Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Fargo: Year Two (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Journey to Space 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$88.85
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$64.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.96
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.99
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #381
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Joel Grey (Remo Williams) and Joseph Wiseman (Dr. No) were Caucasian actors and both played Asians in movies, nobody seemed to be offended by those two examples
Surprised nobody mentioned David Carradine in Kung Fu.
JVC DLA-RS400, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #382
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Joel Grey (Remo Williams) and Joseph Wiseman (Dr. No) were Caucasian actors and both played Asians in movies, nobody seemed to be offended by those two examples
But neither of these two portrayed the racist, stereotypical Asian.

Mickey Rooney was done up with not just pulled back eyes, the makeup department added buck teeth. The costume department added the glasses: round stereotypical black frames as seen in propaganda posters/art. Then he was directed to use an "Asian" accent: replacing his Ls for Rs and Rs for Ls.

Joseph Wiseman already had norrow eyes and he spoke without the "accent."

Joel Grey used makeup prosthetics to norrow his eye and elongate his face. But again, nothing stereotypically racist about his look. Well, unless you count the moustache but that's Hong Kong cinema's fault.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #383
Power Member

Sep 2013

When this movie came to TV in late 60s/early 70s our family watched it and my dad turned to us and said "wow what a great actor Mickey Rooney is" he was referring to how well he captured a Japanese person.

My parents were immigrants from Korea [1950s] and also lived under Japanese rule. Both speak Korean and Japanese, so they've been around the Japanese during their young lives.

So my parents weren't offended but thought his performance was great.

From another perspective: Bruce Lee hated it. He lived in the Bay Area same time we did.

I wasn't offended either and even today watching the movie it doesn't offend me. It's better to have "thick-skin" you can't go to war with everyone who offends you.
Thanks given by:
hockeyshark91 (05-15-2016), Trax-3 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #384
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankyouforthevenom View Post
I don't buy the 'it was ok back then' line. The ordinary person in the street has always used lazy racist stereotypes and probably always will. Actors will generally take the money and not even think about it. But the director really ought to know better, and probably did. Especially as it is totally out of character with the movie. It simply isn't vaguely funny, just downright weird. The main thing wrong with it is the context, not the era. If it was in Austin Powers or The Interview, it wouldn't stand out. In this movie, it just looks utterly crass.

If you are of that particular ethnic group, and you sit down to watch one of those movies i mentioned, you wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised by it. You may or may not find it funny, i have no idea. But shoe-horning a ridiculously inaccurate racial stereotype in a movie like this just seems like pandering to lazy racism for the sake of a cheap laugh. Like you can't watch a bloody thing without getting the piss taken out of your ethnicity. I nearly typed razy lacism there, but i resisted the temptation. Or did i?
But it WAS okay back then. The director shouldn't have known better, because everyone didn't get bent out of shape at every little thing. And if they did, there wasn't the all-mighty Internet to post your "opinion."

You know, Al Jolsen in blackface was okay back then, too.
Thanks given by:
Trax-3 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #385
Power Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
But it WAS okay back then. The director shouldn't have known better, because everyone didn't get bent out of shape at every little thing. And if they did, there wasn't the all-mighty Internet to post your "opinion."

You know, Al Jolsen in blackface was okay back then, too.
Again for me and our family, not a big deal

If you look at everything though 21st Century eyes then everything is racist.

Seinfeld got it right, young people really don't know the meaning of the word [racist].

and it's the activists who make the news and get all bent out of shape, most people don't really care.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #386
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Brazil

One of my favorite films with one of my favorite endings.
I love the whole sequence inside the taxi and in the rain.
''You sold your soul to the devil when you put on your first pair of Jimmy Choo's, I saw it.'' - Emily Charlton

If anyone who lives or will come to Brazil is selling/trading The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 40th Anniversary Edition (any edition from any country, with english subtitles), please PM me
Old 11-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #387

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50strat54 View Post
When this movie came to TV in late 60s/early 70s our family watched it and my dad turned to us and said "wow what a great actor Mickey Rooney is" he was referring to how well he captured a Japanese person.

My parents were immigrants from Korea [1950s] and also lived under Japanese rule. Both speak Korean and Japanese, so they've been around the Japanese during their young lives.

From another perspective: Bruce Lee hated it. He lived in the Bay Area same time we did.

I wasn't offended either and even today watching the movie it doesn't offend me. It's better to have "thick-skin" you can't go to war with everyone who offends you.
It's interesting to read your experience and viewpoint. Thanks.

I'm a Euro-American, and like to think I'm very sensitive to diversity and how it's portrayed in films and TV. I used to love Breakfast at Tiffany's, but in the last year or two, Rooney's portrayal turns me off to the entire film. I can usually just move past those scenes and enjoy the rest of it, but sometimes I don't want to continue watching.

It's one thing to know that most people wouldn't have been offended in 1963, but that doesn't make it easier for us to overlook it in 2015.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #388
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

People are so touchy today. Anything you say or do is racist. Breakfast at Tiffany's was a product of it's time. Not saying it was right, but it is what it is.
JVC DLA-RS400, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #389
Special Member

Oct 2010
Baltimore, MD
Default Racey or Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50strat54 View Post

Our family are from SE Asia, while I don't remember other movies with these specifics (at this moment), when we watched BAT, we thought it was just satirical/exaggerated humor. At the time, I didn't know what racism was. I was young. I didn't realize the complexity of the issue. My mom thought it was funny and somewhat scary but I don't recall her saying it was offensive. At the first scene, we were rather confused by what was going on but we all laughed as the movie went on.

I'd wished I could've asked my grandmother, who was Chinese, about what she thought/her perspective. Unfortunately we never got the opportunity to watch the film together before she passed.

When I got older and watched it again, I couldn't believe how insulting and embarrassing it is/was. I didn't find it offensive, as others have pointed out, since it's a product of the time.

I still love this movie and the scenes and music in it.
I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.
Thanks given by:
oildude (11-07-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #390

Jul 2009

Putting aside the Rooney character, I've always loved this movie because it reminds me of when I was young and living in an apartment in DC. That's when you're open to all the crazy folks who live in your building and elsewhere, the wild parties, etc. On top of that is the heartbreaking story of how Holly wanted to forget her family and her roots and tried to become a different person.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #391

Dec 2009

Can anyone explain why this movie looks so good? I would compare it to some of the VistaVision movies I have seen as far as clarity and this is just a standard format. Is it because the negative was preserved better than most other movies?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America