Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
13 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #2541

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Stereo broadcasting began in 1984. There were a few shows encoded with Dolby Surround before TNG. The first 3 seasons of TNG were encoded as "stereo surround" but they didn't use Dolby encoding until the fourth season, which was the first to feature the Dolby Surround logo. The center channel (in Pro Logic systems) wasn't anchored very well until they did: dialogue had a tendency to echo in all the channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888578 View Post
Yes, that's right, it was "stereo surround", I did not have a Pro Logic system, but, I do recall that about the dialogue. I thought it was the broadcasting/reception, or, the fact I used the Dolby Surround setting on my receiver for non-dolby surround, but, perhaps it was the encoding itself that was the problem.
The local broadcaster of TNG in my area was using an automatically engaged stereo synthesizer during the late 1980s. It seemed to do nothing more than shift the phase between the left and right channels when it sensed that the left and right channels didn't have a significant difference between them (meaning apparently monaural sound). It completely drove me crazy when using my Shure HTS-5000 surround sound decoder. As long as there was significant stereo content the dialog would be correctly anchored front center. I didn't have a pro-logic decoder at the time, and probably not too many did as they were first available in 1987. However when a stereo program was primarily dialog the broadcaster's stereo synthesizer would kick in (as the audio was apparently monaural), and dialog would be coming from every direction with an echo.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #2542

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Yes, I'm very glad that they remastered the 7.1 from the original elements, rather than just trying to up-convert from the previous stereo surround. I simply would have preferred that the English Stereo 2.0 track have been the original 2.0 surround mix rather than a mix-down of the new 7.1.

On Night Terrors from 19:32 to 20:05 note that Riker twice looks back toward the camera. You can hear Riker's footsteps and the music. On the foreign language tracks only, there are creaks to which Riker is reacting that are not present on either of the English language tracks. Apparently this subtle audio element was missed in the 7.1 master, which was then down mixed to create the English Stereo 2.0. This suggests that the foreign language tracks are from the original broadcast master, and the English Stereo 2.0 is not. I believe the DVD audio track for Night Terrors includes the creaks.
I did hear something with the headphones, very soft, not the same sound, but, just because the foreign audio tracks has this audio element, does not necessarily mean the English 2.0 audio track is a mix down from the 7.1 track. It's supposed to be from the original broadcast master. The foreign audio is Monophonic, and I noticed the sound effects vary in how they sound for each language, not sure why that is.

You may have found an error that was unintentional, perhaps from the english audio masters, I have also noticed sometimes that the communicator or tricorder sounds seem to be missing, but, if I turn it up louder, they are there, but kind of soft, (7.1), I'll have to check the other audio tracks next time I notice this.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #2543

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
On Night Terrors from 19:32 to 20:05 note that Riker twice looks back toward the camera. You can hear Riker's footsteps and the music. On the foreign language tracks only, there are creaks to which Riker is reacting that are not present on either of the English language tracks. Apparently this subtle audio element was missed in the 7.1 master, which was then down mixed to create the English Stereo 2.0. This suggests that the foreign language tracks are from the original broadcast master, and the English Stereo 2.0 is not. I believe the DVD audio track for Night Terrors includes the creaks.
I was watching this episode again, I think you caught an error, not sure if it was newly made or if they went by some master that had this error, whether that be the original broadcast master or DVD master. I think this would have been caught if season 4 had been done by CBS instead of outsourced.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #2544
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
California

I know some people said there were some glitches on this set how do I tell if mine has it?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60.
VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #2545
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
I know some people said there were some glitches on this set how do I tell if mine has it?
Fixed version has a yellow UPC code.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #2546
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Now just $20 for the whole first season at amzn. What a steal! +++ If you were waiting until this got crazy-cheap, now's your time....
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #2547
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

YEEEEEES! I just pulled the trigger and clicked on ORDER NOW as son as I saw that price. Grab while it's low, it isn't going to stay that way.
Thanks given by:
benbess (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #2548

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
YEEEEEES! I just pulled the trigger and clicked on ORDER NOW as son as I saw that price. Grab while it's low, it isn't going to stay that way.
The other seasons are priced great as well right now. Just pulled the trigger on Seasons 1-6. Grand total was $175.21 which comes out to $29.20 a season.
Thanks given by:
benbess (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #2549
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
The other seasons are priced great as well right now. Just pulled the trigger on Seasons 1-6. Grand total was $175.21 which comes out to $29.20 a season.
Season 3 dropped in price, did you get it for the cheaper 26.xx price or for 31.xx?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #2550

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Season 3 dropped in price, did you get it for the cheaper 26.xx price or for 31.xx?
Yes. Well for $27.26 anyway.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #2551
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Yes. Well for $27.26 anyway.
This is why I hate amazon. they change the prices way too often and way too fast
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America