Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.98
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #221
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'm only rocking a mere 55" screen, but even so I cannot reconcile Impossible's comments with the disc I have. The grain does indeed spike in certain scenes, but others are entirely grain free, and this even changes from shot to shot.

Take the first scene at Top Gun when Jester (Michael Ironside) is explaining about the kill ratios; when the room is dark, the image is naturally grainy owing to the faster stock that's needed, but when the blinds are opened and we cut to the side shot of Jester introducing Viper, the grain is gone. It reappears when we cut back to the wide angle because it's part of the prior shot, but when Viper walks in the grain is gone again because the lighting is fine. Skerrit's close-ups look crisp and sharp.

If anyone's getting grain from start to finish in that particular scene then something's wrong in your display chain. I dread to ask this, given the tendancy for people to get tetchy about it, but have you (or someone) calibrated your screen Impossible?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #222
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I'm only rocking a mere 55" screen, but even so I cannot reconcile Impossible's comments with the disc I have. The grain does indeed spike in certain scenes, but others are entirely grain free, and this even changes from shot to shot.

Take the first scene at Top Gun when Jester (Michael Ironside) is explaining about the kill ratios; when the room is dark, the image is naturally grainy owing to the faster stock that's needed, but when the blinds are opened and we cut to the side shot of Jester introducing Viper, the grain is gone. It reappears when we cut back to the wide angle because it's part of the prior shot, but when Viper walks in the grain is gone again because the lighting is fine. Skerrit's close-ups look crisp and sharp.

If anyone's getting grain from start to finish in that particular scene then something's wrong in your display chain. I dread to ask this, given the tendancy for people to get tetchy about it, but have you (or someone) calibrated your screen Impossible?
I'm not talking about the grain, the grain really isn't the problem, its the terrible image quality of anything that isn't the flying scenes which look fine, that is the problem.

It is calibrated for 2D, but not 3D as they're all over the place usually. Some are way too dark or have shite contrast etc so my 3D settings do get changed quite a bit to make different films look better. As I said I spent pretty much the whole film trying to get it to look good, it never did no matter what I did.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #223
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Burlington, Vermont Steelbooks-125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I have a projector and 100' screen so obviously everything is magnified, but it is by far (apart from the digitally grained Don't Look Now) the worst looking bluray I own.
Oh, ok, that makes sense, i was definitely taken aback with the heavy grain in 3d. Im just glad it wasnt constant.
Samsung Smart LED 3DTV 120hz Model - un40d6420
Panasonic 3D Bluray player Model - DMP-BDT320(Multiregion)
Magnavox Bluray player Model - NB530MGX
Xbox 360 4gb
Monster Powercentre model - HT700
Samsung Active 3D glasses model - SSG-3050GB x
For Trade:Captain America TWS Bestbuy excl steelbook/sealed PM if interested

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #224
Suspended

Mar 2013

Well I have been going back and forth on buying this and I finally bought it. I have a S7500 series 60 inch 240 hertz Smart Samsung. I will probably do a review of it at some point. Hopefully I really enjoy it as it's one of my favorite films from the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #225
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I'm not talking about the grain, the grain really isn't the problem, its the terrible image quality of anything that isn't the flying scenes which look fine, that is the problem.

It is calibrated for 2D, but not 3D as they're all over the place usually. Some are way too dark or have shite contrast etc so my 3D settings do get changed quite a bit to make different films look better. As I said I spent pretty much the whole film trying to get it to look good, it never did no matter what I did.
Fair enough. A 3D calibration is a whole 'nuther ball game, although personally I've used my 2D settings as the benchmark and made slight adjustments from there. I can appreciate that you don't dig the colour, but I'm just not getting this brown wash that you're seeing. It's hella teal and orangey, natch, but within that gamut there is obvious variation in skin tones, and reds look like reds, greens look like greens etc. Blue skies err towards teal, but the deeper blue on something like the American flag looks perfectly fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #226
Suspended

Mar 2013

This movie is STUNNING in 3D. I mean AMAZING. I just watch it in 3D. Perhaps those who are having issues with the PQ have something wrong with their set.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #227
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOFELD View Post
This movie is STUNNING in 3D. I mean AMAZING. I just watch it in 3D. Perhaps those who are having issues with the PQ have something wrong with their set.
Yes every other blu-ray I own looks amazing, it must be my set
Old 06-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #228
Banned

Aug 2011

Does anyone know if there's going to be anything different about the version coming out July 1st? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Top-Gun-Blu-ray/103100/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America