COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bankers of God: The Calvi Affair (Blu-ray)
$17.23
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$16.17

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which are you going to buy?
Demons Limited Steelbook 174 46.90%
Demons 2 Limited Steelbook 141 38.01%
Waiting for Demons standard release 191 51.48%
Waiting for Demons 2 standard release 142 38.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #2141

Apr 2011

Just quickly browsed the comments, they go back a ways so I went to the Synapse site to check on the [movie only] standard version for $24.95 and could find little on the specs yet the steel-book is listed as a BD50. Does anyone know if the movie only version is also a BD50 or did they leave that out because they will do the BD25 hat-trick? Might explain the lack of the Italian track if so.

I am kind of up in the air with this release since I normally do not buy blu-rays at boutique prices even tho this is the only region A release of this film to my recollection.

"Demons" 1985 is a "so bad, it's good" Italian movie with terrible dialog "It's the Movie...Stop the Movie!" ..Get It?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #2142
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvadr View Post
Just quickly browsed the comments, they go back a ways so I went to the Synapse site to check on the [movie only] standard version for $24.95 and could find little on the specs yet the steel-book is listed as a BD50. Does anyone know if the movie only version is also a BD50 or did they leave that out because they will do the BD25 hat-trick? Might explain the lack of the Italian track if so.
Nobody knows yet, but it's very possible that these standard releases will be on BD25.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #2143

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Nobody knows yet, but it's very possible that these standard releases will be on BD25.
So most likely the Steel-book BD50 (2-disc) will include the extra's and the DVD is just a standard copy without the extra's is what I was thinking.

I think you are right Detroit on the [movie only edition blu-ray] a BD25 with no Italian track makes sense and really does not bother me since I will be watching the English version which is what makes this film so much fun the English dialog is so badly done it just takes this film to a whole new level of so bad yet so good!

Last edited by nvadr; 08-29-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #2144

Jun 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvadr View Post
So most likely the Steel-book BD50 (2-disc) will include the extra's and the DVD is just a standard copy without the extra's is what I was thinking.

I think you are right Detroit on the [movie only edition blu-ray] a BD25 with no Italian track makes sense and really does not bother me since I will be watching the English version which is what makes this film so much fun the English dialog is so badly done it just takes this film to a whole new level of so bad yet so good!
You don't need to guess what the steelbooks will have, they were released last year. Just look for a review if you want to know what's on the DVDs.

As I stated on the page before, on the steelbook bd50s, the encodes are a smidge too large .

The encodes are 25.56 GB & 25.25 GB right now. The first one (.56) has two lossless audio tracks are probably going to be pruned (commentary & Italian audio), so getting it to fit on a bd25 should be easy.

The second one, the .25, will have a bit of a tougher road. It can only get one removed, and I'm having a tough time thinking of a bd25 with the raw encode over 22gb.
Thanks given by:
nvadr (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #2145

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvs View Post
You don't need to guess what the steelbooks will have, they were released last year. Just look for a review if you want to know what's on the DVDs.

As I stated on the page before, on the steelbook bd50s, the encodes are a smidge too large .

The encodes are 25.56 GB & 25.25 GB right now. The first one (.56) has two lossless audio tracks are probably going to be pruned (commentary & Italian audio), so getting it to fit on a bd25 should be easy.

The second one, the .25, will have a bit of a tougher road. It can only get one removed, and I'm having a tough time thinking of a bd25 with the raw encode over 22gb.
I am good with a 25 GiB release and hardly ever peek at extra's just someone who doesn't want to know the magic behind the camera. A trailer would be nice tho. I hope they keep the original poster art for the case, I can't stand some of the artwork being used these days, call me nostalgic.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 AM   #2146

Oct 2013
San Jose California

I would be thrilled if these were thrown on a BD50 as it would undoubtedly make the transfer even more stellar especially on a very large display however that would be quite unfair to the adopters of the steel so probably unlikely.

I would quadruple dip into the Demons pool for this.

Last edited by Christopher Morgan; 09-03-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #2147
Special Member

Mar 2011

Yay! Standard release of Demons and it has artwork I actually like!

Wait...they're not including all the audio tracks of the prior disc... skip again, I guess. I can deal without the extras, but the audio tracks missing just might be a dealbreaker for me. I could do without the extensive extras, though the old basics like the trailer and the commentary track found on all the earlier DVD releases would be disappointing to lose.
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange.

Last edited by Brian81; 09-10-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #2148
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasmaskAvenger View Post
Plus, this might be a personal bias, but I find the heavy metal/hard rock soundtrack of the first film to be much stronger than the gothic/post-post soundtrack of Demons 2. You cannot beat a movie with a katana motorcycle attack set to Accept's Fast as a Shark at all and Billy Idol's "White Wedding" playing as some dumb punk kids snort coke out of a can of Coca Cola.

Still, i'm glad I own them both. I hope Synapse will put out an equally kick-ass steelbook release of "The Church".
I love many of the songs on the soundtrack but hate their inclusion in the movie. Same thing with PHENOMENA. Instrumental scores are way better than throwing in existing popular music songs throughout. Sometimes it's alright I guess...FAST TIMES for example does the same, but it doesn't bother me as much as DEMONS and PHENOMENA (why "Flash of the Blade" during that final scene...why? why?).

Quote:
Agreed. They're "rewarding" those who paid the extra money for the limited releases, not alienating them. If they went ahead and gave the same discs with the standard releases, few people would bother with any more future limited editions and wait for standards.

Don't be surprised if Suspiria is handled in a similar fashion.
If they do, I sure hope they don't put it in ugly newly commissioned artwork like they did for the Demons films. Having to pay extra for a collectible case, where you don't even like the collectible case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
Both of the previous Anchor Bay DVD releases only contained the English audio track.

Prior to the blu-ray releases, I don't believe the Italian audio was available on home video? Could be wrong though.
But they included the trailer, a "Behind the Scenes Featurette", and an audio commentary with the the director. I would hate to see these lost...they're minimal, and they're old extras. At this point they're like those EPK features on Universal discs where you would assume that they'd be included on a disc by default.

Blue Underground handled their releases of Zombie much better than Synapse here. You had the "Special Edition" release which had the movie and audio tracks along with the basic legacy extras from the prior DVD releases (trailers, radio spots, etc) on one disc and the newly commissioned extras and interviews on a second disc. Later on came the standard/budget release, which simply omitted the second disc. You still had the same feature and audio, along with the extras everyone is accustomed to.

Quote:
As someone said earlier, there might have been extra licensing costs to include the Italian audio beyond the already released 3,000 copies.
I have read here before that the smallest Steelbook run one can have made is 3000 units, so that's more likely to be the reason why the run was the way it was, rather than being limited by including the Italian audio.
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange.

Last edited by Brian81; 09-10-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #2149
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Blue Underground handled their releases of Zombie much better than Synapse here.
Except of course with respect to tiny things like picture quality.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #2150
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
Except of course with respect to tiny things like picture quality.
Yeah, except that one. Speaking more on the handling of the "edition" specifics.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #2151
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

After beating around the bush for months and me being a grumpy old man, I ended up ordering both after all.

Never thought it would come to this. For me, it is still a very high price for movies that I am really not that particularly fond of. I consider both to be second tier, and most importantly I still loathe steelbooks.

So what changed? Well, I would have been all over the standard releases had it not been for the fact that they cut the Italian soundtrack option. I could easily live without the extras, but the thought of missing out on the soundtrack was a bit too much.

Well played, Synapse, you bastards!
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America