Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #461
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

I just saw this for the first time on Showtime. Although it's not the kind of movie that I would want to own on Blu-ray, I must say that, despite my skepticism going in, Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible. Not being of that time, none of can truly know what Lincoln was like, but Daniel Day-Lewis's performance brought him back to life - if but for hours ...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #462
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I just saw this for the first time on Showtime. Although it's not the kind of movie that I would want to own on Blu-ray, I must say that, despite my skepticism going in, Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible. Not being of that time, none of can truly know what Lincoln was like, but Daniel Day-Lewis's performance brought him back to life - if but for hours ...

You're just now watching this? Shame on you. IMHO it's his best role outside The Last of the Mohicans.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #463
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
You're just now watching this? Shame on you. IMHO it's his best role outside The Last of the Mohicans.
Another flick I only saw once on TV which has been on my wish list ever since (it's a big list).
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #464

Aug 2007
BROOKLYN , N.Y
Default Best picture

" lincoln " really should have won best picture . Sally field much better than anne hathaway. I wonder sometimes about the voters for the oscars
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #465
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondanto View Post
" lincoln " really should have won best picture . Sally field much better than anne hathaway. I wonder sometimes about the voters for the oscars
It was definitely better than Argo even if it was only by a small fraction.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #466
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbarar View Post
I have never been able to understand why people think this is such a great movie. It was just an OK movie with a not very good ending. We all know the story. Showing Lincoln in his death bed diluted the effort. A far more powerful ending would have been Lincoln walking out the door of the White House, the screen fading to black with the words "He is now for the ages".

Compare and constrast this to the ending for the movie Patton. The general walking off past the windmill with Scott reading a small passage: "Roman concourers returning from the war enjoyed the honor of a triumph....a slave stood behind the concourer holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning that all glory is fleeting". The movie Patton would not have been the same showing the general in an automobile accident, breaking his neck and dying in a hospital bed several weeks later.

Don
I agree 100%. I just watched it last night for the first time on Blu-Ray (owned it since release day though) and as a History buff and a History Education major in college, I was excited to see it. I thought the framing of the film was a poor choice, it should have been more about Lincoln during the Civil War, NOT just Lincoln during the push for the 13th Amendment, in one month, when the war was for all intents and purposes, over. To trivialize Lincoln and his leadership as all coming down to one month, one amendment, is to ignore the mountain of other events that took place during his presidency. The acting was top notch, but the pace of the film really hurt it and I was left extremely bored by the film and upset at what a wasted opportunity this was.

Spielberg had a chance to make the defining biographical film of this era and instead he chose to pseudo-marginalize the man and to make it a film more about one single event, than about the man and the divided nation he led.

Just a truly dull and disappointing effort that wasted outstanding actors.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #467

Dec 2008
Kentucky

Saw the thread come up and I asked myself why I haven't seen it yet? Guess I need to find it on blu ray.
UV Codes I am looking for: Saving Mr. Banks, Delivery Man, Ender's Game, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #468

May 2010
Detroit, MI

Will this movie ever drop in price!??
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #469
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyblu View Post
Will this movie ever drop in price!??
Yep, I saw the 3 Disc version at Best Buy yesterday for $18.99 even though it shows $34.99 on their site.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #470
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

I'll sell my mint 4-disc with slip for a good price if anyone wants it. Doubt I will watch it again.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #471

Sep 2013

Best film of the year - 2012. Epic
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #472
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank View Post
I agree 100%. I just watched it last night for the first time on Blu-Ray (owned it since release day though) and as a History buff and a History Education major in college, I was excited to see it. I thought the framing of the film was a poor choice, it should have been more about Lincoln during the Civil War, NOT just Lincoln during the push for the 13th Amendment, in one month, when the war was for all intents and purposes, over. To trivialize Lincoln and his leadership as all coming down to one month, one amendment, is to ignore the mountain of other events that took place during his presidency. The acting was top notch, but the pace of the film really hurt it and I was left extremely bored by the film and upset at what a wasted opportunity this was.

Spielberg had a chance to make the defining biographical film of this era and instead he chose to pseudo-marginalize the man and to make it a film more about one single event, than about the man and the divided nation he led.

Just a truly dull and disappointing effort that wasted outstanding actors.
I think you may be missing the point - not that I think it was a great movie. Spielberg wasn't trying to make a Lincoln biography. He was focusing strictly on the last days of Lincoln's life. You didn't see his early life, right? No childhood, early career, etc. If you want to fault something from that perspective, fault the title of the film - which implies that it's a biography - which it clearly isn't.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #473
Special Member

Mar 2011
-

Quote:
Yep, I saw the 3 Disc version at Best Buy yesterday for $18.99 even though it shows $34.99 on their site.
Yeah, I was able to find a copy of the Blu-ray/DVD combo with the slip at Dollar General for $9. I couldn't pass it up. I enjoyed the movie, but I wasn't able to get it last year.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #474
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
They have a 3D version of this!? What the hell is the world coming to?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #475
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

Then he should have called it 31 Days in January. Calling the film Lincoln gives the impression it is a retrospective, much like HBO's John Adams was. I'm not saying the subject matter wasn't interesting, obviously that period of the time was interesting as well, but Lincoln experienced so much that to confine a 2hr 45 minute film to just that period, in 1865, is missing so much more that could have been explored. I know I am probably in the minority, but I was just underwhelmed and disappointed with everything EXCEPT the acting, which was quite good.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #476
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank View Post
Then he should have called it 31 Days in January. Calling the film Lincoln gives the impression it is a retrospective, much like HBO's John Adams was. I'm not saying the subject matter wasn't interesting, obviously that period of the time was interesting as well, but Lincoln experienced so much that to confine a 2hr 45 minute film to just that period, in 1865, is missing so much more that could have been explored. I know I am probably in the minority, but I was just underwhelmed and disappointed with everything EXCEPT the acting, which was quite good.
Hey, I clearly said "fault the title of the film - which implies that it's a biography - which it clearly isn't." Not that I think 31 Days in January is an artistic triumph either. I'm sure they had some focus group or corporate think tank nonsense which told them keeping it simple was better. Creativity was clearly not applied to the title. More's the pity.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #477
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post
Yeah, I was able to find a copy of the Blu-ray/DVD combo with the slip at Dollar General for $9. I couldn't pass it up. I enjoyed the movie, but I wasn't able to get it last year.
The problem with that edition is that it is missing an entire BD-25 of extras.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #478
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Florida

I just went to watch the film for first time since I watched it after my purchase last year, and it's freezing up at the point when James Spader and the other two characters are trying to round up votes.

The disc has a small mark on the bottom, but I didn't have any issues when I played it before. All my players are updated, so it's definitely the disc.

This is my favorite film from last year, so I'll definitely need to replace it. Just wish the price was lower.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America