Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrival 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Pretty Woman (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX
Default "Mega Man" Games: What's Your Fave, and Why?

OK, at the risk of starting a monumental forum war, this topic is generally intended for respectful, civilized debate regarding the "Mega Man" gaming franchise. So, with that in mind, please follow the age-old standard: if you can't be honorable in here, its best to remain quiet.

Now that the "rules" are firmly in place, here's my picks; what's yours?

Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Mega Man 6 - NES
Mega Man 7 - SNES
Mega Man X - SNES
Mega Man X4 - PS1
Mega Man: The Power Battle - Arcade
MY FLICKR PAGE - LOTS OF HQ MOVIE IMAGES!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

Mega Man 2 is my favorite. I did not play much of them after that but it is one of my favorite games all time.
If I go missing for a time, fear not, I am traveling with The Doctor. The 11th Doctor, Matt Smith.

Twitter: @freenumber6
Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X [PSP] (Wish they would make part 2 dammit, it looks amazing)
Mega Man 8 [PS1]
Mega Man X4 [PS1]
Mega Man 7 [SNES]
Mega Man X5 [PS1]

And there we have it! My top five all time favorite MM games

I hope they someday make a movie.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Well, since no one's taken the time to add their reasons why certain games are their faves, I'll take the lead myself. Here goes...

Mega Man 2

This was the one that started it all for me, or at least what shoved my enthusiasm for the series into high gear. I don't remember which one I played first, this or the original, but this one was played much more often. Looking back, its kind of sad that half the bosses in Dr. Wily's castle are vulnerable to Quick Man's weaponry, but this game still holds a huge nostalgia factor for me. The colors, music, powerups, everything...9/10 all the way for me!

Mega Man 3

What the second game did for nostalgia in my life, the third did for difficulty. Even now, I still have problems beating all the Robot Masters, particularly Shadow Man and the different versions of Doc Robot, who essentially ressurects himself 8 times with the weapons of bosses from "Mega Man 2". This one is also memorable for introducing Proto Man to the series' canon.

Mega Man 6

OK, can anyone say with a straight face that even though this game was dated when it premiered, it didn't rock like crazy? The villains, Castle stages, music, awesome combos for Rush the Robo-Dog...I'd still love to find a cartridge of this someday.

Mega Man 7

I never did get very far in this one, but I remember being very impressed with the facelift afforded by the upgrade to the SNES' hardware. All kinds of stuff got amped up, making for one huge thrill-ride for any fan of the franchise.

Mega Man X

Continuing the kickass tradition that started with the seventh entry, "X" introduces a lot more characters, and challenges to boot. I loved all the suit upgrades, and how cool was Capcom in granting X his own version of Ryu's fireball from "Street Fighter II"?

Mega Man X4

Quite possibly the one Playstation game that ticked me off the most, I still have a few fond memories of playing this one. The final boss gave me the hugest headache though, since I kept losing so many times.

Mega Man: The Power Battle

This one is in my faves list for one reason: its like a huge, highly-detailed coin-op version of "Mega Man 2", and playing it that way thrilled me like crazy.
MY FLICKR PAGE - LOTS OF HQ MOVIE IMAGES!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Propellarhead9 Send a message via Yahoo to Propellarhead9

I would have to say Mega Man X is my favorite. It's the only one I've ever completely played through.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2009

Mega Man 2 The first MM game I played, and I loved it! I like the level and boss design. The weapons were a little overpowered (Metal Blade/Quick Boomerang), and the game wasn't as challenging (I made my own challenges, like beating Quick Man first), but damn was it fun to play!

Mega Man 3 Fun game, and really challenging. Those Doc Robots stages were nasty

Mega Man 4 Another great game in terms of robot/level design.

Those are the three Mega Man games that truly stand out to me. 5 and 6 were formulaic. 7 didn't do too much. 8 was decent. I also don't care too much for the first one. It is hard to see how the series started with the clunky, and very difficult, fist game. I consider Mega Man 2 the game that truly started the series and craze.

Oh, and Mega Man 9 rocks! Great challenge and gameplay! Haven't played 10 yet.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Corpus Christi, TX

Mega Man 3 for me. This was the Only Mega Man Game I owned. The Music alone makes it worth having. I know what some may think. A 8-bit game and you say the Music is the best part?
Call Me Michael Or Mike
Bedroom HT
Front Stage: Polk Monitor 60 (x2) and Polk CS2 - Surrounds: Polk R150s (x2)(Thank You Todd!) - Sub(s) Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 - Equipment: Pioneer Elite SC-25 - Monster HDP 2400 - Motorolla DVR Cable Box - PS3 80GB (Upgraded to 250GB)

Watch this Video. Guarenteed to laugh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hs8r5-2BI4
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2010

Mine will have to be
Mega Man IV

Reason is because it was the first MM game I ever played. Have many found memories of the game. The soundtrack is just absolute killer. Skull Man's stage anyone? Ring Man? I can go on and list every stage theme. Game wasn't too hard like other MM games too. Difficulty is just right. That's one thing I liked about it.

Then I'll have to say
Mega Man IX
The retro in full effect! Game was a bit harder than MMIV, but still awesome! Music again, wins in this one. Great game overall.
Slipcovers Needed: Polar Express 3D, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, BS Dracula, Crank, POTC Trilogy Box, & Bad Boys
For Trade: Narnia: Prince Caspian 3-Disc & Near Mint Underworld Trilogy Slipbox
Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Banned

Feb 2012

Classic: Mega Man 7

Haters gonna hate and maybe it's my undying devotion to the SNES but this one is the funnest for me to play. If we're talking 8-bit, I'm gonna have to go with 5, followed by 3.

Mega Man X is my favorite of them all, though. If you're a MM veteran like me, it's pretty easy but I've played MMX so many times and love everything about it. Best soundtrack, serious storyline, great bosses and as always, a truly badass pair of Sigma battles.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #11

Jan 2012
Massachusetts

Definitely 2 for the NES. I like all of them for NES and the first Mega Man X, but I haven't played any since. 2 wasn't as hard, it had the best music, levels, and bosses of the series to me. Definitely a top 5-10 game on the NES for me.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Dec 2011
Jax, Fl

of the ones i've played so far it would go:

Megaman 3 , ( i really liked the layout on this one. i like the last Wily fight too)
Megaman 5 (first Beat, he was a great add on)
Megaman 2 good game but that last Wily fight was brutal. there was no way to dodge most of his hits
Megaman 6 (love the bots in this one, Centaur Man and Yamato Man, Beat was in it too but not much help)
Megaman (so classic, that fight with the yellow devil was tough! took a lot of practice to get past that)
Megaman 7 good game, the shop was kind of cool.
Megaman X (fun game, but just not as good as the original series, i thought this was one was my favorite for years and then i played all of the originals)
Megaman 4 (didnt know that you need to detonate the missiles you fire, i died so many times before i found this out, everything would bounce off Wily) the hardest of the endurance runs too
Megaman X3 (the last boss is pretty much impossible unless you get the Sabre, which kind of feels like cheating. the chips are a good addition though.

i havent played 8, or X2 yet.

Last edited by knicks999; 05-19-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Mega Man X followed by Mega Man 4.
Instagram: wwehistorian
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming