Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Wailing (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.51
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
USA
Default Nintendo 64 15th anniversary -- What are your N64 memories?

In 1996 the Nintendo 64 came out. When it was first released everyone bought one to play Super Mario 64... and not much of anything else for a while.

It was the most technically-advanced of the fifth generation consoles (PlayStation, Saturn, Jaguar), but the cartridges had a high production cost and limited space compared to their disc-based competitors, and despite selling 33 million consoles, Nintendo saw their popularity drop and lost their top spot in the market share (not having many RPG options really hurt it in Japan).

It also gave us one of the worst games of all time that thankfully I never played -- Superman 64.

But I don't remember logging in as many hours on one console when I was younger as I did on the N64. Granted, it was for the same games over and over again -- GoldenEye, Mario Kart, Dr. Mario, Smash Bros., and WCW/NWO Revenge. Perfect Dark may have been better than GoldenEye but we just didn't get into it as much, and even though Diddy Kong Racing got rave reviews but to us it just paled in comparison to Mario Kart.

So what are your Nintendo 64 memories?

I remember all the hours my friends and I put into Mario Kart, especially Wario Stadium, where the guy with the lightning would wait until someone was making the jump to shrink them. There were also places on the map where you could cheat and jump the track for a shortcut. The very last one where you're racing toward the finish line at full speed and jump the wall instead of making the last two turns was the only one we considered fair to use.

Occasionally we'd also attempt the jump at the beginning of Rainbow Road that would either put us so far ahead if we made it or put us in dead last if we missed.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Has it been 15 years? Man, I feel old. My favorite game was of course Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I loved that game. Never could beat that damn WizPig at the end.
When life gives you limes… make margaritas
Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2010

Super Mario 64 was just stunning.... first time I played it I was at a hospital with a broken rips :-( Ouch.... never forget that because my ribs still hurts every so often these days!

Other moment was in Mario Kart 64 trashing my cousin's 3 ballons with a star on battle mode under 20 secs "I'm Wario... I'm the winner!"

These are my key moments that I truly remember a lot. There are other games but these just stand out the most.
Slipcovers Needed: Polar Express 3D, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, BS Dracula, Crank, POTC Trilogy Box, & Bad Boys
For Trade: Narnia: Prince Caspian 3-Disc & Near Mint Underworld Trilogy Slipbox
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #4

Feb 2008
Southern Utah

Crazy that it's been that long ago. I still have my N64 in my setup and it's still going strong. My first and still favorite game is wcw/nwo revenge. I remember that it was the first wrestling game that I played on the console and it just blew me away. It was just so much better than any other before it.
Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ80U
Panasonic DMP-BD65
Pioneer VSX-830
Polk Audio CS1(Center)
Polk Audio Monitor 60(Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor 30(Surrounds)
SVS PB2000 (Subwoofer)
Panasonic PT-AR100U (Projector)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

That console had so much hype and in the end, overall, it underdelivered (anyone remember their "dream team" of developers?). That was the 1st console that I had to really look around to find one in stock.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #6

Sep 2011
In a galaxy far far away

Wow 15 years unforgettable memories playing supermario 64 for the first time

Playing Goldeneye, banjo kazooie, zelda, mario kart, pokemon stadium, Diddy kong racing i could go on for ages
Follow me on twitter @TheManJordo
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I remember looking forward to Superman 64 for the longest time, as it got delayed so many times it felt like it was never coming out. Probably would have been better off, as it deserves its title of one of the worst games ever made. At the time though, it WAS kind of fun to be able just to fly around in a 3D environment. Just, doing anything else sucked. That seems to be the curse of Superman games. Superman Returns was fun to pick up and fly around for awhile, but once you started actually playing the game it was like, wtf is this!?

I remember my N64 very fondly. Obviously Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time (the first Zelda game I actually got into and loved it), a few of the WWF games, and of course Goldeneye. My friend and I wasted the equivalent of weeks of our lives playing that game.
That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness that turns good men . . . cruel.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2009
Sacramento, CA
-
-

I remember thinking Starfox64 looked lame and very specifically asking NOT to get it for Christmas, which of course I did. I grew to like it aside from that damn frog.

But Turok and GoldenEye...oh man. The GoldenEye obsession is universal, but as a dinosaur nerd, I loved Turok. I wish I could play it again.

Also had Wave Race and Mission: Impossible, which was a great game! I can't remember all the games I had. Never a lot, but I liked them.
Damn fine coffee!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I remember thinking Starfox64 looked lame and very specifically asking NOT to get it for Christmas, which of course I did. I grew to like it aside from that damn frog.

But Turok and GoldenEye...oh man. The GoldenEye obsession is universal, but as a dinosaur nerd, I loved Turok. I wish I could play it again.

Also had Wave Race and Mission: Impossible, which was a great game! I can't remember all the games I had. Never a lot, but I liked them.
I forgot all about Turok! That game was awesome! M:I was another one that kept getting delayed over and over. I enjoyed that one as well, as I was a big fan of the movie when it came out.
That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness that turns good men . . . cruel.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand
Thumbs up

Goldeneye, best FPS I have experienced as a single and multiplayer experience. It made you feel like a special agent in a cinematic classic. Multiplayer had me laughing very hard. (It was the animation of the opposing characters which had some seriously funny moments).

Perfect Dark was great, I whipped that out in 2009 and it looked surprisingly very good on the 40inch tv.

Zelda OoT and Majura's Mask were fantabulous contributions. I loved the universe created.

Pilotwings 64, me and mate used to fly around trying to take the most interesting photos. I won when i got a close up of a window on a building haha.

Star Fox was cool, although I did preffer the Snes version, which had a memorable soundtrack.
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Thanks given by:
SlickDamian (08-13-2014)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Germany

Nintendo 64 is my favorite console ever. I have so many unforgettable memories of it. Games like Super Mario 64, Mario Party, Mario Kart 64, WCW vs. NWO, Banjo-Kazooie etc. are timeless classics. I still use my N64 to this day
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2009

This is the console that introduced me to Legend of Zelda, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I still have one N64 console tucked away, and another in my son's room (which he still plays from time to time).

Never got into the Mario games or Goldeneye (too busy playing Quake & Unreal on PC), but one game that I burned waaaaaay too much time on was F-Zero X. And I really enjoyed Madden 64 too.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Man I miss my N64!

I have so many memories:

Super Mario 64 (best Mario game I ever played)
Star Fox 64 (Rumble Pack aaahhh)
Super Smash Bros. (Pure awesomeness)
Goldeneye (I LOVED that game)
1080° (FUN)
Wave Race 64
Jet Force Gemini

The good ole days....
Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

I bought my N64 specifically to play Super Mario 64. It was an awesome console for me. I still have, and occasionally connect:

Super Mario 64
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Yoshi's Story
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Zelda OOT (best ever)
Zelda Majora's Mask
Rocket: Robot On Wheels

And a ton more. I loved that console.
Tru Blu

Thank you, Blu-ray.com for the Schindler's List Giveaway!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

How could I forget StarFox. Far better than that final Rare abortion "Dinosaur Planet".

But Rare did have one final Nintendo Gem: Conker's Bad Fur Day. Dreadfully disappointed that the x-box port was sanitized.
Tru Blu

Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
How could I forget StarFox. Far better than that final Rare abortion "Dinosaur Planet".

But Rare did have one final Nintendo Gem: Conker's Bad Fur Day. Dreadfully disappointed that the x-box port was sanitized.
I thought it came out for the 360 uncensored too though?
PS3/X360 Gamertag: Icedburden

Joe: But, you're *not* a girl! You're a *guy*, and, why would a guy wanna marry a guy?
Jerry: Security!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedburden View Post
I thought it came out for the 360 uncensored too though?
Nope. Lots of bleeps and blurs. You'd think that 360 would be more open to having the game go full on R-Rated, but the original Nintendo cart is where it's at. Per the Conker Wiki:

The game was originally titled as Conker: Live and Uncut featuring completely uncensored single player experience. Sometime during the development of the game, this was removed and the game was released in a heavily censored form, that censored many minor obscenities that were present in the original Nintendo 64 version. This drew heavy criticism from fans of the original, especially as it detracted from comedic highlights such as The Great Mighty Poo Song. This song was also censored on the soundtrack, but Rare has the uncensored Xbox version on their website. A code to uncensor the words in the single player game was created, but removed from the final product, due to concerns that some retailers would refuse to sell the game. The accuracy of this statement was questioned by some for several reasons. Like the original, the game was rated M by the ESRB and carried warnings about its content as well as Rare's promotional spoof warnings that advertised the fact that the content of the game was explicitly 'adult'. The audio files on the game disc were "pre-censored" and contained the bleeps, meaning they were not censored by the game engine. This indicated that the ability to play an uncensored version of the game (whether by default or an unlock code) was removed at an early point in the game's development. The multiplayer portion of the game is completely uncensored if you first finish single player mode. Players have the option to turn off Bleeps, the option named "Potty Mouth" and features heavy use of obscenities.

Changes from Bad Fur DayEdit
■The graphics have been updated, and many characters have become more detailed, such as Mrs. Bee having eye shadow, Conker having more fur, Tediz getting clothes,and the SHC Sarge having a mustache.
■A majority of characters now have better mouth animations that are better synced to their voice.
■Many obscenities uncensored in Bad Fur Day have been bleeped out. Bad Fur day bleeped out "****","Cock and "****" all the times it was said, "shit" half the times it was said, and "*******" only one of the times it was said. However, in Live and Reloaded, **** is still censored, shit is censored all times it is said, ******* is bleeped all the times it is said, felatio is censored, and twat is censored all the times it is said.The only exception to this is the Great Mighty Poo's song, although it is only uncensored during the credits and not in the battle with him, and the multiplayer mode, but multiplayer is only uncensored if the player has first beaten Single Player.
■The multiplayer has been replaced with a team based shooter that has a story. Some plot holes from Bad Fur Day were filled.
■After exiting the barn after escaping the sewers, the water tower's water is now seen draining, while before the player simply had to find out themselves.
■In Bad Fur Day, before the GMP boss battle, the player must throw one piece of sweet corn in the poo, walk up the path, put 2 in, and then walk up the path and put 3 in. In Live and Reloaded, the player only has to throw one in each time.
■The locations of the cogs in bats' tower is now changed.In Bad Fur Day, one was in a circular room, and two were in the room just past it.In Live and Reloaded, one of the ones from the second circular room was moved to the room with Mr. Cog.
■In Bad Fur Day, upon reaching the it's War chapter, Conker must have an electric eel chase him through underwater generators to turn the power on. In Live and Reloaded, it is simply turned on with a switch.
■Instead of a Tediz being in the big gun in the it's war chapter, Tediz are guarding it.
■When Rodent is getting shot at by Tediz, there are two other squirrels tied up who get killed. They were not present in Bad Fur Day.
■In game cheats were removed.
■Strangely, the first time the wasps are killed the first one's death occurs off-screen. Later, the second time they are killed, the Boss goes farther before being killed.
■Clang Goblings are now common enemies and most can be killed. However, the ones that return from Bad Fur Day can not be killed manually.Also, new doll enemies appear.
■A timer now appears during Bomb Run. It was not present before, but Conker still had the same amount of time.
■Conker's bat replaces his frying pan for most of the game. After attacking the gargoyle with the frying pan, he explains that the developer changed the training stage. Conker then hits him with a bat and uses it for most of the rest of the game.
■When the soldier is electrocuted, he is electrocuted longer and his eye falls out. In a similar case, Berri is shot more.
■After getting guns in It's War, Conker must simply shoot the lock off the door. But here, Tediz assault him before he enters.
■In Bad Fur Day, the waterfall below the bridge goes into a lake that is shallow and the player can walk in. However, in Live and Reloaded, it leads into neverending chasm, and should Conker fall here, he comes out of a pipe near the bridge.
■Conker can now walk around while urinating when he is intoxicated.
■The entrance to Barn Boys is now sealed during the night, possibly due to space issues as the night version of Windy appears to be completely retextured so a night version of Barn Boy was simply skipped. In addition Hangover is also sealed at the beginning of It's War, despite Conker must go through Hangover after he comes from Spooky. Hangover does not have a night version but shaded area seems less obvious, except for the sunlight near the top and if Conker looks up to a blue sky. The entrance to Bat's Tower is left alone and the level is still day.
■The Great Mighty Poo's eyes no longer move.
Tru Blu

Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #18

Apr 2008
under a rock

Definately Goldeneye. I remember it fondly. Me against 3 friends and I don't mean everyone for themselves. It was 3 vs 1 and I would kick their asses everytime. The funniest was when you played the pattern with the washroom and someone always spawned up in the vent. It was an easy kill. Also using the big head and paintball modes.
LG OLED65C7P, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+
PlayStation 4, XBox One, PlayStation 3, XBox 360
Denon AVR-X4300h, Emotiva XPA-5
Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers, Aperion Audio Verus Grand Center, Aperion Audio Verus Grand Surround Bookshelves, HSU VTF-15H
APC H15BLK Power Conditioner & Logitech Harmony Elite Remote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Kinda funny but 15 years ago I was 15. This was the console I first picked up at the time and I never regretted it. My best memories remain GoldenEye 007 and Ocarina of Time. Those two games blew me away and revolutionized gaming forever. When someone asks me what my favorite FPS is I still say GoldenEye 007. GoldenEye laid out the blueprint for all FPS's to come after.

Another underrated gem is Majora's Mask. It's really ashame that LoZ game gets overshadowed by it's more famous older brother Ocarina of Time, because it's still among the finest Zelda games ever made.

The N64 had it's flaws, for me namely it's lack of RPG's as a result of lack of storage space. But overall it was a fantastic system that has stood the test of time. Happy 15th to one of my favorite consoles!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Some random thoughts on the N64. I got my first system from Sears. Funny they had their video game department inside the husky section of the boys department..not by coincidence. My mom let pick it out but I couldn't open it until Christmas. I remember I had to decide between the N64, Playstation, and the Saturn. I can't say what made me decide on the N64 other than Nintendo being the only systems I ever owned at the time and the familiarity with cartridges.
First game I got was Star Fox 64. Ocarina of Time was great...Glad that both games have been re-released on the 3DS. My guilty pleasure was Mission Impossible. It was a horrible GoldenEye knock off but I loved it for some reason. FIFA 98 was the best FIFA game IMO. Best deal I got on an N64 cartridge at the peak of the N64's life was Turok. I found it at a Montgomery Ward going out of business for a whopping 10 bucks when it was still going for 59.99 retail every where else. WCW/NWO Revenge is still my favorite THQ wrestling game. Worst mistake I made was trading in my SNES for Banjo Kazooie. Great game but not worth loosing my SNES over. Ended up pawning my first N64 away for a Playstation so I could play Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid. Again, a poor decision on my part but I was in junior high and had no job so it was worth it at the time. Got my 2nd N64 off of Ebay a couple of years ago. It was Jungle Green with an expansion pack already included...not sure if the later models came with them already installed. I think I paid 35 bucks for it, a broken Playstation, and a Genesis with like 20 games. I love having a disposable income to buy back parts of my childhood and the N64 was a huge part.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming