COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Code:Breaker: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.80
Under the Skin (Blu-ray)
$17.89
Sharks 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After you have seen it)
One Star 1 1.92%
Two Stars 6 11.54%
Three Stars 6 11.54%
Four Stars 15 28.85%
Five Stars 24 46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #241
Power Member

Sep 2008
The £كا

I'm not sure where the notion of "picking up hitchhikers" came from?
It may be in the novel, but there were no hitchhikers in the film.

She was just looking for unattached, solitary men that were out and about doing their daily activities.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #242
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Not that keen on the plot overview, probably wouldn't had worked on the big screen. I think Glazer chose correctly to go in a different direction and aim his assault on more organic and universal ideas that suit the big screen. The novel would just sound like a bumpy, jarring sitting if it was directly applied.
Oh, I'm not denying that.

Whereas the film is often ambiguous at times, the novel seems to have a pretty easy to follow story.
La double vie de moi.
iScottie's Storefront
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #243
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Chicago

Read a bit of the book and the films tone worked for me much better.
Past a certain point there's a futility in responsibility.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #244
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Yup.
The novel sounds dumb.
Like The Shining, the movie is better than the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Oh, I'm not denying that.

Whereas the film is often ambiguous at times, the novel seems to have a pretty easy to follow story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Not that keen on the plot overview, probably wouldn't had worked on the big screen. I think Glazer chose correctly to go in a different direction and aim his assault on more organic and universal ideas that suit the big screen. The novel would just sound like a bumpy, jarring sitting if it was directly applied.

Why judge a novel you haven't read ? The book and the film are two very different things, however the novel is brilliant and in the vein of allegorical satire like Swift or Orwell, something the film doesn't even attempt. I also think that a completely different adaptation could have been made, one which sticks closer to the novel, but which still works. It would just have been a far more expensive film and that too would have had to be a consideration as to why Glazer took a more minimalist approach as his budget was quite limited.

Much as I like the film, it does strip the plot of the novel of meaning. I found the novel and the central character Isserly's predicament far more emotionally affecting in the book. Instead of the many themes the novel touches upon, we get a lot of ambiguity in the film and a theme that has been mined many times in science fiction, what it means to be human and how an alien creature learns about that. The novel however dealt with a lot more beyond that. And while I like ambiguities in films, it's also an approach which can mask a certain emptiness of ideas and it's not that original when you watch a lot of art house films. The novel isn't meant to be ambiguous, it's about very concrete things like class differences, love and the arrogance with which we rule over animals and it tackles all of it with originality and intelligence and without being didactic. And Michael Faber is no horror novel hack, but a brilliant writer who has the gift to take you to a world and into someone's heart with his beautiful command of words. He is as skilled a writer as Glazer is a skilled director.

I respect Glazer's decision to make the film his own and the film works, but Im not sure why one would have to trash one (especially just because of a synopsis and second hand opinions) when both are great works of art in their own right, but if I absolutely had to pick, it would be the book.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; Yesterday at 11:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
jamesdevil (Today), welcometothepartypal (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies