COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Code:Breaker: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.80
Under the Skin (Blu-ray)
$17.89
Sharks 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #461
Special Member

Jan 2013
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyC View Post
i havn't bought a blu-ray in 3 months..
i think i'm done with it...

i am only going to buy special editions with a bunch of swag and stuff...

i have like 200 blu-rays and the last time i watched one was like 4 months ago.

i have realized that i am not much of a movie person... i love them but movies require your whole attention. sometimes for 3 hours..too much for me.

i much prefer collecting music. i can multitask with music and to be honest my ears have always been better than my eyes. my money is going to music from now on.
I collect vinyl records in addition to blu-rays. I feel that it's just as rewarding and sometimes more so, but I wouldn't want to give up either. I'd rather split my money and time between two things I enjoy rather than focusing all my attention on one thing, but that just me. I tend to go all out when I get into a new hobby, which usually results in me losing interest not long after--having multiple hobbies helps to prevent me from getting burned out from them.

As to the original question, I've loved movies for as long as I can remember, so I can't anticipate ever giving up collecting entirely. Sure, I go through periods of buying more or not buying as much, but I can't ever foresee selling off my collection entirely.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #462

Aug 2011

While I respect the opinions of people who decide they need to sell off the majority of their collections, I could just never do it.

I realize that the money I spent could have been better served for other purposes but my personal feeling is that I spent the money when I could afford to do so and it's already gone. Selling them will only get back pennies on the dollar so I might as well keep them and go forward spending less.

I have friends who sell and then end up re-buying. Now that is a waste because they end up losing allot more money in the process.

Allot of the titles on my wishlist now are movies that haven't been announced. I'd like to think I'll be slowing down soon but the wife would probably laugh if she read this.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #463
Power Member

Mar 2011
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfridebuzz View Post
While I respect the opinions of people who decide they need to sell off the majority of their collections, I could just never do it.

I realize that the money I spent could have been better served for other purposes but my personal feeling is that I spent the money when I could afford to do so and it's already gone. Selling them will only get back pennies on the dollar so I might as well keep them and go forward spending less.

I have friends who sell and then end up re-buying. Now that is a waste because they end up losing allot more money in the process.

Allot of the titles on my wishlist now are movies that haven't been announced. I'd like to think I'll be slowing down soon but the wife would probably laugh if she read this.

I kind of feel the same way, although I do sell/trade my DVDs to go towards new Blu-ray purchases. For the longest time I thought it was a stupid decision based on what others told me, but usually I can take a stake of 7-10 DVDs and get a free Blu-ray (sometimes 2 if there's a sale). Since my default these days is to reach over to the Blu-ray since, I don't mind getting rid of DVDs....I mean, I gotta make room, otherwise I will have to say "enough is enough" for a while.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #464

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post
I kind of feel the same way, although I do sell/trade my DVDs to go towards new Blu-ray purchases. For the longest time I thought it was a stupid decision based on what others told me, but usually I can take a stake of 7-10 DVDs and get a free Blu-ray (sometimes 2 if there's a sale). Since my default these days is to reach over to the Blu-ray since, I don't mind getting rid of DVDs....I mean, I gotta make room, otherwise I will have to say "enough is enough" for a while.

I am the same way. I sell or use the DVDs for upgrade and save's after I have obtained the Blu ray version of it. I'm not big on getting rid of anything that I don't yet have another version of. Part of my OCD.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #465
Power Member

Mar 2011
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfridebuzz View Post
I am the same way. I sell or use the DVDs for upgrade and save's after I have obtained the Blu ray version of it. I'm not big on getting rid of anything that I don't yet have another version of. Part of my OCD.
OCD kindred spirits, hahaha
I understand you on that point, but I'm actually learning how to let stuff go, which is somewhat therapeutic for me. I just start to doubt myself only when someone goes "But, that's out of print" which I hesitate, but in the end...everything will be out of print eventually. Besides, I'm in grad school and I don't make hardly any money, so DVDs help me get the new stuff for cheap (or free mostly). If I TRULY want it back, I'll get it back when I pick up financially.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #466

Dec 2011

I keep my collection relatively small and rarely blind buy, so I doubt I'll ever have this problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #467

Sep 2012

Quote:
It pays to take caution even when evaluating whether or not to purchase a newly-released restoration of an obscure cult film, though. I found this out the hard way on DVD a few times.
"This horror film was only in theaters for a week, and has been unseen by the masses, but it is generally acknowledged as one of the primary influences of the Friday the 13th series...", etc. etc. etc.
I would buy a DVD along these lines, watch it that night, and realize that the reason this particular movie "was only in theaters for a week, and has been unseen by the masses" is because the movie sucks.
This. I went through a ton of obscure cult DVDs from Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, Something Weird, Mondo Macabro, Severin, etc. before truly realizing that the bulk of these movies, as curious as some of them may have been, are probably better left read about, not watched. Most of them just plain stunk, actually, and the few that were entertaining in a train wreck kind of way I typically only watched a second time and not again. Just way too much money for curious but ultimately crappy movies. I don't mind "so bad it's good", but I don't have to spend $15-$20 a pop to OWN these kinds of movies, either. If Something Weird had a Redbox, I'd be very interested. But that's about it.

No offense to people who like these films. I was into this stuff for YEARS. But as the discs piled up and the money continued to be spent, I just realized that I didn't care for this stuff anymore. There's still a passing interest in some of the weirder stuff, but it's no longer something I care about enough to spend good money on.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #468
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Eh, I've been cutting back, as I need a new car, and I'm moving. I'm still buying, but I'm on hiatus for the next few months (at least once I get the Ghibli releases in May, those are the only titles I'm getting between now and August/September), as I have a whole slew of BDs and DVDs to watch, plus I have a netflix acccount, uncapped internet, and unblock us. I'm not lacking for content to watch, as I'm not as fussy about PQ as some people on this forum are. Some of the stuff I enjoy viewing only comes in DVD/VHS/streaming etc., which shouldn't prevent someone from watching it just because it's not Blu-ray.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #469
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

OK I mean starting today!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #470

Mar 2013

I've started have this compulsion to buy more blus as well. I recently went on a little buying frenzy. In the past week, I've ordered 8 movies. One of them came today. I'm expecting the other 5 packages to come over the course of the this week and next. I do keep myself from feeling buyer's remorse by hunting for deals and mostly picking quality films that I know I want in my collection.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America