Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Innocents (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #2661

Jun 2012

I'm fine with the set as is, but man, that packaging is beyond terrible. At least it's in an amaray case, but the artwork is the cheapest looking photoshop job they could possibly come up with.

It's not befitting of this series. I'd double dip for something better just as a straight repackage. I hate this one so much.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #2662
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurd View Post
Agreed. If New Line was still around, we would have gotten a Freddy box set similar to the old DVD set, and each film would have been on a separate disc. I'm happy with the collection as it is, though, but it would have been nice to have packaging a little bit better than a slipbox.
The DVD set had each film on a single-layered disc. Which is no better than having two films on a dual-layered disc. Nostalgia and packaging aside, the DVD set wasn't very good.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #2663

Jun 2012
London UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousefouraname View Post
I'm fine with the set as is, but man, that packaging is beyond terrible. At least it's in an amaray case, but the artwork is the cheapest looking photoshop job they could possibly come up with.

It's not befitting of this series. I'd double dip for something better just as a straight repackage. I hate this one so much.
That's why I skipped this release, it looks like a rushed out release. I still haven't upgraded from the excellent 1999 box set.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #2664
Expert Member

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
The DVD set had each film on a single-layered disc. Which is no better than having two films on a dual-layered disc. Nostalgia and packaging aside, the DVD set wasn't very good.
By today's standards, I agree. But when this came out 15 years ago, it was pretty impressive. I don't have any issues with the blu-ray set. I think it's great for what it is, but if New Line was still been around we may have seen something different.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #2665
Special Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
By today's standards, I agree. But when this came out 15 years ago, it was pretty impressive. I don't have any issues with the blu-ray set. I think it's great for what it is, but if New Line was still been around we may have seen something different.
I still have the original dvd box set. It was very impressive when first released. Its still really nice I think. Each film on its own disc with original poster art on the front of the cases. I have it stored because I have the blu set. Blu-ray transfers are good I think but, they could be better. The whole set should have been better but, I'll take what I can get for now. Maybe one day something better will come along but being that it's Warner Brothers, I doubt it!!
Thanks given by:
Spooked (Today)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #2666
Expert Member

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
I still have the original dvd box set. It was very impressive when first released. Its still really nice I think. Each film on its own disc with original poster art on the front of the cases. I have it stored because I have the blu set. Blu-ray transfers are good I think but, they could be better. The whole set should have been better but, I'll take what I can get for now. Maybe one day something better will come along but being that it's Warner Brothers, I doubt it!!
More likely, Warner Brothers will just repackage the same discs over and over again. One thing about the old DVD set was that, for me at least, it was the first opportunity I had to own all of the films. Before that, I could only find the original film and New Nightmare in movie stores on VHS, and it was a chore trying to find the sequels to rent at places like Blockbuster and Movie Gallery. I never could find Nightmare 2, and didn't get to see that one until the box set came out. This was probably the first big box set that I owned, and seeing all of the films in anamorphic widescreen, each in their own case with their own artwork, and a bonus disc that was a maze full of fun features, it was pretty awesome to me. Now, today I won't pull the set out to watch, since the blu-rays are much better quality, but I'm hanging on to the DVD box set as a nice addition of my Freddy collection.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #2667
Special Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
More likely, Warner Brothers will just repackage the same discs over and over again. One thing about the old DVD set was that, for me at least, it was the first opportunity I had to own all of the films. Before that, I could only find the original film and New Nightmare in movie stores on VHS, and it was a chore trying to find the sequels to rent at places like Blockbuster and Movie Gallery. I never could find Nightmare 2, and didn't get to see that one until the box set came out. This was probably the first big box set that I owned, and seeing all of the films in anamorphic widescreen, each in their own case with their own artwork, and a bonus disc that was a maze full of fun features, it was pretty awesome to me. Now, today I won't pull the set out to watch, since the blu-rays are much better quality, but I'm hanging on to the DVD box set as a nice addition of my Freddy collection.
I had all of them on VHS first. Then, when I got my first DVD player in 2000 or 2001 the first DVD'S I bought were Nightmare films 1, 3, and 4. Then I went a head and bought the box set. Hopefully when 4k blu-ray comes out next year, Warner's will release them again and this time do it right. It would be nice to see them all in 4K.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #2668

Nov 2014
New York

The Nightmare DVD boxset was a trendsetter. It was really, the first of its kind.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #2669
Special Member

Jul 2013
Scotland

If it wasn't for New Line I doubt these BDs would've offered the original audio tracks.
BD titles for trade or sale: 2.50: Warriors of Heaven and Earth (Sony); Wolf (Sony). 3.00:
Bullet to the Head (E1); The Third Man (Studio Canal, Canada (bilingual), A). 20 Million Miles to Earth/It Came from Beneath the Sea (Mill Creek, A) 4.00: The Myth (Cine Asia) *NEW/SEALED. Star Trek - The Motion Picture (Paramount) *NEW/SEALED 5.00: Bound (M6, France); Dressed to Kill (Carlotta). 8.00: Serpico (Master of Cinema, B).
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #2670

Jul 2014

Doesn't Warner Bros. love money? Why has there been no mention of a 4k blu ray collection?

I'm holding out hope that a more respectable release happens eventually, something that really rivals my '99 DVD set.
"I hope you're happy now, Jacob."
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #2671
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanicflight_815 View Post
Doesn't Warner Bros. love money? Why has there been no mention of a 4k blu ray collection?

I'm holding out hope that a more respectable release happens eventually, something that really rivals my '99 DVD set.
Packaging aside, the BD set crushes your '99 DVD set.
Thanks given by:
Cochese04 (Today)
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #2672

Oct 2011

Quote:
Yes, the BDs have lots of black crush.
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #2673
Special Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
I have both sets and the blu-ray set friggin' destroys the 1999 set in both detail and color. I doubt they will master them in 4K.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America