COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$86.29
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Messengers / Freedomland (Blu-ray)
$3.57
2010: The Year We Make Contact (Blu-ray)
$6.36
The Bourne Legacy (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Counselor (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 2 5.41%
Two Stars 5 13.51%
Three Stars 13 35.14%
Four Stars 14 37.84%
Five Stars 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #61
Power Member

Dec 2009
Singapore
-

I didn't realise that the film was just recently released and thought it was out for quite a while.

Caught it today and loved it.

Quote:
This Is 40 speaks the universal truth of family and relationships in which we can all relate to. We will grow old and we will face problems and we almost always lament the fact that we are never ready to deal with these problems. The film never tells us how Pete and Debbie will resolve of its issues but that is beside the point because we know that they have each other and if they can harrow through these episodes, they will harrow through whatever storm. To borrow some of the crudeness from the film, "S*** happens" but we just have to make sure we "keep calm and carry on" (and yes, that is a small joke from the film).

If there ever is a This Is 50, I will want to watch it.

5/5

Full review: http://watchordontwatch.blogspot.com/
Setup: Sony 32'' LCD, Sony Playstation 3, Sony BDV-E800W 5.1 Wireless Blu-ray Home Theater system.

My budding movie-review blog. Do provide comments that would help me improve.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #62
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

3/10

Besides a few funny lines, it was painful to sit though. the older daughter got on my nerves big time.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #63

Dec 2012
Eastern PA

Should have been called 'This Is 40 Minutes Too Long'. I thought it ran too long and didn't have enough laughs.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #64
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
(Currently Bangor, PA) But One Day Hopefully Hollywood, California

If you're a fan of Apatow's films, then you know his films like to run long.
I have a horror script I wrote called "Truth Or Dare" It's very Scream like influenced. If interested in reading it. Please PM me.
My Blu rays for sale Thread

"Sooner or later, I'll do something with my life. And make my mark. But until then, whatever I do is not a waste of time it's all building towards something"
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #65

Dec 2012
Eastern PA

I knew that going in, but at least 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up had good LPM (laughs per minute).
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
PA

I never saw Knocked Up and have no interest in seeing it. I thought this movie was alright though. It had some moments that made me really laugh for one reason or another, ie. just funny or things I could relate to.

Favorite part was the scene when Paul Rudd says something oh like if I say I'm sorry you won't throw it in my face later on? If you've been married chances are there's been at least once (or many) times when out of nowhere your wife brings up something, no matter how minuscule, that happened years ago, and says something like... like the time when _____.

The movie did seem a bit long. 20-30mins shorter could have tightened things up a bit. Really, if this was closer to 100 mins, it would be something I'd consider buying. But I typically don't like my comedies to run too long... most likely for the same reason as most others, if the movie doesn't have enough jokes and such to fill the time, it starts to drag and you don't want to be bored during any movie, let alone a comedy.

I'd give it 3.5/5

I can easily see unmarried or people under 30 not liking this one cause there's probably just not much they can relate to and that does make a difference.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #67
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
(Currently Bangor, PA) But One Day Hopefully Hollywood, California

I liked the movie fine and I'm 31 nor am I married. It's just not a funny, but also has those dramatic moments, so i guess that's not suppose to be funny at the moment.
I have a horror script I wrote called "Truth Or Dare" It's very Scream like influenced. If interested in reading it. Please PM me.
My Blu rays for sale Thread

"Sooner or later, I'll do something with my life. And make my mark. But until then, whatever I do is not a waste of time it's all building towards something"
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #68

Dec 2012
Eastern PA

I'm 31 and married, and I saw some things that I could relate to...I just didn't think it was funny. I also hope that we're never like that couple!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #69
Power Member

Dec 2009
Singapore
-

Not married and not even 30 and yet I loved it.
Setup: Sony 32'' LCD, Sony Playstation 3, Sony BDV-E800W 5.1 Wireless Blu-ray Home Theater system.

My budding movie-review blog. Do provide comments that would help me improve.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #70
Expert Member

Nov 2009
Calgary
Send a message via Yahoo to chaingunsofdoom

Gave this a 4/5 on the poll. One of the best comedies of the year IMHO. Main cast was great: Leslie Mann, Paul Rudd, the 2 Apatow kids. Megan Fox was great.

Seeing hockey players (Flyers/ex-Flyers) in it was a total bizarro moment on the day they decided we'd get half a season.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #71
Banned

Aug 2011

I just got done watching this. Wow. This movie was way better than it should've been. I laughed quite a few times. The trailer didn't do the movie justice IMO. I loved the drama of it as well. This is Apatow's best film IMO. I was never bored and loved every minute of it. I'll definitely be getting this on blu-ray.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #72
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeberg View Post
Should have been called 'This Is 40 Minutes Too Long'. I thought it ran too long and didn't have enough laughs.
Chris O'Dowd's 'Ronnie' was rather pointless and unnecessary

generally thought I liked the movie, not great, but good
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #73
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Alaska

I thought it was okay.

It was about as good as 'Funny People', which wasn't very funny or interesting. Not a fan of his casting either (starring his wife and kids? lol)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies