Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pokémon: Season 1 - Indigo League (Blu-ray)
$57.05
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Young Mr. Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$28.35
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.22
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.90
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rock-a-Doodle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Oct 2009
The Natural State
Default Dreamcast (DC) Owner's chime in

In June, I will have owned my DC for 4 years, and ever since I have played video games (1983) this has to be one of my all time favorite consoles.

Why? you may ask. The amount of arcade perfect ports that arrived on the console is one reason, another, the amazing Shoot'em'ups that graced this console, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Karous to name a select few.

I guess, deep down I have a soft spot for Sega, and this console that never really had a chance , Finally, and I believe this was the Achilles' heel of the DC, the ability to 'back up' games is another reason I like it so. I have a spindle of great games that are still fun to play and look great, even to this day.

Now all I need is a VGA adaptor to run this console in all its 480p glory.

Gav
TV: LG 50" 50PS60 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony 60GB phatty PS3, now 500gb hdd (circa 2007)
Receiver: YAMAHA RX-V765 7.2
Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II (Fronts), Polk Audio CS1 Series II (Center), Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf (Rears).
Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Mar 2010
Rep of Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavkiwi View Post
In June, I will have owned my DC for 4 years, and ever since I have played video games (1983) this has to be one of my all time favorite consoles.

Why? you may ask. The amount of arcade perfect ports that arrived on the console is one reason, another, the amazing Shoot'em'ups that graced this console, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Karous to name a select few.

I guess, deep down I have a soft spot for Sega, and this console that never really had a chance , Finally, and I believe this was the Achilles' heel of the DC, the ability to 'back up' games is another reason I like it so. I have a spindle of great games that are still fun to play and look great, even to this day.

Now all I need is a VGA adaptor to run this console in all its 480p glory.

Gav
Dreamcast + Shenmue= Game Heaven

Jack Burton
: When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Still my all-time favorite console. The technology is great and the system has a fantastic library of games (many remain exclusive to this day) given how short the console lasted in the market. The Dreamcast was by far the best console of it's generation in my view. Sadly Sega was very inept at marketing it.

I really miss the days when Sega was a great game developer. Gaming was better when Sega was successful. Now all we get is a garbage Sonic once or twice a year out of them.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Propellarhead9 Send a message via Yahoo to Propellarhead9

I have mine but it hasn't been on in about 6 months or so.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Power Member

May 2008
O-town FL

I still own mine since it first came out. I think my mom paid good 350 for it. Then I bought Sonic, and NBA 2k for it. But my first one kept scratching the disc so we had to take it back to Best Buy. I think that was the problem with the DC, it would freeze up. I think Dreamcast revolutionized what the systems are now. With the ability to play online games on your console, the exact XBOX control look. Reason why I hated Microsoft Xbox was how they did Sega wrong. "Oh we can go ahead and let you use our Windows CE, in return we'll make our controllers look identical to yours and buy you out"! DEAL? not sure if that is how it went down, but if you think about it..... could be right?

I still own these games..
NBA 2k
NFL 2k1
World Series Baseball 2k 1 and 2
UFC
Virtua Tennis

I will never sell this system. But if I did, you think it still worth some $ on ebay?
40 Inch Sony Bravia
PS4
PS3
PSN: slimfranny81
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettucenpico View Post

I will never sell this system. But if I did, you think it still worth some $ on ebay?
Not unless it's a very rare model. I bought a standard model U.S. Dreamcast brand new two years ago online for just $80. I think the price today is still no more than $100 for a brand new console. Though there are rare models worth far more.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #7

Dec 2009
Utah
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Yeah, you can pick them up for about $40 on eBay. I just picked a second one up on eBay for $45 in the box with a couple of controllers.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Power Member

Nov 2009
KY

Bought the Sonic Pack: 1 Blue VMU, Sonic Adventure with demo of SA 2, Sonic Shuffle, Dreamcast Generator Volume 2 and of course came with the console and 1 controller. Which was toward the end of its life. That was the only set Best Buy had.

also
Slave Zero
Virtua Fighter 3tb
EGG: Elemental Gimick Gear
Evolution 2: Far Off Promise
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
Love Hina 2: Smile Again (bootleg)

I love my Saturn more but Dreamcast is a close second as far as SEGA goes.

Last edited by Xtempo; 04-28-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtempo View Post
Bought the Sonic Pack: 1 Blue VMU, Sonic Adventure with demo of SA 2, Sonic Shuffle, Dreamcast Generator Volume 2 and of course came with the console and 1 controller. Which was toward the end of its life. That was the only set Best Buy had.

also
Slave Zero
Virtua Fighter 3tb
EGG: Elemental Gimick Gear
Evolution 2: Far Off Promise
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
Love Hina 2: Smile Again (bootleg)

I love my Saturn more but Dreamcast is a close second as far as SEGA goes.
Ah, the Saturn, great for imports terrible for everything else.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #10

Dec 2009
Utah
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Ah, the Saturn, great for imports terrible for everything else.
Which is why I still don't have one. It's probably the biggest investment as far as retro gaming is concerned.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
Special Member

Dec 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I've had a Dreamcast for around 5 years now and I still love it. Great Arcade Ports is what does it for me.

Heck, I actually own 5 dreamcast consoles

1) The one I bought 5 years ago
2) Black Sega Sports bundle: $20 (haha sucker)
3) Dreamcast used for parts
4) Factory sealed, BNIB White Dreamcast: $50 (to replace #1 if and when it dies)
5) Factory sealed, BNIB White Dreamcast: $50 (bought this sucker yesterday. This one will never be opened)

I'm sitting at 200 legit games, and it keeps rising as some of the local games stores find some for me. The one's I am most impressed that I own are:

Skies of Arcadia, D2, Shenmue, What is Shenmue?, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2.
Samsung 55" LCD, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Oppo BDP-83, Toshiba HD-AX2, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer RFD-1, Onkyo TX-NR808, HTPC
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire View Post
I've had a Dreamcast for around 5 years now and I still love it. Great Arcade Ports is what does it for me.

Heck, I actually own 5 dreamcast consoles

1) The one I bought 5 years ago
2) Black Sega Sports bundle: $20 (haha sucker)
3) Dreamcast used for parts
4) Factory sealed, BNIB White Dreamcast: $50 (to replace #1 if and when it dies)
5) Factory sealed, BNIB White Dreamcast: $50 (bought this sucker yesterday. This one will never be opened)

I'm sitting at 200 legit games, and it keeps rising as some of the local games stores find some for me. The one's I am most impressed that I own are:

Skies of Arcadia, D2, Shenmue, What is Shenmue?, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2.
Ya, I love my Dreamcast like no other console. It has a library of great games (many exclusive) like no other console. Hard to believe a console with so many AAA games died with such a short lifespan. I'm still trying to track down some of the better Dreamcast games in excellent to new condition but some are hard to find.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I still have a DreamCast.

I don't often play it anymore though. My AVR doesn't convert up to HDMI and that's the only cable I run to the projector.

I still have some games when I can I'll pick them up on PS3 now. Like Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Also since I love Virtua Tennis, I bought a newer Virtua Tennis for the PS3.

My kids love Sega Marine Fishing. I don't know why a game like this doesn't exist outside of DC. Simple and fun to play with the fishing controller and you can catch Sharks and SailFish instead of the lake fishing you find in other fishing games.

I love Typing of the Dead. Has to be the funniest learn to type program. I wish it would come to PS3 since you can use Keyboards with PS3.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I still have a DreamCast.

My kids love Sega Marine Fishing. I don't know why a game like this doesn't exist outside of DC. Simple and fun to play with the fishing controller and you can catch Sharks and SailFish instead of the lake fishing you find in other fishing games.
As much as I despised the Dreamcast (mostly for its controller, Rumble Pack and VMU), I'll admit that I enjoyed the fishing controller, as well as the lightgun.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
🎮 Batman: Arkham Knight LE PS4 || 🎮 Uncharted 4 LE PS4 || 🎮 Forza Motorsport 6 LE Xbox One
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #15

Mar 2009
Iowa

I sold pretty much all of the good games I had. So there really isn't any point of having it anymore. It was my first console though, so I am going to keep it.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Special Member

Sep 2007
Jersey

I just threw mine back in the rack. want to use the vga cable but not running a 35ft line to my projector. S-cable will have to do. Yuck!
So sweet, so dead.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #17

Oct 2009
The Natural State

I have just recently obtained some new games in the last week for my DC, it's just such a great system. I saw the rod & reel controller for $15 at a non chain used game store, I should have bought it, but didn't

My next to do for my DC is a vga cable, cant wait to see some of the games in native 480p

Shame the laser guns dont work with plasma/lcd tv's. Would love to play House of the Dead with those
TV: LG 50" 50PS60 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony 60GB phatty PS3, now 500gb hdd (circa 2007)
Receiver: YAMAHA RX-V765 7.2
Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II (Fronts), Polk Audio CS1 Series II (Center), Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf (Rears).
Old 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
I really miss the days when Sega was a great game developer.
Indeed!! The Sega Genesis era was their prime.

I had a DC for a while, had to buy Soul Calibur but they were already on the decline as a software developer in my opinion. Good system for arcade style games (Power Stone 1 and 2, Spawn, Crazi Taxi, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and all the other fighters, etc) Come to think of it, it was more like a Capcom system. They sure did push out of light titles for such a short time span.

I had a Saturn for a bit as well but they didn't have many great games for that other, still some gems like Virtua Fighter II, Panzer Dragoo Zwei (I'd love a remake!!!).

Their controller was awesome for its little diplay VMU (a shame something similar isn't used in newer consoles) and horrible at the same time for its atrocious d-pad.

Last edited by Monkey; 05-04-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
Expert Member

Aug 2008

You guys are making me want to go out and buy another Dreamcast. I thought it was great, the NFL 2K and NBA 2K changed sports games forever. Sega GT and Sega Rally gosh darn it, I want another one
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Indeed!! The Sega Genesis era was their prime.

I had a DC for a while, had to buy Soul Calibur but they were already on the decline as a software developer in my opinion. Good system for arcade style games (Power Stone 1 and 2, Spawn, Crazi Taxi, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and all the other fighters, etc) Come to think of it, it was more like a Capcom system. They sure did push out of light titles for such a short time span.

I had a Saturn for a bit as well but they didn't have many great games for that other, still some gems like Virtua Fighter II, Panzer Dragoo Zwei (I'd love a remake!!!).

Their controller was awesome for its little diplay VMU (a shame something similar isn't used in newer consoles) and horrible at the same time for its atrocious d-pad.
The Genesis may have been their prime but they were a top-notch developer right up through their Dreamcast days. They published many great Dreamcast games in the console's short lifespan. It seems like the minute DC died their game development skills collapsed.

Didn't Namco develop Soul Calibur though? I'm almost positive that isn't a Sega game.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming