheap too.

I also have a hobby. It's called watching movies in the best possible quality.
For the Spider Man movies this means watching the MI4K-releases. (=> better color, more detail, etc...)
(Slightly more expensive than watching screenshots but at less than 20 EUR/movie not exactly breaking the bank either.)

It amazes me that people cheer re-releases containing extra's but show indifference (and even hostility) towards re-releases with significantly better picture quality. (Like I stated in a previous post; the old "Spider Man 2"-blu-ray looks like it's in 720p as compared to the newer MI4K-edition.)

A lot of people are still enjoying their old Spider-Man blu-ray's => More power to them. (But when some of these fans claim the difference between their old discs and the MI4K-editions is barely noticeable they are impossible to be taken seriously.)
One thing we all can't forget to factor in is the equipment the other member is using to watch the movies on. We can safely assume that if a member says "I don't see much a difference" they must not have the same equipment as me if I see a huge difference. I have always used plasma so I have always been impressed with bluray but recently I upgraded from a 42" to a 60" - man what a difference - far less forgiving. But size isn't the only variable, do they have a very low cost LED/LCD, a lost cost projector, we really can't forget to weight this into the discussion. If I'm talking to another member and we have the exact same viewing variables and then we disagree, well now we can argue.
As for your comments - I'm with you - give me the best quality I can get - it's worth it with my euqipment.
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D
Sony BDP-S790 3D
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (Playroom)
Sony BDP-S2100
Samsung T260HD 26" (Bedroom)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Samsung BD-UP5000 (HDDVD/Bluray combo)
Magnavox NB500MG1F (extra player)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #680
Special Member

Jul 2009
BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Kenneth View Post
It amazes me that people cheer re-releases containing extra's but show indifference (and even hostility) towards re-releases with significantly better picture quality.
Then you obviously don't pay attention to other people's complaints. Why shouldn't people be upset when they re-release a movie and strip it of all the extras it previously had?

Quite frankly, many of these MI4K blurays are ripoffs when they can't even include the extras, when we know they can fit. Not to mention plenty of movies have been mastered in 4K, so Sony isn't doing anything special. This is just another marketing gimmick to reel in the suckers.

Oh, and maybe a few of them have better picture quality, but there are also some that aren't close to significant. Total Recall and the Amazaing Spider-Man aren't significant differences, considering they were already mastered in 4K and had great PQ to begin with.

You may be okay with only better picture quality, but I want better everything. I expect a complete disc, especially if special features have already been released before.

MGM had no problems doing the opposite. They remastered Robocop in 4K AND included lots of extras.
GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vancouver Canucks fan till the day I die! The Cup WILL be ours very soon! Better believe it! Choke on it, haters!
GOLD CANADA GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVD/Bluray collection: http://beefmaster10000.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

Last edited by GP Legend; 03-16-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America