Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Power Member

Oct 2008
Bloomington, IL
Default Favorite Classic Console?

So what's everyone's favorite classic console? Mine would have to be the SNES... for so many reasons. Most of my favorite games were originally on the system. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Kirby's Super Star, Super Mario World, Super Double Dragon, Mega Man X (and 2 & 3), Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, TMNT in Time... the list goes on and on! The last great Nintendo console...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

NES dude, although SNES did introduce me to what used to be the best video game franchise ever, Final Fantasy.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I have to go with the NES. Still some of my favorite games ever. I never had a SNES so I'm not familiar with the games for it.
Steve
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Mine is still the Atari 2600.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Thanks given by:
segagamer12 (08-02-2016)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Mine is still the Atari 2600.
Thats probably my first experience to gaming,so I would have to agree but I perfer the SNES over NES because it was more reliable and the SNES had dome of my favorite most played games
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
So what's everyone's favorite classic console? Mine would have to be the SNES... for so many reasons. Most of my favorite games were originally on the system. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Kirby's Super Star, Super Mario World, Super Double Dragon, Mega Man X (and 2 & 3), Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, TMNT in Time... the list goes on and on! The last great Nintendo console...
+1

The SNES is my favorite system, many classics from that system!

Final Fantasy IV and VI
Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
Ogre Battle
ActRaiser
Super Street Fighter II
Super Mario Kart
LoZ: Link to the Past
Castlevania IV
Secret of Mana

Awesome system
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

I can't fault anyone for saying their favorite system is the SNES, as it has tons of games that I still play; however, my favorite is the NES. I think it's a generational thing. I noticed the OP is about seven years younger than I am, which makes sense in that context why SNES would be their fave.

I think it's pretty obvious that the NES took home video gaming to the next level, though, which Atari couldn't pull off. I'm too young to remember the hows and whys of the Atari failure, but for whatever reason, they did, and the NES put home gaming on the map for good.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerdkiller likes BD

For me, the Mega Drive. I never had a SNES (pronounced snezz, not es-en-ee-es). Loved Streets of Rage, plus Sega allowed for gore in games, unlike Nintendo until they realised that Mortal Kombat was pointless without gore. Good thing they didn't make the same mistake with MK2.
"BART SIMPSON, YE LITTLE BOLLOX, GET IN THERE AND WATCH KRISSY THE CLOWN!" -Marge Simpson (as stated by V1 of OSW Review)

My stance on Anime...I just can't understand any of it, everyone is either a 10 year old girl or a monster.

Please...just call me NK if you're chatting to me.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

I had an Atari but I'm not sure which version....played Pac Man to death on it though.

Super NES would have to be my pick as well...incredible game library, many of which I still play today.

My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old.
I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced
diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning,
if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while
doing stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
I can't fault anyone for saying their favorite system is the SNES, as it has tons of games that I still play; however, my favorite is the NES. I think it's a generational thing. I noticed the OP is about seven years younger than I am, which makes sense in that context why SNES would be their fave.

I think it's pretty obvious that the NES took home video gaming to the next level, though, which Atari couldn't pull off. I'm too young to remember the hows and whys of the Atari failure, but for whatever reason, they did, and the NES put home gaming on the map for good.
Part of the problem was Atari put out trash like ET. And on top of that other than Activision, no one was doing any better. There were tons of games on the shelves, and most sucked. It was a crapshoot trying to find a good game. Plus about this time the Commodore 64 started grabbing the "hardcore" gamers of the time. If I remember it was around $500 or so.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Baltimore, MD

Mine is probably the Sega Genesis. I loved that system and is probably the system I got the most out of. Aladdin, Zombies ate my Neighbors and Sonic among so many others. What a system.
PS3/X360 Gamertag: Icedburden

Joe: But, you're *not* a girl! You're a *guy*, and, why would a guy wanna marry a guy?
Jerry: Security!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Nes/snes/n64/ps1
Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Developer

May 2003

NES! And if we count non-consoles also: C64, Amiga, Atari and the first PCs, 8086/80186
If I don't reply timely it's not because I'm rude, it's because I'm fixing things elsewhere
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
NES! And if we count non-consoles also: C64, Amiga, Atari and the first PCs, 8086/80186
C64 had some great games.

Stunt Track Racer
Lords Of Conquest
Bard's Tale
Bruce Lee
Beach Head

Most of them I can't even remember.

Btw, I had a C128.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #15

Oct 2009
The Natural State

for me, it was the SEGA SC-3000 (circa 1983)

complete with 16k of ram, 8bit graphics, the games were cartridge based, lucky for me a friend of my Dads at the time was importing games from Japan and Australia and would rent them out to me for a reasonable fee, I got to play most of the catalog of games. Congo Bongo stands out as one of my favorite games.

It never made it stateside, the SC-1000 did in some capacity though

Last edited by gavkiwi; 02-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob71 View Post
Part of the problem was Atari put out trash like ET. And on top of that other than Activision, no one was doing any better. There were tons of games on the shelves, and most sucked. It was a crapshoot trying to find a good game. Plus about this time the Commodore 64 started grabbing the "hardcore" gamers of the time. If I remember it was around $500 or so.
I've done a little Wiki-ing on Atari and its history, and am familiar with the ET fiasco. Pretty funny in hindsight to read about that. Sucks for Atari, though. I recall playing the 2600 pretty heavily a short time after I really got into (and was allowed to play) games. One that really stood out for me on the 2600 was Pitfall. I really enjoyed that game.

It doesn't translate to emulators well, though. My last experience with it via emulator wasn't all that good. I'll have to revisit it, because I did really like that one, and the last time I tried it was on a really crappy setup both computer and television-wise. I really need to get me a 2600-to-USB adapter. They're all over the 'net in pre-fab and DIY flavors, so I should just do it.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Around

3DO ftw...
"Big things have small beginnings...."

Pigeon Boys #04
Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
I've done a little Wiki-ing on Atari and its history, and am familiar with the ET fiasco. Pretty funny in hindsight to read about that. Sucks for Atari, though.
I remember really wanting that one for Christmas. I begged for it. And on Christmas Eve when I opened it and played it I even deluded myself into believing that it was a fun game. I don't think I ever played it again after the first of January. I also never let my parents know what a disapointment the game was, I'm sure my dad elbowed a few parents and kids out of the way to get it for me.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

May 2009
Fujiwara Tofu Shop

It's a tie between the Nintendo 64 and the NES. They are the pinnacle of Nintendo's reputation, until the Wii introduced its revolutionary motion-sensing controls.
My Top 5 Movies of 2017: Dunkirk | Blade Runner 2049 | Logan | Baby Driver | Your Name (Kimi no Nawa)

My Current Avatar: Eureka from Eureka Seven

A lot of people ask me where I get my username from... you're welcome.
PSN ID: kotsedriver
Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
Power Member

Oct 2008
Bloomington, IL

I am gonna have to disagree with the N64 being "the pinacle of Nintendo's reputation", considering how it took them from the top to last in just one generation. That would be like saying that the PS3 put Sony on top, or something...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming