Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dead-End Drive-In (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Orphan Black: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Penny Dreadful: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #261
Power Member

Feb 2011

You really need to check out part 2; as another poster mentioned, it's justly regarded as a camp classic.

The rest are eminently forgettable. I watched them repeatedly as a kid (VHS rental houses tended to stock them religiously) and I seem to remember that one of them (5? 6?) is dreadful beyond belief. And I think the fourth one is some kind of "starting from scratch" remake.

I think the first two are really all you need to concern yourself with.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #262
Expert Member

Dec 2010
California (Orange County)

Howling VI: The Freaks is my favorite Howling sequel.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #263
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I agree 2 is probably worth getting if you love campy 80's trash. I remember III being worth watching, though I doubt I would ever buy it. It was on Netflix a while back, not sure it still is.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #264

Oct 2015
Bangor, ME

Sounds like it's a pretty mixed bag at best. I think I'll check out Shout's release of Howling II as I can't resist campy schlockfests. After that... We'll see if I'm dying for some more lycanthropes!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #265
Expert Member

Nov 2007
NY

I love III as a relic of pure 80's Ozploitation insanity, but not as a Howling sequel.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #266
Power Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Sounds like it's a pretty mixed bag at best. I think I'll check out Shout's release of Howling II as I can't resist campy schlockfests. After that... We'll see if I'm dying for some more lycanthropes!
Beware of the..."monkey phase"!
"Red, white, BLU is in the sky..."
Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #267
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

All of the Howling sequels are crap, but in varying degrees and in different ways. Personally, I find Part 2 a boring dud, even with Sybil Danning's boobs. Others love it for its camp factor and I get that. 3 and 4, I can never remember which one is which. I think 3 is the better one, but if they're both that unmemorable, who cares? #5, also don't remember a thing so that's not a good sign (was it the boring one in a castle?), but I haven't watched most of these since they first hit VHS. OK, I do recall liking #6 the most of all the sequels - set in a carny and a more interesting plot. That's probably the best.

But then "New Moon Rising" (aka #7) comes out and there are no words. Actually, it could be the most memorable of all the sequels simply because of how unbelievably wretched it is. Filmed in a real California honkytonk country town (I think it was called Pioneertown) using the locals as many of the actors, there's more country singing and line-dancing than there is any werewolf action. I'd say the ratio is about 98% country stuff/2% werewolf. All on a shoestring budget. All that said, it's a fascinating train wreck that you won't believe was ever financed and made under the Howling banner. It's one of the most absurd supposed 'horror' sequels ever made, as it's 2% horror at the most. I find it to be fascinating in its ineptitude, but no one else does, and I think even New Line said years ago that they decided against releasing it on DVD because it was simply so horrible. Warner, please release New Moon Rising on Blu!!! Then there's #8 - "Reborn" - netflixed that one and it's another completely forgettable piece of junk.

So, in the end, all I recall is #2 has Sybil Danning's boobs, and #7 has lots of country singing and line-dancing. So #6 wins because I liked the carnival location and something about the script must have been decent for me to remember it. 3-4-5, sorry, you lose because there's nothing distinct about you at all.
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (07-08-2016), Mr. Thomsen (07-08-2016), Russhole (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #268
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

3's the one with marsupial werewolves, and the ballet dancer that turns into a werewolf on stage. It's got "Jerboa" as the fur-pouch-bellied heroine and she's quite likable. It also has a ridiculous horror director character that I found amusing. I bought it out of a discount bin back in high school after seeing that ballet clip on badmovies.org and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I dunno if I've seen it since then, but I later saw 2 and didn't like that one at all. Who knows. Neither is going to win any awards!
Thanks given by:
schlock (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #269

Jan 2015

There was a time a few years back when Howling III The Marsupials was being sold on DVD for $1 at Fry's. According to the back cover, It's got a newly remastered transfer supervised by the director, newly re-mixed 5.1 soundtrack, director's commentary track, TV spot, promotional trailer and still photo gallery.

Wasn't going to pass that up, I thought I remembered this being the most well regarded of the sequels. I put it on in the background one time with the commentary track on, but still haven't really watched it. I need to finally check it out.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #270

Nov 2014
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi View Post
There was a time a few years back when Howling III The Marsupials was being sold on DVD for $1 at Fry's. According to the back cover, It's got a newly remastered transfer supervised by the director, newly re-mixed 5.1 soundtrack, director's commentary track, TV spot, promotional trailer and still photo gallery.

Wasn't going to pass that up, I thought I remembered this being the most well regarded of the sequels. I put it on in the background one time with the commentary track on, but still haven't really watched it. I need to finally check it out.
I still got the Elite DVD sealed. Maybe its time to crack it open...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #271
Power Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Howling III is great, dumb fun! Recommended.
"Red, white, BLU is in the sky..."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America