Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
9 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
19 hrs ago
Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$17.87
3 hrs ago
The 'Burbs (Blu-ray)
$14.12
11 hrs ago
What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (Blu-ray)
$25.19
19 hrs ago
Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93
21 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Cold Water (Blu-ray)
$27.37
7 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #681

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
One of the things I've been wanting to do is audition a pair of Totem WIND speakers. There is a dealer about an hour's drive from me that has them on display, or did anyway. I'm gonna call him and see. If he does still have them, I'm definately going for an audition. DLS_222 heard them when he was in Edmonton this summer and said they were the best speaker he has ever heard. I know, that's a pretty significant statement to make, but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they must be gems though!

I also want to go and audition some reasonably power amps, as I've been toying with the idea of going 2-channel 100%. In other words, I might sell my AVR and go with a stereo Integrated Amp or a Power/Pre combo. I'd have to check though if I could get a good price for my Yamaha HTR-6190B first.

It's only a thought, but I'm really leaning towards going that route. Music is 90% of my entertainment enjoyment, and I want better sound than the AVR can provide.

John
I think you should do it John . Its only an hour away from you !
If you take the whole day to do so I am sure they have others you would want to listen too as well !!
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV & enjoying the 4K Blu-rays.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #682
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaWiz View Post
I am guessing Sam Walton is the owner of Sam's club?
Yes, he is the founder of Wal-Mart, the parent company of Sam's Club. They used to have a huge office in Dallas, TX.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 10-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #683
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Corpus Christi, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
Yes, he is the founder of Wal-Mart, the parent company of Sam's Club. They used to have a huge office in Dallas, TX.
Cool. Did not know that.
Call Me Michael Or Mike
Bedroom HT
Front Stage: Polk Monitor 60 (x2) and Polk CS2 - Surrounds: Polk R150s (x2)(Thank You Todd!) - Sub(s) Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 - Equipment: Pioneer Elite SC-25 - Monster HDP 2400 - Motorolla DVR Cable Box - PS3 80GB (Upgraded to 250GB)

Watch this Video. Guarenteed to laugh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hs8r5-2BI4
Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #684
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Clayton, North Carolina

Quote:
One of the things I've been wanting to do is audition a pair of Totem WIND speakers. There is a dealer about an hour's drive from me that has them on display, or did anyway. I'm gonna call him and see. If he does still have them, I'm definately going for an audition. DLS_222 heard them when he was in Edmonton this summer and said they were the best speaker he has ever heard. I know, that's a pretty significant statement to make, but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they must be gems though!

I also want to go and audition some reasonably power amps, as I've been toying with the idea of going 2-channel 100%. In other words, I might sell my AVR and go with a stereo Integrated Amp or a Power/Pre combo. I'd have to check though if I could get a good price for my Yamaha HTR-6190B first.

It's only a thought, but I'm really leaning towards going that route. Music is 90% of my entertainment enjoyment, and I want better sound than the AVR can provide.

John
I think that is indeed an Excellent Idea and Plan,John. Going a route that takes you towards seperates would(in my opinion)give you a missing element to your music that you may be looking for.

You know I believe seperates have a better chance to provide a more detailed musical sound over most receivers for a number of reasons.
Mainly because some sacrifices have to be made to combine a Pre-Amp/Surround Sound Processor/7 Channel Amplifier for $500.00.

Normally they skimp on the electronics inside the receiver.Which means an undersized Transformer and too few and too small capacitors.This means a lack of True Power from the Amp Portion and more distortion coming out of the Speakers,thus blurring a lot of fine detail within the Music.

Not too mention crosstalk and inadaquite seperation between the components in the Amp section and the components in the Processor and Pre Amp sections.

So an Integrated 2 Channel Amp or a seperate Pre-amp and Amplifier will provide you with what you are looking for and listening for.

However it is also possible to get a lower price receiver with pre-outs.Allowing the Receiver to function as a Pre-Amp and Surround Processor.While connecting one or more seperate amps to provide the Power.

This provides you with seperation of electronics which enables more detail to reach the amplifier.Then the amplifier has an adaquite power supply and higher quality components to reproduce sound that I personally find to have more clarity,detail,and crispness while reproducing both music and a movies audio track.

So I hope you have a Great Time in looking deeper into taking this route.I always find it fun to research new components and new ways of getting overall better sound from my system.

I also you do have a chance to audition the Totem Speakers you had mentioned.I see this as being a Great Way to spend a day listening and looking at new speakers and new components.
-Todd-
7.1/3-D/1080
Klipsch Speakers/JBL Powered Subwoofer/Emotiva AVR/Samsung 3-D Blu Ray/LG 3-D TV/Sewell Speaker Cable
Old 10-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #685
Power Member

Jan 2008

Good afternoon John............... fellas

2ch calling out to you again buddy Might I offer a little ear/eye candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nlg4tYXeVs

enjoy !!!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #686

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
Good afternoon John............... fellas

2ch calling out to you again buddy Might I offer a little ear/eye candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nlg4tYXeVs

enjoy !!!
Hi Andrew!

I'm just not completely satisfied with my sound, although the tweaks, the speaker re-arrangement, the cabling, etc. have improved things. I want more.

I'm perfectly ready to go back to an entire 2-channel setup and have the movie experience take a back seat. If I could get a tube amp I'd be very happy, but I'm not sure that's possible. I've never had much luck buying used equipment, so I'm hesitant to go that route. I will however, keep my ears and eyes open for some dealer demo gear. Maybe I'll get lucky!

John

PS~ I've watched a few of those videos. Kinda cool to see!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #687
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Hi Andrew!

I'm just not completely satisfied with my sound, although the tweaks, the speaker re-arrangement, the cabling, etc. have improved things. I want more.

I'm perfectly ready to go back to an entire 2-channel setup and have the movie experience take a back seat. If I could get a tube amp I'd be very happy, but I'm not sure that's possible. I've never had much luck buying used equipment, so I'm hesitant to go that route. I will however, keep my ears and eyes open for some dealer demo gear. Maybe I'll get lucky!

John

PS~ I've watched a few of those videos. Kinda cool to see!
Hello John !!!

That is the beauty of Leben amps/integrateds, the price can be affordable and quality is second to none !!! I doubt you will ever find many of their pieces on the used market anyhow. They are hand built in Japan. I'm not sure if you follow that market, but take the obsession we have on this side of the pond for 2ch audio & multiply that by a hundred !!! I really do hope you put them on your list when you do decide to audition new gear. I have no doubt that you will find it hard to walk away from, I know I did !!! I know I have tried putting the Leben bug in your ear before, but their gear is an analog addicts dream come true !!!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #688

Jul 2007

Quote:
Hello John !!!

That is the beauty of Leben amps/integrateds, the price can be affordable and quality is second to none !!! I doubt you will ever find many of their pieces on the used market anyhow. They are hand built in Japan. I'm not sure if you follow that market, but take the obsession we have on this side of the pond for 2ch audio & multiply that by a hundred !!! I really do hope you put them on your list when you do decide to audition new gear. I have no doubt that you will find it hard to walk away from, I know I did !!! I know I have tried putting the Leben bug in your ear before, but their gear is an analog addicts dream come true !!!
Hi Andrew!

So what kind of dollars are we talking about for a Leben Power amp? Or an Integrated, if they make them? I'm open to anything and everything at this point.

John
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #689
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Hi Andrew!

So what kind of dollars are we talking about for a Leben Power amp? Or an Integrated, if they make them? I'm open to anything and everything at this point.

John
The amp in the video is $1500 US (new) & the CS300 integrated models start at $2500-$2800 US (new). If you didn't check out the video, please do, it showcases a Leben amp & a little Floyd Not a very long video & the guy does talk about the amp.

http://www.lebenhifi.com/products/index.html

I'm not one for pushing gear, but I know you have budget concerns !!! For the money I have yet to hear anything I've enjoyed more..........

If interested, I've posted this link in the 2ch social group today !!! It's an article from Six Moons about a small get together. I was invited to this event, but my schedule conflicted. I very much regret not attending since I'm sure I could have learned a lot . This is also the place where I bought my Rega P5 & listened to the Leben gear. The owner is a professional musician & music professor at a college. He only specializes in analog and feels that the brands he carries excel at life like music reproduction. Not a long article, two pages with many photos.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour21/1.html

Last edited by mdabb; 10-25-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added something...........
Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #690

Jul 2007

Quote:
The amp in the video is $1500 US (new) & the CS300 integrated models are somewhere around $2500-$2800 US (new). If you didn't check out the video, please do, it showcases a Leben amp & a little Floyd Not very a very long video & the guy does talk about the amp.

I'm not one for pushing gear, but I know you have budget concerns !!! For the money I have yet to hear anything I've enjoyed more..........

If interested, I've posted this link in the 2ch social group today !!! It's an article from Six Moons about a small get together. I was invited to this event, but my schedule conflicted. I very much regret not attending since I'm sure I could have learned a lot . This is also the place where I bought my Rega P5 & listened to the Leben gear. The owner is a professional musician & music professor at a college. He only specializes in analog and feels that the brands he carries excel at life like music reproduction. Not a long article, two pages with many photos.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour21/1.html
Funny you should mention the 6moons get together, I just read that! LOL! How did you manage to get invited to that? A shame you couldn't make it.

And yes, I do have budget concerns at the moment, unfortunately.

I think I checked out that video you sent, but I'll review it again as I'm not sure...going there now.

John
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #691
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Funny you should mention the 6moons get together, I just read that! LOL! How did you manage to get invited to that? A shame you couldn't make it.

And yes, I do have budget concerns at the moment, unfortunately.

I think I checked out that video you sent, but I'll review it again as I'm not sure...going there now.

John
I've been up to his house a few times now as that's where he sells & lets people audition gear. It's a one on one thing & by appointment only. Anyhow I just started picking his brain and before you know it I was there all day. It was like talking to a music anthropologist. He also played acoustic guitar for me as he is a jazz guitarist and studied improvisational jazz. He then put the recording on so I could compare/contrast between live & recorded and how close you can faithfully recreate it at home. Anyhow I expressed that I really enjoyed listening to him talk about various subjects and that it is hard to come by good info regarding audio. I added that I didn't trust a lot of stuff I read on the internet, so he asked if I would like to attend. Stupid me, after coming across that article, I wish I would have known what a treat it was going to be. Won't make that mistake again
Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #692
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

How's it going Andrew & John? I think I've read that 6moon article before. Think some member on here posted the link.
Sony: KDL70W850B 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV, HT-CT150 3.1 Sound Bar, PlayStation 4,
Sony STR-DH740 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver
Drobo FS NAS: 20 terabytes
Synology 213J NAS: 6 terabytes
Vizio: M-Series 32" 120hz 1080p Smart LED TV
Samsung: (2) 28-Inch 4K Ultra High Definition LED Monitor (U28D590D)
Apple: 27" Retina 5K iMac, Mac Mini MGEN2LL/A, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Retina Mini
Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #693

Jul 2007

Quote:
I've been up to his house a few times now as that's where he sells & lets people audition gear. It's a one on one thing & by appointment only. Anyhow I just started picking his brain and before you know it I was there all day. It was like talking to a music anthropologist. He also played acoustic guitar for me as he is a jazz guitarist and studied improvisational jazz. He then put the recording on so I could compare/contrast between live & recorded and how close you can faithfully recreate it at home. Anyhow I expressed that I really enjoyed listening to him talk about various subjects and that it is hard to come by good info regarding audio. I added that I didn't trust a lot of stuff I read on the internet, so he asked if I would like to attend. Stupid me, after coming across that article, I wish I would have known what a treat it was going to be. Won't make that mistake again
Oh man....I feel bad for you! Sounds like it would have been something memorable for a lifetime.

John
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #694
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaWiz View Post
Cool. Did not know that.
Mike read 'The Wal-Mart Effect'. Gives good insight to the non-glory side of Wal-Mart.
Sony: KDL70W850B 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV, HT-CT150 3.1 Sound Bar, PlayStation 4,
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #695
Power Member

Jan 2008

Hello Sean going well & you ??? I posted it in the 2ch group, is that what you are thinking about. If it was someone else, I wonder if they live around me ???

John, yes I'm sure that it would have been special. Good thing he has events a few times a year, next time for sure !!! If I would have known that a lot of professionals & Six Moons were attending I think I could of made the exception. He just said come to my get together in October
Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #696
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Hello Sean going well & you ??? I posted it in the 2ch group, is that what you are thinking about. If it was someone else, I wonder if they live around me ???

John, yes I'm sure that it would have been special. Good thing he has events a few times a year, next time for sure !!! If I would have known that a lot of professionals & Six Moons were attending I think I could of made the exception. He just said come to my get together in October
I'm recovering. Watching Shawshank Redemption. It was probably Dennis that mightve posted it. Maybe you...idk...I skim thru things all over the place on here. Especially at work...helps pass the time.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 AM   #697

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Hi Guys !!

How is everyone . Good I hope .
Brent

Old 10-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #698
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Hi Guys !!

How is everyone . Good I hope .
Hello Brent !!! Wasn't tonight the night Rich was visiting ???
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #699
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

All is well Rhett. Just relaxing. When's the big visit?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #700

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Hello Brent !!! Wasn't tonight the night Rich was visiting ???
Hi Andrew .

Yes it was , They left about 15 minutes ago !

Had fun & he and his wife are A very nice couple .

It was fun & exciting to discuss things that are still new to me with someone that has been doing this A long time !!
Brent

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries