Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Arrival 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #101
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
Callum, out of curiosity which email address are they sending this from? I emailed the consumercare@roadshow.com.au one on May 7 and am still yet to hear from them. It'd be great if they could acknowledge that they've got my details and message too...
The correspondence has been via the Roadshow rep's personalised email.

In order to get them to pay attention I had to send them a couple additional messages on Facebook. Then they were very prompt, emailing me within half an hour after acknowledging my messages.

I have a feeling that once Working Dog got wind of the abomination, and Roadshow realised they couldn't get away with it, they communicated with one another and agreed that a full remaster was necessary. Of course we won't be privy to all the nasty details, but fingers crossed we get the remaster we want.
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-22-2017), Davidian (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #102
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

The rep has agreed to send me a free copy when the new pressing is done. To be honest I'd be more than happy to pay for it if I knew that the new transfer is at least a proper HD scan, to reward them for their efforts assuming they do it right, but it's still a risk. I'll report back when I can.
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-22-2017), fuzzymctiger (05-24-2017), Rick Grimes (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #103
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayagent View Post
No chance of roadshow for the forseeable future re-releasing this with a proper HD blu and some better extras which were on the original "non-bd release". I spoke to someone at working dog, yesterday, and it seems roadshow offered up less money for the dish bluray, than they did for the castle one. The transfer is the US Warner's one(the person from WD mentioned this).
Just out of curiosity, with the knowledge now in mind that Roadshow have announced a ground-upwards HD remaster, what made you think that there was no chance of Roadshow re-releasing this with a proper transfer just because of Working Dog being given less money than The Castle? That doesn't make sense, another deal could always be struck, and Roadshow could always have done a remaster in-house without WD.

Not trying to start a fight, just not understanding why you thought there was "no chance" of a proper Blu-ray, especially since the correspondence you received clearly occurred before Roadshow made the decision to remaster and presumably got in touch with WD to spread the news.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #104
Special Member

Jul 2012

Vox Populi!

Bloody good news. Koudos to Roadshow for doing the right thing.
The Dish is a much loved Aussie film and I'm glad that Australian's voted with their feet and took the disc back to the store. The outrage expressed here might have tipped the balance.

My cousin is a fairly recent convert to BD and this news will be welcoming. He has told me he had recently bought BD's that looked less than stellar and not much better than an upscaled DVD.

The BD format needs to always needs to have the best quality transfers if it is going to survive.

I accidentally picked up a copy of the original Gladiator release. And while the BD looked OK (was DNR'd to death), the re-release looked so much better. I've kept the shite one as an example of how not to do a Blu-Ray transfer... and to show others why keeping a natural film grain allows for an abundant amounts of find detail and is how a film on BD should look.
The Dish was a travesty so Roadshow did the right thing in correcting and recalling it's shoddy work.

Look forward to the new transfer. Thank you for correcting your mistake Roadshow.
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #105

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

I got that email last night now too, so I guess they held off on responses.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Old 05-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #106

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Vox Populi!
I accidentally picked up a copy of the original Gladiator release. And while the BD looked OK (was DNR'd to death), the re-release looked so much better. I've kept the shite one as an example of how not to do a Blu-Ray transfer... and to show others why keeping a natural film grain allows for an abundant amounts of find detail and is how a film on BD should look.
I havn't returned my copy of The Dish yet, maybe I'll do the same. The Ultimate Shite Bluray Example.

Or sell it on ebay as suggested above.
Checkout my Photoblog!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #107

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Well the UK DVD was from Icon and IIRC has more extras than the Roadshow release as came out a year or so later, hence why I had already bought the Roadshow DVD. Not sure if still in print in UK as on Amazon.co.uk it is only 3rd party sellers, Amazon have no stock themselves.

Anyway if Icon still have UK rights I won't hold my breath on seeing a BD here, as their BD releases have dramatically slowed here and only a handful of new titles in the last year.
Hi malcy30. I live in the UK and already checked with Icon prior to purchasing the Roadshow release (see thread #32 - Icon no longer have the UK rights).
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #108

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
I havn't returned my copy of The Dish yet, maybe I'll do the same. The Ultimate Shite Bluray Example.

Or sell it on ebay as suggested above.
I dont think keeping this disc out there is the right thing to do. If you dont want to return it then destroy it completely.
"We got a kinder, gentler machine gun hand."

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #109
Power Member

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
[

Terminator 2 "Skynet Edition" and Predator "Ultimate Hunter" are my go-to demo discs for DNR overkill. I bought the latter right when I began converting - would have been one of the first 10 or so BDs I got - and initially I thought it looked amazing, then the more I watched other movies on the format I realized what a plastic abomination it truly is. I still have the copy that came in the Predator trilogy set - which gives specs on the back cover for the original release, but they obviously "upgraded" it on the sly - and a separate copy of the original, just in case anyone I know hasn't seen it and I need to show them how hilarious it really is.

Anyway, will keep an eye on how this remaster of The Dish turns out. Hopefully they don't bollocks it up this time.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #110
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Anyway, will keep an eye on how this remaster of The Dish turns out. Hopefully they don't bollocks it up this time.

They are not remastering hence all the complaints.

The recall is just to change the sleeve. To remove the strap line on the top of the front cover.

"Transmitting for the first time in stunning High Definition"

and to put somewhere on the sleeve, probably in very small print, it's an upscale of an SD master.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #111
Power Member

Jun 2008
Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
They are not remastering hence all the complaints.

The recall is just to change the sleeve. To remove the strap line on the top of the front cover.

"Transmitting for the first time in stunning High Definition"

and to put somewhere on the sleeve, probably in very small print, it's an upscale of an SD master.
Au contraire.

"22 May 2017

ROADSHOW RECALLS THE DISH BLU-RAY
‘YOU’RE NOT HAPPY, WE’RE NOT HAPPY. LET’S GET THEM BACK AND START AGAIN.’

Dear movie fan and valued customer,
We understand that you love watching movies the way they were meant to be watched - with the best picture and sound quality. This is especially true if you have purchased Blu-ray with the expectation of a High Definition experience. We apologise that The Dish on Blu-ray was of inferior quality and did not meet your expectations. The current conversion of the original 35mm film onto Blu-ray is disappointing... and certainly not befitting one of Australia’s most cherished and admired films. Roadshow is truly sorry for this and would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to the film-makers, as we know their commitment to delivering the utmost quality is of paramount importance.

Effective immediately, we are implementing a total, national recall of all stock of The Dish Blu- ray. If you have bought a copy of The Dish on Blu-ray, please return it to your place of purchase and a full refund will be given to you.

We have also fast-tracked the production of a brand-new re-mastered version in High Definition. This time, the quality of The Dish Blu-ray will be befitting of the film itself. Where we have customer’s details, we will personally inform you of the release date of the new remaster.

Once again, our sincere apologies,
The team at Roadshow"
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing.

4K UHD - The Experts Agree, Occasionally it's a little better!

For Sale: Alfred Hitchcock Boxed Set (AU), Jacques Tati Collection (AU), Warner 50 Film Collection (AU), Hammer Horror Collection (AU)
Thanks given by:
shmn (09-13-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #112

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomephrus View Post
I dont think keeping this disc out there is the right thing to do. If you dont want to return it then destroy it completely.
Haha, it was a joke! I would never pass on this war crime of a transfer to anyone.
Checkout my Photoblog!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:42 AM   #113

Jun 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Took mine back to JB today, they had recall notice about the issue.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #114

Aug 2009

good on roadshow for doing the proper thing, though lets see what the second attempt looks like. I would like a Blu of the movie if done properly
Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #115
Special Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I saw that note from Roadshow on JB's counter, "If You're Not Happy, We're Not Happy." For me, that is total BS.

Fans of Power Rangers tell them we're not happy with their attitude and quality of work with the DVDs, and they respond with "That's your opinion, but like it or not, WE'VE got the rights!"

When I mentioned to them that almost two years after the fact, they hadn't released all of a season, they said "Yeah, so what?"
Throne of Elves Princess Nerwin: Beautiful, pretty, elegant, alluring, hot, radiant, enchanting, stunning, attractive and very, very sexy!!

Frozen's Elsa: Attractive, alluring and sexy with the loveliest hips.

Barbie in CGI: An Exquisite Beauty
Old 08-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #116

May 2017
melbourne aus

bumping up a few months old thread, has there been any kind of updates from either working dog or roadshow about when we might see the re-release of the dish on blu?
I have the email correspondence I had with VR from Late May, pretty much promised a copy would be sent to me when it is ready to go.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #117
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Australia

No news that I know of. If anything it's promising that it's taking so long, it means they're not just going to repackage the old master, hopefully the remaster will be worth it.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #118

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayagent View Post
bumping up a few months old thread, has there been any kind of updates from either working dog or roadshow about when we might see the re-release of the dish on blu?
I have the email correspondence I had with VR from Late May, pretty much promised a copy would be sent to me when it is ready to go.
No. I called about it a couple of weeks ago. Left a message. Never heard anything back.
~{ "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." }~
Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #119

Aug 2013

I had never seen this movie and was looking into grabbing the bluray. My resulting frustrations led me to this forum where the recall was detailed. I thought I might add my two cents.

Here is where amoergosum helpfully provides A/B comparisons between a 720p "webrip" and the bluray. It is recognized that they used the same master.

Well, I think I can confidently suggest that what has actually happened here is that for reasons we may never know, Roadshow actually used said 720p webrip as their source for the creation of the bluray itself. The compression artifacts from the 720p images have been faithfully reproduced in the bluray, and the nature of the bluray's resulting compression artifacts positively scream "multi-encoded". The fact that their upscale from 720p to 1080p needlessly introduced aliasing artifacts on top of everything else is just a tragic bonus.

The point is that there is quite simply nothing accidental or incompetent about deliberately using a sub-par digital video from some website as your source master for a bluray. As far as I'm concerned, what needs answering is whether they did this because they knew they wouldn't have a real master in time, and whether they will in fact ever have one.

Last edited by Asterra; 09-27-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
stevo4264 (09-29-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #120
Power Member

Jun 2008
Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
I had never seen this movie and was looking into grabbing the bluray. My resulting frustrations led me to this forum where the recall was detailed. I thought I might add my two cents.

Here is where amoergosum helpfully provides A/B comparisons between a 720p "webrip" and the bluray. It is recognized that they used the same master.

Well, I think I can confidently suggest that what has actually happened here is that for reasons we may never know, Roadhouse actually used said 720p webrip as their source for the creation of the bluray itself. The compression artifacts from the 720p images have been faithfully reproduced in the bluray, and the nature of the bluray's resulting compression artifacts positively scream "multi-encoded". The fact that their upscale from 720p to 1080p needlessly introduced aliasing artifacts on top of everything else is just a tragic bonus.

The point is that there is quite simply nothing accidental or incompetent about deliberately using a sub-par digital video from some website as your source master for a bluray. As far as I'm concerned, what needs answering is whether they did this because they knew they wouldn't have a real master in time, and whether they will in fact ever have one.
Wow that's freekin abominable, even by Roadshow standards. How thet could give this the green light is simply mind boggling.
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing.

4K UHD - The Experts Agree, Occasionally it's a little better!

For Sale: Alfred Hitchcock Boxed Set (AU), Jacques Tati Collection (AU), Warner 50 Film Collection (AU), Hammer Horror Collection (AU)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia