Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Wailing (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.51
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming

Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Mario Kart was awesome with a bunch of friends, battle mode was great. My favorite video game of all time is Mario Tennis on the N64, an amazing blend of different character types. 4-player doubles action was insane when played by players that knew what they were doing. The updates on latter systems were just never as good, which became somewhat of an unfortunate trend with Nintendo properties. GameCube updates to the classic games simply did not improve on the gameplay of the originals.
Wow, when I saw your name and avatar in a N64 thread a traumatic time from my childhood emerged.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

One of the biggest disappointments for the N64 was Robotech: Crystal Dreams (which was cancelled due to gametek going bankrupt and no one wanted to pick up the ip):

Somehow, beta copies of the game are out there but are very hard to find which makes it rare. I wish someone would remake this game for this gen.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Last edited by Wingman1977; 10-06-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
One of the biggest disappointments for the N64 was Robotech: Crystal Dreams (which was cancelled due to gametek going bankrupt and no one wanted to pick up the ip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lxuQh20FNo

Somehow, beta copies of the game are out there but are very hard to find which makes it rare. I wish someone would remake this game for this gen.
I've never heard of it but that game looks awesome. Too bad they canceled it.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Earthbound 64 was another game that looked promising before it got cancelled. The cut scene in the mine was pretty impressive.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
Wow, when I saw your name and avatar in a N64 thread a traumatic time from my childhood emerged.

Let's Play Superman 64 - Stage 1 Part 2/2 - YouTube
I think EGM gave it the first 0.5 score out of 10...or that might have been MK Advance. I remember one review said Superman looked like a flying log wearing a cape.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #46
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post

Let's Play Superman 64 - Stage 1 Part 2/2 - YouTube
The game was so bad that game developers for years after it tried to avoid making any Superman games. It devastated the character as a brand that could sell a videogame.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Mario Kart was awesome with a bunch of friends, battle mode was great. My favorite video game of all time is Mario Tennis on the N64, an amazing blend of different character types. 4-player doubles action was insane when played by players that knew what they were doing. The updates on latter systems were just never as good, which became somewhat of an unfortunate trend with Nintendo properties. GameCube updates to the classic games simply did not improve on the gameplay of the originals.
Ahh!!, that was an absolute beaut. Waluigi was my favourite.

and while I'm at it, I'll add the Quake 2 and DukeNukem 64 as great multiplayer experiences.

What was the game by RARE that placed you in a bulldozer trying to clear a way for a slow crawling nuclear missile?.
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #48
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
The game was so bad that game developers for years after it tried to avoid making any Superman games. It devastated the character as a brand that could sell a videogame.
lol just watched it SO BAD.
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
Ahh!!, that was an absolute beaut. Waluigi was my favourite.

and while I'm at it, I'll add the Quake 2 and DukeNukem 64 as great multiplayer experiences.

What was the game by RARE that placed you in a bulldozer trying to clear a way for a slow crawling nuclear missile?.
Blast Corps. Also a very good game.

Duke 64 multiplayer was indeed a great experience. It was funny though to play team multiplayer with bots. Sometimes stare at a Duke guy and wonder whether he's your friend or not. A rocket blast later and there's your answer. Always a good idea to have a holoduke handy to find out and not get shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
I think EGM gave it the first 0.5 score out of 10...or that might have been MK Advance. I remember one review said Superman looked like a flying log wearing a cape.
They did give it a 0.5. I remember being at a magazine shop and reading it. I should have bought that issue.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

I still play my N64 (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Star Fox, Mario Party 1/2, sometimes Diddy Kong Racing, etc.).

The first time I ever beat all of Goldeneye on 007 difficulty was my freshman year of college (2006). Throughout college, I could only find one person who equaled my skill in Mario Kart; we raced to a draw when we chose not to use glitches, but in fact he taught me a trick about that game that I had never known... I was pretty good at Smash Bros (preferred to play Time rather than Stock), but Kart was definitely my game.

Last edited by wilky61; 11-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
I still play my N64 (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Star Fox, Mario Party 1/2, sometimes Diddy Kong Racing, etc.).

The first time I ever beat all of Goldeneye on 007 difficulty was my freshman year of college (2006). Throughout college, I could only find one person who equaled my skill in Mario Kart; we raced to a draw when we chose not to use glitches, but in fact he taught me a trick about that game that I had never known... I was pretty good at Smash Bros (preferred to play Time rather than Stock), but Kart was definitely my game.
Wal-Mart used to have an n64 system set up to play. There was a kid beating everyone at Mario Kart 64 and bragged about how great he was. I stepped in and smoked him and that was that. Never saw the kid at Wal-Mart again.

My Collection
Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Wal-Mart used to have an n64 system set up to play. There was a kid beating everyone at Mario Kart 64 and bragged about how great he was. I stepped in and smoked him and that was that. Never saw the kid at Wal-Mart again.
Haha nice. What are your favorite tracks?

I would say Mario Raceway, Sherbet Land, Donkey Kong Jungle, Frappe Snowland, and Choco Mountain are the five that stand out most to me. Flower Cup is my favorite cup.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Around 2002 I broke out my 64 for one of history's funniest video games: Conker's Bad Fur Day!
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #54
Special Member

Jun 2011
Ball So Hard University

My N64 days were from the ages of about 7-11. It was the first console I owned. In those days, I could play a games single player mode over dozens of times and still have a blast. These days, I usually play through single player once and move on to multiplayer if not a different game. I probably spent the most time playing San Francisco Rush, Mario Kart, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and Goldeneye. Every once in a while, my parents would take me to the local rental store on a Saturday and let me rent a game. My most rented games would probably be Blast Corps and Vigilante 8. I can't remember all the games I played, but I'll list some that I remember.

Quest 64
The World is not Enough (always enjoyed this one, but never hear about it)
Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer
Pokemon Snap
Super Smash Bros (Always used Yoshi)
Clay Fighter 63 1/3 (Frequent rental)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 and 2
Excitebike 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

One of my roommates in college last year bought a N64 and we played one of the Mario Party games. it was fun, except the blisters on some of my friends palms from spinning that joystick so hard in some of the games.

Also have a story about a friend of mine who made a deal with his mom in order to get her to buy him Super Smash Bros. I was a big James Bond fan at the time and his mom wasn't a fan of him watching those movies, so she told him she would buy him the game as long as he promised not to watch those movies. I always thought it was funny that he delayed his James Bond watching by a few years in order to get that game early.
Baltimore Ravens 2012 SB Champs!
Chicago Bulls
PSN: OrganizedChaos11
Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
That is awesome! It sounds like something I would have done, back in the day of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
Haha nice. What are your favorite tracks?

I would say Mario Raceway, Sherbet Land, Donkey Kong Jungle, Frappe Snowland, and Choco Mountain are the five that stand out most to me. Flower Cup is my favorite cup.
All of those you mention are among my favorites as well. Of those, I especially liked Choco Mountain. One you didn't mention that I also like is Royal Raceway.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Blast Corps. Also a very good game.

Duke 64 multiplayer was indeed a great experience. It was funny though to play team multiplayer with bots. Sometimes stare at a Duke guy and wonder whether he's your friend or not. A rocket blast later and there's your answer. Always a good idea to have a holoduke handy to find out and not get shot.
That's the game, cheers.

About Duke. a had a 2 player match 1on1 in the stage with a pirate ship you could board from underneath. This was one of our first matches, my mate launched a homing missile and freaking out( with a mix of laughter) I fell into the water, spun around and somehow had managed to contain the missile at lenght, my mate jumped in after me and seeing this silly animation of a "dude" swimming in circles being chased by a "torpedo" had us laughing pretty hard. but in all that I swam past my mate and in doing so was able to get the missile to lock on to him, that was somehow un planned but looked incredibly skillful at the same time. One the best moments of that game . This was way back in 98 haha
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
The very bad is the absolute lack of good games for the 64. I couldn't find one single game outside of Mario 64 for a very, very long time, so I never bothered to ask my parents to buy the Nintendo 64. To this day I've never owned one.
Well, the N64 has a comparatively small amount of official releases. In total, 387 games were made, with 84 being exclusive to Japan, 47 to North America, and just 4 to Europe. This obviously didn't help sales figures at all, but i think what hurt the system more than anything else was Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges, while the first PlayStation and Sega Saturn used CDs. The most popular titles overall were "Super Mario 64", "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", and "007 GoldenEye". A few titles made some good impressions, though, like "Mortal Kombat 4", "Star Fox 64", and the "Turok" series.
MY FLICKR PAGE - LOTS OF HQ MOVIE IMAGES!

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them."
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
Well, the N64 has a comparatively small amount of official releases. In total, 387 games were made, with 84 being exclusive to Japan, 47 to North America, and just 4 to Europe. This obviously didn't help sales figures at all, but i think what hurt the system more than anything else was Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges, while the first PlayStation and Sega Saturn used CDs. The most popular titles overall were "Super Mario 64", "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", and "007 GoldenEye". A few titles made some good impressions, though, like "Mortal Kombat 4", "Star Fox 64", and the "Turok" series.
I'm surprised that Mario Kart 64 didn't crack that list.

I think video games actually need to go back to cartridges, or at least some sort of cartridge/optical disc hybrid with a built-in flash hard drive of a very small size (like 1GB or 2GB something small like that; whatever is enough to store plenty of game data). The way game-saving is done right now and has been done for the past 15 years is kind of silly. You can't even easily and effectively bring a game with the progress you've completed with you over to a friend's house. Read: easily. I know that there are ways, like copying your data to a flash drive, but that's a pain in the arse, and I think it needs to change.

This inherent function of cartridge games was something that I really enjoyed as a kid, and took for granted now that I think about it. I hate that my older son (who's nine) can't simply bring his game of Super Mario Galaxy over to a friend's house, pop the game in, and resume play where he left off when he was playing it at home. It has to be this convoluted process of copying data to an SD card, uploading to the new system, saving again, then re-uploading to original system if you made any further progress. Then you've got the whole aspect of not accidentally overwriting existing data and all of that, like if the friend's console has existing Super Mario Galaxy data, as in this example. That friend would have to back-up his data so as not to lose it if he wanted to resume his own game later (as opposed to my son's game that he brought over)! It's kind of crazy.

Keep in mind that I completely understand how to do it and that it's easy for me, but for someone who's young and/or not really a "computer type," that's a crappy process.
TV: Samsung 50" PN50A550 1080p Plasma
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S550 // DVD: Sony RDR-VX515 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
A/V Receiver: STR-DG920 7.1 Audio/Video Receiver
Speakers: Center Polk CS-1 / Fronts Polk Monitor 60 / Surrounds and Sub SA-FT1H 5.1
Programming: HR-22 DirecTV HD DVR with AM-21 OTA Add-on and DirecTV SD box for PIP
Gaming: Wii and XBOX 360
HTPC: Dell SX260 (emulators, Netflix, and streaming audio and video from server)
The Blu-ray Mini Marquee NOW AVAILABLE →
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #59
Power Member

Aug 2009
Sacramento, CA
-
-

I wonder if Superman will ever get his Arkham Asylum/City...a game that totally gets it right.

But anyway, I forgot about Tony Hawk's Proskater! I never got a PS1, so I had it on the 64 and it was a blue cartridge. I missed colored cartridges, they always stood out and were super cool.
Damn fine coffee!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I wonder if Superman will ever get his Arkham Asylum/City...a game that totally gets it right.

But anyway, I forgot about Tony Hawk's Proskater! I never got a PS1, so I had it on the 64 and it was a blue cartridge. I missed colored cartridges, they always stood out and were super cool.
Titus were going to release a different (and apparently good) Superman game on the Playstation but since the n64 was so heavily trashed, WB didn't renew the license and they cancelled it. There's gameplay footage on youtube.

Superman is probably the hardest superhero to make a game for because he was much more unstoppable thatn any other superhero. He's basically invincible, can fly, is fast enough to make the earth spin backwards and in addition to all that he has laser eyes and x-ray vision. How can they make a game without you going what the hell? This wimp beat me?

Other superheroes still have to dodge bullets and take abuse. Superman doesn't have to dodge anything as long as there's no kryptonite.

My Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > Retro Gaming